1VD-FTV vs 1HD-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys

2 days ago i crashed my beloved HZJ78 in a van on a extreme slippery road. No one got injured but the van is totaled and my land cruiser has some heavy deformation in the frame and the body. The body also has some rust so i think it is the time to buy a new vehicle.

My land cruiser was a 1HD-T swap with H151 gearbox. Engine was rebuilt 2000 km ago, gearbox approximately 10'000 km) engine well tuned with hi flow turbocharger and a lot of horsepower...

Now i stand in front of a decision, either buy a brand new HZJ78 and take the engine and everything from the old car or buying a VDJ78 and drop the wrench.

Since the V8 are not very popular in our territory i am seeking advice about these engines. How reliable are they? Is it generally a good engine and how is it to work on these or is it simply a too modern engine that won't last for long?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Hello guys

2 days ago i crashed my beloved HZJ78 in a van on a extreme slippery road. No one got injured but the van is totaled and my land cruiser has some heavy deformation in the frame and the body. The body also has some rust so i think it is the time to buy a new vehicle.

My land cruiser was a 1HD-T swap with H151 gearbox. Engine was rebuilt 2000 km ago, gearbox approximately 10'000 km) engine well tuned with hi flow turbocharger and a lot of horsepower...

Now i stand in front of a decision, either buy a brand new HZJ78 and take the engine and everything from the old car or buying a VDJ78 and drop the wrench.

Since the V8 are not very popular in our territory i am seeking advice about these engines. How reliable are they? Is it generally a good engine and how is it to work on these or is it simply a too modern engine that won't last for long?

Thanks in advance for your reply

you know living in the USA if I could go out and buy a brand new VDJ78 end of story.

say this to yourself a couple of times - "brand new Toyota engine + powertrain"

I'm not trying to be condescending, I just think it's a no brainer for me.

To my mind (as somone who has owned both) it's not even a question - go buy a new VDJ78. The 1VD-FTV is more reliable than the 1HD-T. Anyone that wants to argue with me can DM😆

Jokes aside the 1VD has been known to clock over 1 million kms here in Australia, yes the injectors are pricey if and when they need doing (as all common rail injectors are). The V8 will make the same if not more power than your 1HD-T with a clutch, exhaust and tune. Just make sure you can find a tuner that can tune it in your local area.

To my mind (as somone who has owned both) it's not even a question - go buy a new VDJ78. The 1VD-FTV is more reliable than the 1HD-T. Anyone that wants to argue with me can DM😆

Jokes aside the 1VD has been known to clock over 1 million kms here in Australia, yes the injectors are pricey if and when they need doing (as all common rail injectors are). The V8 will make the same if not more power than your 1HD-T with a clutch, exhaust and tune. Just make sure you can find a tuner that can tune it in your local area.
Thank you, i appreciate that answer. What about weak points, are there any? I guess the injectors may need to be replaced as usual every 250'000kms?
How easy are these engines to fix?
What about the alternator? Is it easy to replace?

Thank you, i appreciate that answer. What about weak points, are there any? I guess the injectors may need to be replaced as usual every 250'000kms?
How easy are these engines to fix?
What about the alternator? Is it easy to replace?
No inherent weak points to speak of, all my mates VDJ79s had 400,000kms on them before they were sold. All on them were tuned from new. Never replaced the injectors, alternator or anything else.

The alternator is not easy to get to, but it's also not impossible either. The starter motor is in the 'V' like most Toyota V8s, but rarely fails if ever.

The clutch is the only real let down, any added power and it will slip straight away. Unsure of how long they last in stock form, we change all ours straight away to get more power.

Allright, sounds good...

How were these vehicles used? More like hiway driving or more like traveling offroad?
I am going to use the vehicle mostly ofroad, sometimes in dusty environnements

I also had to reinforce the clutch on mine but i guess Xtreme Outback clutch might also have great solutions for the V8 ;)

Allright, sounds good...

How were these vehicles used? More like hiway driving or more like traveling offroad?
I am going to use the vehicle mostly ofroad, sometimes in dusty environnements

I also had to reinforce the clutch on mine but i guess Xtreme Outback clutch might also have great solutions for the V8 ;)
They are used in any way that you can imagine. Mines here in Australia, the hard core bush enthusiast and everything in between. Australia would be the world's capital of dusty rural roads, 79s are the most common vehicle in remote areas by far. I suggest installing the terrain tamer airbox seal kit, that and change the air filter as it should be and you'll have many kms of happy cruising.

They are used in any way that you can imagine. Mines here in Australia, the hard core bush enthusiast and everything in between. Australia would be the world's capital of dusty rural roads, 79s are the most common vehicle in remote areas by far. I suggest installing the terrain tamer airbox seal kit, that and change the air filter as it should be and you'll have many kms of happy cruising.
What is this Terrain Tamer airbox seal kit you speak of?

Wow, do the mining companies really take the VDJ and not the HZJ?
You can't buy a HZJ7# here, haven't been able to since 2007, and why would you?
@Indestructible 47 will confirm I'm a strong supporter of the 1HD family, but with a few simple precautions ( Fuel pre-filter and either EGR off or a catch can) and regular maintenance, the 1VD is a good engine.

I saw one with 750,000 km the other day, was an equipment service vehicle so a lot of site work, and had never been opened.

Ah, i didn't knew that the 1HZ is no longer available in Australia....

So ok, i will start to look around for a VDJ78

Can you guys also give some advice what exhaust i should take? Unfortunately it must be very quiet to pass our noise emission regulations and i cannot simply take a 4 inch straight pipe... Even the Manta "quiet" would be too loud i guess but maybe with some modification it can work...

Ah, i didn't knew that the 1HZ is no longer available in Australia....

So ok, i will start to look around for a VDJ78

Can you guys also give some advice what exhaust i should take? Unfortunately it must be very quiet to pass our noise emission regulations and i cannot simply take a 4 inch straight pipe... Even the Manta "quiet" would be too loud i guess but maybe with some modification it can work...
I assume it'll have a DPF, so any exhaust will be pretty quiet if you keep the dpf fitted.

You can't buy a HZJ7# here, haven't been able to since 2007, and why would you?
@Indestructible 47 will confirm I'm a strong supporter of the 1HD family, but with a few simple precautions ( Fuel pre-filter and either EGR off or a catch can) and regular maintenance, the 1VD is a good engine.

I saw one with 750,000 km the other day, was an equipment service vehicle so a lot of site work, and had never been opened.
Just curious, is the 1HD-T still being produced by Toyota and are parts for it readily available?

Maybe an unpopular vote here.

But id go the the 1HD route if this will be used a lot in africa.

The 1Hx is more common in africa. More parts are available and anyone can repair it. Toyota still sells the HZJ7x to Africa and many parts of the world. Your maintinance spare parts availability is at least 30+ years old.

the VDJ7x is great. has great power and is reliable. But I wouldn't take my VDJ7x to Africa or parts of the world where I know it can't be serviced or diagnosed properly.

That's why my HDJ75 is the choice for global travel.

well i think the vehicle will be taken to africa like tunisia more like for vacation... next travel destinations are australia, canada and maybe south america....

but i was hoping also to hear voices going for the 1HD-T...

i think for australia it does not matter, both engines are very popular there? i have seen a lot of sellers also selling V8 models to africa, where are they going? only south africa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom