2000 TLC Overheating. Denver Mechanic Recommendations. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2000 TLC. 165k miles. Bought it in October of 2016. When purchased had timing belt replaced as well as new radiator, water pump and thermostat installed.

It's the wife's car. I rarely drive it. She's not mechanically inclined and oblivious to dash gauges. She told me yesterday, "there's a crunching sound coming from what sounds like under the dash. It makes a noise like you're running over ice or something." I ask her how long it's been happening, she said about two or three weeks... Great.

I drove it three weeks ago, I noticed the heater didn't seem to be working well. When warmed up and at operating temps, the heat would blow cool. It only seemed to blow hot if revs were up and you were on the gas. At idle or stopped--cool air.

I drove it last night and once at temp, if I was stopped at a light, the temp would climb right to the red and stay there. Once I started moving it would slowly drop again. Before the temp would rise, I would hear the noise my wife mentioned--a crunching/popping sound behind the dash.

Read through some posts and it seems like it's either thermostat or fan clutch (overheating?)

Any other suggestions?

It pains me to send it to a a shop but I simply don't have the time right now. Can anyone recommend a reputable TLC shop or mechanic on the west side of Denver/Lakewood area?

Much appreciated.

Thanks.

Steven Toyota is close to you, but luck of the draw if you get a good mechanic or not. Slee Off Road is best to the west of you, but may be booked out a few weeks.

I just brought my LC to ATLR off Kipling and 44th. They did a great job on my cruiser. I'd recommend them.

I just brought my LC to ATLR off Kipling and 44th. They did a great job on my cruiser. I'd recommend them.
I had them do a TB/WP, tensioners, pulleys,s erp belt , and thermostat service a few months back. Overall pleased with Jesse and his crew.

I'd also recommend Robbie Antonson up in Boulder, although he's typically booked a ways out. I want to recommend Toy Automotive off 470 near Ken Caryl, but they did leave a few hoses unplugged in my engine bay recently.

If he's willing to take your money, I'd really recommend @2001LC, although he probably would have mentioned it if he was interested...only person or mechanic I've ever unequivocally trusted fwiw.

Thanks guys. If there are any other thoughts or recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

I think there is trapped air in the cooling system. You said when you rev it, the heater blows hot: this made me to think there is not enough coolant to go into the engine top area where the heater hoses are.

When the engine is COLD (not even warm), open the radiator cap and inspect the coolant level. If it is about 1 inch below the top, start the engine with the cap off. Have the cabin heater both front and back set at the highest setting with fans running.

Wear goggles: As the engine heats up monitor the coolant level in the radiator. If you notice it is going down, add coolant but keep it below 1 inch level from the top (don't get coolant into the fan as it will spray the coolant everywhere). Continue to do it until the level stays constant.

This is how I "burp" the systems in all my toyota's.

Rock n roll on the "burp" suggestion. That was it. Looks like there was a little trapped air in the system and a little extra coolant needed.

Thanks again, guys. Especially nissanh. Really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom