2000 UZJ100 Minamalist build thread. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tdtp.org
I am so excited about my upcoming vehicle purchase that I am starting a thread on it even though it hasn't shown up yet, and I have never actually seen it in person. I currently have the title in hand, and I am waiting for my shipping broker to get it picked up.

I recently sold my 1997 FZJ80 that had lots of mods. I decided to sell because we just had our second baby (13 months apart) and it just felt like the right time to move on to something a little more family friendly. I actually had my 80 listed for about a year on craigslist with no real drive to sell it. When people would want to come see it, i usually didn't respond. A couple months ago I got an email from someone fairly local with lots of great questions that proved he had done his research. I didn't want the 80 to go to just anyone, I wanted it to go to an enthusiast who would enjoy it and love it for being a land cruiser, not just a lifted vehicle. Long story short he came down to look at it with his dad, made an offer that I accepted and then watched it drive away.

The hunt for a 100 started immediately. I am no stranger to buying out of state or sight unseen. That's how I bought my 80, and my wifes Camry. I found one here that I liked, and started talking to the owner. After phone calls, probably 1,000 texts etc we agreed on a price and I sent him a check. Check will be there today or tomorrow and I can finalize shipping arrangements.

I have a love affair with Toyota, and it's almost all I have owned.

First toyota, '90 pick up with 22re
SCAN0001.JPG

'96 taco. basic build, thread on here somewhere EDIT: google fu'd it. 96 Taco build thread - Expedition Portal
IMG_2469.jpg

sold the taco for an 80
read the build here. It was very much done on a budget. So far this has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I got to see so many beautiful things and places while in this rig. The memories made are truly priceless. How to build an 80 on a budget - Expedition Portal
IMG_7574.jpg

DSC_0668.JPG

the new chariot
IMG_2422.JPG

Here are the details on the 100 taken from the sales post on mud.

Plasti dipped gold emblems black
Painted the factory rims graphite gray
Installed new OME t-bars and rear springs
Fox rear shocks and KYB front shocks. A set of almost new OME rear shocks will be included with the sell.
SPC upper control arms
315/75R16 Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on the stock rims.
25mm wheel spacers on the front

Doug Thorley Headers and cat back exhaust

Polk speakers installed front and back
Pioneer AVH-5500 DVD player
LED dash lighting
USB charging plug

Everything on it works and it drives great. I changed the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, drive belt, radiator hoses, and a few other things at 235,000 miles. All parts used were Toyota OEM parts. It has one new Toyota OEM CV shaft on the passenger side after the boot on that side failed. I have also had to replace the power antenna mast and most recently the rear brake calipers. They are NAPA calipers but I used Toyota pads. The transmission was flushed at 120,000 miles and again at 218,000 miles.

The only motor oil that I have used in it is Castrol Syntec full synthetic. It has Mobile 1 in the rear diff and transfer case.

New hood struts and rear hatch struts were installed this year also.

UNDER MY OWNERSHIP/STUFF I DID

26 NOV 2015-Ordered full interior and back up LED from PFRAN

25 DEC 2015- Labrak rear hatch antenna mount, firestick antenna.

10 JAN 2016- vehicle arrived via auto transport. Installed gränsfors bruks small forest axe with quick fist mounts.

Early spring- BIOR Diff drop installed.

Late spring 2016- alternator and battery

October 2016- fan clutch

December 2016 new Toyo all terrain, 315 75 16

19 DEC 2016- New OEM u joints in rear driveline.

WKOR sliders Toyota 100 Series/LX470 Rock Sliders-ordered 2/2017. Installed 5/2017 pre Moab.

WANT TO DO

@benc/SLEE front bumper Slee - Toyota 100 Series Land Cruiser Front Bumpers

Marlin Crawler T case reduction gears. Land Cruiser Crawler Gears | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Rear bumper BIOR no swing-outs until we no longer need strollers Custom Bumper For Toyota Land Cruiser

Looking for any and all feedback regarding future mods. Most of these are long term plans. In the immediate future I plan on doing a diff drop and sliders, hence the minimalist title.

Last edited:
Picture of how I got it.
image.jpeg

Most current picture.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 85x
Hey Jon, Nice introduction. I like the throwback picture of you and your 90 pickup.

Excited to see how you build this up :cool:

Thanks Kurt, I appreciate it! I've been seeing your handsome mug on the tube lately, been watching Overland expedition Central America. Looks like an awesome adventure brother!

Thanks Kurt, I appreciate it! I've been seeing your handsome mug on the tube lately, been watching Overland expedition Central America. Looks like an awesome adventure brother!

Handsome eh? You must be confused who I am :D

Hallelujah!!!!!!!

Got a call from the broker today. Truck will be picked up tomorrow and in town on Sunday. Can't believe it's finally on its way!

Looks silver in first pic and white on the car carrier? If it is white, looks just like my 2001.
image.jpeg

You will miss the 80 series but you will not be disappointed with the 100. My 80 is my favorite, even though it is 3fe and is like driving a tractor. I just love how simple it is. But if I am driving more than a couple hours, I get in the 100. Very capable, very solid and safe, quiet, plenty of power. The 80 and the 100 are "exactly the same....only different :)"!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks silver in first pic and white on the car carrier? If it is white, looks just like my 2001.
View attachment 1187920
You will miss the 80 series but you will not be disappointed with the 100. My 80 is my favorite, even though it is 3fe and is like driving a tractor. I just love how simple it is. But if I am driving more than a couple hours, I get in the 100. Very capable, very solid and safe, quiet, plenty of power. The 80 and the 100 are "exactly the same....only different :)"!
View attachment 1187927

It is silver, or some fancy champagne color, can't remember what it's called. I know I'll miss the 80, but my wheeling trips have been scaled waaaay back and when I go, it's usually a 1,300 mile drive to Moab. I think with the right mods this will take me where I want to go in a more family friendly manner.

BTW, that's an awesome collection!

It's here. It's finally here. What an incredible machine. It's so easy to see why land cruisers have such a cult following. I absolutely loved my 80, but this this is light years ahead as far as comfort and power are concerned. I have no dirt time yet, but I know it will take me where I want to go.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I had to officially make it mine today. I find that even the smallest personal touch on a new vehicle really makes it feel like it's actually yours.

I ran this same set up in my 80, all I had to do was remove the third row grab handle on the driver side and (using original hardware) attach the quick fist mounts. Once that was done I had a place to securely store my gränsfors bruks small forest axe.

Side not, this tool was a gift from my wife when our first child was born. A sort of "welcome to fatherhood" gift. I absolutely love it.
image.jpeg

I had to officially make it mine today. I find that even the smallest personal touch on a new vehicle really makes it feel like it's actually yours.

I ran this same set up in my 80, all I had to do was remove the third row grab handle on the driver side and (using original hardware) attach the quick fist mounts. Once that was done I had a place to securely store my gränsfors bruks small forest axe.

Side not, this tool was a gift from my wife when our first child was born. A sort of "welcome to fatherhood" gift. I absolutely love it.
View attachment 1189496

What an awesome welcome to fatherhood gift. Good stuff.

Looking good... time to update that signature!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom