Builds 1UZ Swap into LJ78 Prado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's the plan so far. I am running the 1uz auto box (modded to accept my tcase) so i figure that "should" be the best route

You might have already found this (and its reproduced in lots of forums) but there's great info here:
https://f01.justanswer.com/RbZmAlHy/This+is+how+you+wire+up+a+1UZFE+Engine.pdf

Thank you for posting that! I have a hard copy in my garage and the pdf saved to a tablet, it has been super helpful.

One of the only things I seem to be having a hard time finding information on is what to do about a fuel tank vent and impact sensor. I believe I can rob the sensor from a different vehicles (I believe mustangs are the common one)

Thank you for posting that! I have a hard copy in my garage and the pdf saved to a tablet, it has been super helpful.

One of the only things I seem to be having a hard time finding information on is what to do about a fuel tank vent and impact sensor. I believe I can rob the sensor from a different vehicles (I believe mustangs are the common one)

In all the threads I've trawled doing my research for when/if i do this, I've never seen anything about a fuel vent, interesting. Maybe a vented cap would be enough?

For the impact sensor - do you mean to switch off the fuel pump in an accident or something else? I saw a method for that somewhere, will see if i can find it.

Good point! Ill have to see about a vented cap. Where I live we do not have any sort of emissions testing so Its not super critical that I have a charcoal canister installed.

Were you able to find that info on the impact sensor?

Updates to follow...

Small update. I have been working away on the truck but really haven't had much to post about.

Things I have learned about myself while doing this swap... wiring doesn't scare me anymore... although I haven't got it running yet so...

I ended up pulling the entire harness off the engine

This involved having to pull the 2 piece intake manifold off. I plan to rebuild the factory starter before I put everything back together since it is located in the valley of the engine under the intake (Great spot toyota...)

My tiny work space in front of the truck... does the trick

Some sick soldering (jk) I worked backwards on the stock ls400 body plugs and deleted most wires. There was some important power wires and grounds in there but most of it was garbage. After deleting a bunch of these there was a few joints in the engine harness that needed patching.

Some of the wires removed from the 1uz harness. This includes EGR, Traction control stuff and some ls400 interior bits

I have now pulled the dash from the prado so I could remove the factory engine harness. I also took the time to finish removing the rest of my AC (PO removed most of it long ago)

I've been wondering what to swap into my KZJ78 to tackle this lack of power issue. Following and good luck!

The 1KZTE engine is easy to tune for serious power. Intercool it, and turn up the boost/fuel. You can produce more power than a 1HDT with the right tune. I wish I had that motor!!

A fellow with one of these swapped into a 40 series did a bit of tuning and made 152rwhp and 277ft/lb torque on a dynojet. His modifications were 3" exhaust, intercooler and manual boost controller set to 17psi (and a tune).

A fellow with a 1UZ in an FJ40 dynoed this engine and got 160rwhp (and that was with headers, exhaust, aftermarket EFI).

Landcruisers loose a lot of power through the drive train (~50hp or more depending on the engine power).

150rwhp might not seem like much, but to put these power levels into perspective, a stock HZJ77 puts down about 70-90rwhp. And stock HDJ81 puts down about 90-110awhp. In the KZJ78, you'd basically be doubling your power that you have now.

An intercooler/exhaust/tune is cheaper than an engine swap. And you'll get better fuel economy too!

Last edited:
Thanks! Good to know. Not to hijack the thread but I was considering getting a Haltech ECU to throw at it to have some legit tuning done, since it's a 1KZT-E and I can't adjust fueling. Between the ecu and tuning I'm thinking it's going to run me nearly $2000. I'm currently running a 3" straight pipe off the turbo and the thing is an absolute SLUG. :( It slows down to less than 60mph trying to climb a large hill on the highway. I haven't done anything to mess with the boost yet though.

Thanks! Good to know. Not to hijack the thread but I was considering getting a Haltech ECU to throw at it to have some legit tuning done, since it's a 1KZT-E and I can't adjust fueling. Between the ecu and tuning I'm thinking it's going to run me nearly $2000. I'm currently running a 3" straight pipe off the turbo and the thing is an absolute SLUG. :( It slows down to less than 60mph trying to climb a large hill on the highway. I haven't done anything to mess with the boost yet though.

I'm not even sure a Haltech is compatible with the Denso ECD injection pumps....would be interesting to know for sure though.

Tuning is much simpler than that. Manual boost controller (to raise boost), adjustment at the spill control valve (to increase fuel), and a fuel cut defender at the boost sensor to keep the motor from going into fuel cut over 14psi (most use an adjustable air bleed valve here, but some have also used FCD's or a zener diode).

good morning...im in south Africa and 3 years behind on your built but im almost done with mine ....just a question....what did you do with the oil feed on the bearing in the transfer(the thin pipe that run from the back to the carierbearing in the adapter)...and did you have problems afterwards.

good morning...im in south Africa and 3 years behind on your built but im almost done with mine ....just a question....what did you do with the oil feed on the bearing in the transfer(the thin pipe that run from the back to the carierbearing in the adapter)...and did you have problems afterwards.

I actually ended up going a different route. A super clean 92 lj78 came up for sale in my area, unfortunately with limited time i parted the project. I still have the truck but the engine and trans are gone.

I'm not 100% understanding what pipe you are talking about. Do you have pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom