20 gallon fuel tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj80rodngun

GOLD Star
Threads
I've tried to find old threads with similar issue no luck.

At first I thought the fuel gauge was off but after running out of gas couple times I was only able to pack 20 gallons of fuel in. When the low light comes on I can usually pack 18 gallons in. Looking at the tank it looks OEM, I'm wondering if there is a issue with pickup or if it's actually a 20 gallon tank and not 25. Sucks having to fuel up every 220 miles.

^ Sender float won't prevent you getting 20 gallons+ out of the tank.

Check the pickup inside the tank, check the tank hasn't been banged from underneath so the pickup area is deformed.

Carefully check that the pickup and the bracket assembly that holds it is right at the bottom of the tank. Make sure your fuel cap pressure releases when over pressure/vacuum occurs.

cheers,
george.

^ Sender float won't prevent you getting 20 gallons+ out of the tank.

Check the pickup inside the tank, check the tank hasn't been banged from underneath so the pickup area is deformed.

Carefully check that the pickup and the bracket assembly that holds it is right at the bottom of the tank. Make sure your fuel cap pressure releases when over pressure/vacuum occurs.

cheers,
george.

Good point. He did say he ran out of gas and topped off the tank with 20 gallons. My bad.

I already looked for damage, really wasn't wanting to drop the tank but looks like that's only option

What year is your cruiser? I ask because I have a 1991, and I swear I have a 20 gallon tank! Usually keep it full, but the times I've run it low, until the light kicks on, I can fit between 17-18 gallons in it! I know it's low, not just reading low, because a couple times now I've ran it for another 24 miles after the low light kicked on, and it started running out of fuel! Went to station, and only able to load 19.78 gallons! Tank does not show any external trauma, sending unit is right on the money according to how much fuel is actually in the tank too! I know once I hit 175 miles I better start heading to fill up! (Also why I carry 1.7gallon Rotopax, filled, all the time.

What year is your cruiser? I ask because I have a 1991, and I swear I have a 20 gallon tank! Usually keep it full, but the times I've run it low, until the light kicks on, I can fit between 17-18 gallons in it! I know it's low, not just reading low, because a couple times now I've ran it for another 24 miles after the low light kicked on, and it started running out of fuel! Went to station, and only able to load 19.78 gallons! Tank does not show any external trauma, sending unit is right on the money according to how much fuel is actually in the tank too! I know once I hit 175 miles I better start heading to fill up! (Also why I carry 1.7gallon Rotopax, filled, all the time.
Exact same scenario as my 94

I have a 97. Fueled it this am after running it to fumes with the reserve light solidly on and the needle firmly resting at zero. It swallowed 21.446 gallons and that was right up to the brim.

Main fuel tank is nominally 95 litres = 25 US Gallons.

cheers,
george.

Unless they were changed at dealer/dock for some reason. It's weird both of these that are 20 galllon tanks are in the SE.

My wagon was purchased in Mississippi. I'm the second owner and never got more than 20 gallons in.

Mine was bought in Alabama, then came to NC. Hmmnnn.....

One thing Pudelpointer said that got me thinking, he said he's getting a big time vacuum rush when he removes his fuel cap. I've seen some fuel tanks that had a type of internal plastic liner in them. So if the tank has a liner, could it be collapsed making his tank hold less fuel?

One thing Pudelpointer said that got me thinking, he said he's getting a big time vacuum rush when he removes his fuel cap. I've seen some fuel tanks that had a type of internal plastic liner in them. So if the tank has a liner, could it be collapsed making his tank hold less fuel?

Seems like, if it had a liner in it, it would "un-collapse" when you filled it with fuel though. I'm thinking these ones were used as drug smuggling vehicles, and we either both have a large stack of $100 bills plastic coated, or a kilo of coke that was "left behind" taking up space!! Either one we will be happy with once we tear our tanks apart! ☠

Marine7, so i guess if you open yours up, and it's filled with 100 dollar bills, that'll mean this years Mud party is at your house, right?

No plastic liner in my 97 LX450. I had to drop it to fix brake lines and peered in. Nice clean metal and baffles. Alas, no bundle of cash either.

There's a party at Marine7's house?

The woosh of gas is caused by your charcoal canister due to excess pressure that is normally released through there that could be the cause of not being able to fill up more than 20 gallons could be an air pocket caught in one of the tank baffles

Last edited:
What is the pickup tube made of? Metal or rubber? If rubber, maybe it's rotted and the hole in it's side prevents pickup below it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom