1VD-FTV swap into 1HZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really like the 76 . Everything about it. I think about it , i dream about it and i spend days and nights just planning what i would do when i get my hands on one again.
Even though i was over the moon when i owned it. It had some shortcomings that i would like to address when i get my next one.
1. 1HZ Power or lack of it
As much as i like the sound of reliability that is 1HZ it was not funny to get overtaken by a 20 year old rusted russian UAZ in some of the hill climbs
2. Weak R151 Transmission
I spent 3 grand rebuilding the tranny which had done only 100k kms.
However, the funny thing is the same transmission has done 200k kms in my 78 Prado which is 20 years old. Toyota cheaped out on the metals?
3. Interior that is poorer than the 78 Prado which came 20 years before the 76

To remedy those issues i have those options available to me

1. GRJ76 - This option takes out both the problem #1 and the #2 as GRJ76s come with H151 box
But i also brings up another problem. Fuel Range. I could go almost 850kms with a single tank (90L) of diesel with both the KZJ78 and the HZJ76 . I am afraid that would cut down to a lot less impressive number and would require me to carry Jerry cans with 1GR

2. Turbo the 1hz (still stuck with r151)

3 Export a written off VDJ7* from Asutralia and do the swap

4. Interior. Just find a clean Kzj78 from japan and carryover the interior to 76

What is mudders take on those ?

Has anyone done the swap? Or has anyone mated h151 to 1HZ

Here is the small review of both my previous 70s to get the idea of what i am talking about

HZJ76 Cruiser

KZJ78 Prado

Also does anyone here have any info about GCC Spec 70 series equipment list?

Has anyone done the swap? Or has anyone mated h151 to 1HZ

Toyota used the H150 in the HZJ80. So you should be able to do it with the appropriate bellhousing etc

Parts diagram says its a H150 behind the 1GR

Lower 1st and 2nd gear ratio's in the H150f
Maybe one can go straight to H152? The new one that has longer 5th gear . I hated cruising at 100km/hs while the 1HZ screamed its guts out

The museum has two VDJ8s, a VDJ76, a VDJ79, a GRJ76 and a GRJ79. They all state H150F on the door tags.

The museum has two VDJ8s, a VDJ76, a VDJ79, a GRJ76 and a GRJ79. They all state H150F on the door tags.
Yes . I guess they stuck the more heavier duty transmission behind the higher output motors and must have looked at 1HZ and deemed the R151 enough

Maybe one can go straight to H152? The new one that has longer 5th gear . I hated cruising at 100km/hs while the 1HZ screamed its guts out
Yeah, the H152f goes straight in. Lots of people in Aus are doing the swap from the H150f in the vdj7x series. The revised 5th gear is so much better. 2000rpm @ 100km/h compared to 2450rpm on the old h150f. Box price here in Aus is 3.9k retail though.

If someone went to all the trouble of doing a RH to LH conversion they wouldn't need to show mirrored pics. Scam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom