1st Gen 4Runner Seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been kicking around seat replacements for the 60. Wanting to keep a semi period vibe I stumbled onto 1st gen 4Runner seats. My question for this group is does anyone have opinions about these seats? Anyone have a set in their 4Runner I could sit in or looking to sell??

Main gripe with the 60 stock seats is the height of the back of the seat and the lack of bolsters. Would be ideal to find a set of grey ones locally because shipping some of the options I’ve found seems like a waste of money…

Thanks in advance for any help!
dIzLZsv.png

jzUUI6W.png

Last edited:
You might check with @MTsoul Don’t know if his seats are stock though…

I can bring my '88 runner to the club meeting next Tuesday if your going to attend. I am fairly confident they are original. Just know that the drivers seat does feel like the foam has broken down significantly at the bottom and lower back. Its on my long list of to dos. I am interested in finding replacements or potentially have an upholstery shop repair it (Rex's maybe).

In my limited research, it seems like lots of folks think the 1st Gen 4runner had some of the most comfortable seats. I think the 2nd gen 4runners are very similar and should be much easier to find/cheaper. I belive the 3rd gen 4runner seats are different yet, and from personal experience they are just ok (owned one for about 6+ years, I think they are stiffer but it's been awhile now).

I don't have any details on the subtle differences in mount hole spacing, though.

I’m in talks with a fellow selling some 1st gens now. He just sent hole dimensions but I’m not holding my breath that they are drop in ready for the 60. In fact I’m sure of it.

I have heard the same though that the first / second gen runner seats have a good rep. Hoping I can rent someone’s time on a welder to make it happen or use an adapter plate.

Those seats are cool! My turbo seats are long gone. Would love to find some. That being said, @MTsoul is right. The problem is that the foam breaks down.

ffYbhci.jpeg

Well I grabbed some 2nd gen 4runner seats(I think?). Reviewed just about every seat swap thread on Mud for 60s along with YouTube and whatever else I could find.

No perfect way to do it but a lot of good inspiration. Want to try and keep these as low as possible once mounted. OPEN to any and all suggestions.

If anyone has done some seat swapping of their own or willing to potentially help me with the welding I’m all ears :) Going to at least buy some angle iron/stock and start the cutting and grinding this weekend.

Sat in the driver seat for 5 min though and that was all the motivation I needed to keep this project going hahah

My 60 series front seats came to me recovered in vinyl, which this winter has cracked and disintigrated. Whatcha gonna do with your 60 seats? I'm in the market for the the fabric at least if you are parting with them. ;)

Keep yah posted but def keeping them as intact back ups in the near term. I’d like to re do these 4runner seats as well and I’d like to keep the 60 seats at minimum so I can keep driving it during that time. If you want to co purchase some 60 fabric though I may be your guy??

Quick update. Spent Sunday evening with a buddy gracious enough to help weld some seat brackets with me!

Pretty dang pleased with this change and learned a ton in the process. Grey matches well enough and totally worth the additional back height of the seat and support.

iVLfiqg.jpeg

4A9deVl.jpeg

OyMb4Fk.jpeg

bwjl4ZN.jpeg

Would be interesting to compare 1st and 2nd get 4Runner seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom