1st gen tundra springs in a GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DRANGED

Adulting: "But after this week, it'll get easier."
SILVER Star
Threads
I vaguely recall something from a couple years ago suggesting 1st gen Tundra front coils will lift a GX470.

Can anyone corroborate this?
I recall FJC coils supposedly provide a little lift as they're a higher rate if from a slightly lighter build of the 120 chassis, and I assume the Tundra is similar, higher rate coils b/c/ heavier truck.

I've been running a leveler puck for a little front clearance and it's worked very well (for close to a year now) BUT I'd rather have the added clearance from coil vs. just shifting the strut down. I did space my bump stop to account for the shifted strut location and ensure adequate interface to function rather than the shock bottoming out...plus it's just 0.75" puck, so 1.5" affected lift under the skid.
A buddy just put Dobsons on his 5th gen 4R and gained 1.25", so that was a little more of the impetus, AND... I just remembered I have some tundra take-offs out in the shed ;)

Depending on the conversion kit they may work...I know I've seen some folks experiment with 80 springs

Depending on the conversion kit they may work...I know I've seen some folks experiment with 80 springs
Oh, so aftermarket shocks too, like 5100 or 6112? So tthe tundra coils won't just seat in the GX struts?
Yeah, I think I've also read 80 rear coils as a cool conversion work and lift....

Do you have the length of those coils? I don't know if they will seat on a GX strut due to bore and seat, but they look quite thick so they will have a lot more weight handling (same engine). The FJC coils aren't really providing lift to a GX. In most cases it is because they are newer coils vs heavier coils. The FJ weighs a lot less than a GX. My 03 got lifted in 2010. When I lifted (2.5") it went up 5" because of sag in the original suspension. So may be a red herring on the FJC providing lift then will sag fast.

Do you have the length of those coils? I don't know if they will seat on a GX strut due to bore and seat, but they look quite thick so they will have a lot more weight handling (same engine). The FJC coils aren't really providing lift to a GX. In most cases it is because they are newer coils vs heavier coils. The FJ weighs a lot less than a GX. My 03 got lifted in 2010. When I lifted (2.5") it went up 5" because of sag in the original suspension. So may be a red herring on the FJC providing lift then will sag fast.

I've read FJC coils have a higher rate/thicker, but yeah v6 and overall lighter rig so I've not been convinced they'd lift the front, possibly rear as coil swap but again I don't know. And, agreed with the age of bits making a huge difference, I do remember reading your gains with new parts from your first lift.
I'm assuming the Tundra coils have higher rate than GX b/c same engine and truck so higher payload capacity. It's always hard (for me) to find factory spring rates for different coils.

These coils were from a 1st gen Tundra. I forget details of this friend's truck and can't find my references (different phones and lost text strings), I think it was 06 or 07, TRD, extended cab or 4 dr.
Lowish miles for the year.
I've read here and there the different paint codes can tell you driver from passenger and if from 2x4 or 4x4 or regular cab, extended, etc... but I haven't found the orange/blue and orange/yellow pair.

Height is 15.5"

Coil thickness is 18mm

main body diameter is 120ish MM

reduced coil for strut seat is about 112mm

in this rig they were mated to 48510-AF140 bilsteins and a leveling spacer up front and add-a-leaf in rear...

That is taller than any coil available for agx so may not work or be so stiff it would ride like crap

That is taller than any coil available for agx so may not work or be so stiff it would ride like crap
Good beta..how tall are stockers?

Thanks dood! 👍

I've seen 3rd gen 4Rs use them, and OME for rear, gain 2"... I think they're also doing 5100s @ lowest setting... You tube and basic searches land on those forum threads.
I winder how much difference there is in the various tundra springs. 2x4, 4x4, trd, club cab, 4 dr, etc. Etc.
Some say trds are progressive, then there are different stock shicks too . Yellow and blues, and some other color-coding.

🤔

BUT, if these are too tall, then that answers my question. 👍

OME 886s are 403mm (15.86") and the 885s are 395mm (15.55") with the real difference being the load rating. The 886s are 660lbs and 17.5mm thick coils, so maybe the tundra ones are even stiffer? Either way the height is close

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom