200 series differences between markets? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a good day, buddies.
Although I love my pickup truck so much, my little family is growing bigger and bigger, therefore I need to buy a seven seater. Just bought a new Ford Explorer few months ago, but it disappointed me quite a lot, due to excessive road noise and poor reliability, so I made up my mind and decided that I'm gonna pick a new Land Cruiser. My requirements are basically just comfort for long distance dirt road driving and rough surface highway, durability/reliability, and general family duties. My wife is quite sensitive to road noise, so sound isolation is my first priority.
However, here I have three versions of Land Cruiser available to purchase: the one which imported from US, one from UAE and another one from Europe, with some minor different specifications. So I hope u guys could enlighten me a bit about few things below:

1. Does the VX-R V8 (UAE) Land Cruiser have KDSS? And should it be that big difference with on road manner with/without KDSS equipped.
2. Is the AHC (Active Height Control suspension) reliable? I heard that there is some problems with the AHC fluid of the old models. I live a bit too far from the city, so I need my boy to as near trouble free as possible.

Thanks in advance.

How long do you intend to keep the vehicle?

Given your locale, I personally would do #1. AHC has proven very reliable and capable. Yet at some point in its lifetime, you'll need to service it. A standard suspension LC will need suspension service too, but there would be minimal requirements to tackle that.

If you value reliability above all, skip the AHC. It's a good system, but you cannot beat the simple and robust standard suspension. A bunch of us just met a guy from Toyota who was involved in the original testing of the 200 platform over 10 years ago, and someone asked him about the AHC suspension. He basically said he wouldn't want it for the way we use our vehicles - meaning significant off road and likely modifying. I've also heard the same sentiment from a couple of vendors and now Toyota, so the safe bet for durability and longevity is skipping AHC. If you were in the US and there was a dealer just down the road from you, it might be a little different, but living in Vietnam without a dealer close by, I wouldn't want to risk it.

It depends how you use the truck. The 200 AHC is very robust, if you are not going to transform it into a hardcore off roader and loaded lots of weight to it, you will be fine with the AHC 200. It is way better than the 100 series AHC system, not much problem at all. It is very comfortable on dirt road. Get the LX570 very comfy and quite, your wife will love you more, lol =)

I agree I have automatic height control my 2015 LX but if I was in Vietnam with no close dealers even though the new 200s have a very robust automatic hi control system I would want to go with a basic setup

Actually, in VN, the US imported version is very close to LX570 in price, it comes with KDSS and no AHC. The UAE imported one is a bit cheaper, and it has AHC (not sure of KDSS), so it makes me confused a lot.
How long do you intend to keep the vehicle?

Given your locale, I personally would do #1. AHC has proven very reliable and capable. Yet at some point in its lifetime, you'll need to service it. A standard suspension LC will need suspension service too, but there would be minimal requirements to tackle that.

Do u feel if there is any difference in on-road manner between KDSS version and AHC one, buddy? Which is better around the corner?

It depends how you use the truck. The 200 AHC is very robust, if you are not going to transform it into a hardcore off roader and loaded lots of weight to it, you will be fine with the AHC 200. It is way better than the 100 series AHC system, not much problem at all. It is very comfortable on dirt road. Get the LX570 very comfy and quite, your wife will love you more, lol =)

Mostly highway and semi offroad on some broken roads out there. Btw, about the 570, If I spend too much, I'm gonna have hearing impairment either way =))

I agree I have automatic height control my 2015 LX but if I was in Vietnam with no close dealers even though the new 200s have a very robust automatic hi control system I would want to go with a basic setup

If you value reliability above all, skip the AHC. It's a good system, but you cannot beat the simple and robust standard suspension. A bunch of us just met a guy from Toyota who was involved in the original testing of the 200 platform over 10 years ago, and someone asked him about the AHC suspension. He basically said he wouldn't want it for the way we use our vehicles - meaning significant off road and likely modifying. I've also heard the same sentiment from a couple of vendors and now Toyota, so the safe bet for durability and longevity is skipping AHC. If you were in the US and there was a dealer just down the road from you, it might be a little different, but living in Vietnam without a dealer close by, I wouldn't want to risk it.

Thank you, guys. If I do routine maintenance for it, would if affect the AHC longevity? I would love to keep my vehicle in good shape for 7 - 10 yrs of everyday use. Mostly on highway and broken road with semi offroad more often than not (I'm working in coal mine)

Last edited:
Do u feel if there is any difference in on-road manner between KDSS version and AHC one, buddy? Which is better around the corner?

It's no contest really. The AHC setup is outright more capable. AHC and KDSS may corner similarly flat. But that's where the similarities end. AHC will also actively prevent brake dive and squat. And of course maintain constant height regardless of load (to a point). Then there's all the active dampening capabilities, along with user adjustability. Off-road, AHC will be smoother and faster. Not to mention the height control elements to raise up to 80mm (3.15" for those metrically challenged) on demand.

Here's a run down of the capabilities:

The general trade-off is cost and complexity. In your situation, there's actually a discount which makes it a bonus. So then there's the complexity part of it. Everything needs service and potentially fixing at some point. There's plenty of anecdotal examples of AHC going 200k+ which basic maintenance (fluid flush). If you choose to maintain it yourself and can get parts, then go for it. If you are relying on dealership expertise, you'll have to determine if there is.

That said, the 200-series in general is not a basic vehicle. Just about every subsystem is complicated and expensive. Though all very robust and Toyota reliable. AHC is much the same, so there's probably no logical reason to single it out. Go for it.

Last edited:
Actually, in VN, the US imported version is very close to LX570 in price, it comes with KDSS and no AHC. The UAE imported one is a bit cheaper, and it has AHC (not sure of KDSS), so it makes me confused a lot.

Mostly highway and semi offroad on some broken roads out there. Btw, about the 570, If I spend too much, I'm gonna have hearing impairment either way =))

Thank you, guys. If I do routine maintenance for it, would if affect the AHC longevity? I would love to keep my vehicle in good shape for 7 - 10 yrs of everyday use. Mostly on highway and broken road with semi offroad more often than not (I'm working in coal mine)

For your application, the AHC is more than capable and will last many years to come as long as you change the AHC fluid. You will be surprise how good in rides in gravel and mild off road. Road in Vietnam isn't that bad, was travelling in 97 from Hanoi to Sapa, love it. I am from Malaysia and the Auto lower function to get in and out of the vehicle is very useful as well since I am not tall. Getting in and out of my lifted 80 is a lot harder. LOL

Thanks a lot, buddies. I think I made up my mind, UAE LC 200 with AHC is the way to go. However, I still can't figure out why there is such a big difference in price of LC 200 version in VN. Fyi:
1. US imported LC 200 5.7 V8, 18" wheels without AHC: 260k US$
2. US imported LX570 (fully equipped): 350k US$
3. UAE imported LC 200 4.6 V8 with AHC and 20" wheels: 215k US$
4. UAE imported LC 200 5.7 V8 with AHC and 20" wheels: 235k US$

Still wonder why the US imported ones r so expensive even when they have less equippment. UAE ones with better handling by having 20" rims and AHC. So confused.

Thanks a lot, buddies. I think I made up my mind, UAE LC 200 with AHC is the way to go. However, I still can't figure out why there is such a big difference in price of LC 200 version in VN. Fyi:
1. US imported LC 200 5.7 V8, 18" wheels without AHC: 260k US$
2. US imported LX570 (fully equipped): 350k US$
3. UAE imported LC 200 4.6 V8 with AHC and 20" wheels: 215k US$
4. UAE imported LC 200 5.7 V8 with AHC and 20" wheels: 235k US$

Still wonder why the US imported ones r so expensive even when they have less equippment. UAE ones with better handling by having 20" rims and AHC. So confused.

that is weird. The fully loaded with heads up display LX570 is about $95k in the US. Fully loaded Landcruiser is about $85000. Get the UAE spec V8 with more option. Their is only one trim in the US model Landcruiser. You will love the 5.7!

that is weird. The fully loaded with heads up display LX570 is about $95k in the US. Fully loaded Landcruiser is about $85000. Get the UAE spec V8 with more option. Their is only one trim in the US model Landcruiser. You will love the 5.7!

Yup. The saleman of the dealer always tried to persuade me to take the more expensive US imported one (without AHC) and he told me that it has superior handling, comfort and balance on highway speed, with no clear explanation. Weird, sure.

Yup. The saleman of the dealer always tried to persuade me to take the more expensive US imported one (without AHC) and he told me that it has superior handling, comfort and balance on highway speed, with no clear explanation. Weird, sure.

Well, he makes more money with higher price vehicle and probably doesn't know a thing about AVS and AHC. :D

Ive had a bunch of broke ahcs brought into my shop, not good with added weight, pia to fix or replace too.

D4D 200s are beast btw, I really hate driving petrol landcruisers now and I'm a petrol guy

I had a 2011 LX570 and now have a 2015 LX570. The 2015 LX570 AVS feels "better" then the 2011. Did they improve the AVS/AHC between 2011 and 2015?

Hi gang, how's it goin.
Me again, I'm gonna order my land cruiser in the next two days, and if nothing changes, she will arrive within 3 months from now. Thanks so much, dudes for all the advice.
Btw, there r some guys told me that this 4.6L V8 LC200 UAE has inferior build quality of the body and interior compared to the US one, and I should take the GX 460 instead. I will have few more days to decide, and it would be lovely if u guys could shed some light here. Thanks.

Hi gang, how's it goin.
Me again, I'm gonna order my land cruiser in the next two days, and if nothing changes, she will arrive within 3 months from now. Thanks so much, dudes for all the advice.
Btw, there r some guys told me that this 4.6L V8 LC200 UAE has inferior build quality of the body and interior compared to the US one, and I should take the GX 460 instead. I will have few more days to decide, and it would be lovely if u guys could shed some light here. Thanks.

That is a load of bull. All 200's are built in the same plant. One thing to consider though is if that UAE spec is a VX-R or GX-R grade. There are a lot of differences between the two.

Also, I'd take a bare-bones poverty spec LC200 over any Prado any day :)

That is a load of bull. All 200's are built in the same plant. One thing to consider though is if that UAE spec is a VX-R or GX-R grade. There are a lot of differences between the two.

Also, I'd take a bare-bones poverty spec LC200 over any Prado any day :)

I'm gonna take the VX-R, but only the 4.6L one. The 5.7 liter is a bit too expensive for me to handle. I don't have any experience with both the LC200 and the GX, so it's quite hard to decide instantly. How about the interior build quality and longevity between those two, dude?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom