1st Annual Coal Creek Winter Summit (1 Viewer)

Will you attend

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bama4door

Supporting Vendor
Threads
This will be our first of many DLC New Years ride. I have reserved a 9+ person cabin at Windrock Offroad Park for the weekend of January 4th - 6th.

We will also be joining Music City Cruisers out of Nashville @Tennessee80 @ukaviator

Since we have a limited number of beds in the cabin, I need to know if you are 100% in or not. Worst case, we can always rent a 4 person cabin to accommodate more people, or you can choose to tent camp also. Please vote in the poll so we can get a solid head count.

Last edited:
Man what a weekend!

A few of us decided to meet at Windrock Friday around lunch to get some trail time in, while the rest of the group showed up Friday night. The biggest concern leading up to this trip was the rain. The forecast wasn't looking too hot leading up, but leaving out of Birmingham Friday morning the blue skies came out and it was a nice drive. Once we hit Chattanooga, it started to rain a lot and turned pretty nasty for an hour or so. Once we got to Windrock though, it was overcast with no rain. There were 4 of us that arrived early, Tristan @Trist , Joel @Tennessee80 , myself and Alex @alexnorth18

9B998615-22F0-44F5-88DF-1395AB890FD4.jpeg

Last edited:
Once we got our trail passes and checked into the cabin, we set out to run Trail 2 which is a blue rated trail. We even ran into 2 80 series on the way to the trail head. The amount of mud and soupy nasty snot that was on the trails was like something I’ve never seen before. It had been raining on and off in Oliver Springs for the past 2 weeks, so Trail conditions were less than ideal. The first obstacle on Trail 2 was a nice sloppy uphill left turn that was really rutted our. We happened upon the 2 80 series who started a few minutes before us and saw of the 80 series on 40” M/Ts struggling to make it up. Once they were up and out of the way it was our turn. All of us made it up with little issue, check out the videos and pictures below:

90832483-C61C-44CB-A7BF-9514F6ED1D04.jpeg

CE960951-E59E-415D-901F-7E80ACBBE103.jpeg

Alex 100 Series - Trail 2 Windrock

Cole 100 Series - Trail 2 Windrock

Last edited:
Here are most of my good shots from the weekend. I've tried to include all of the rigs. After two tires needed to be changed on the trail I now realize how important having a full-size spare is.

IMG_9748.jpg

IMG_9753.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg

Few more

030CC9E6-8B76-48FD-BC7A-9F42FF104291.jpeg

E893283E-EBA0-4770-A13F-A7344BF7EBEE.jpeg

D51D7A77-6C49-47DF-BB62-126C64E7D768.jpeg

7961E3F8-A3E8-44A9-BFC4-1C859E83B63F.jpeg

Last edited:
Bring your winches, spare tires, and mud terrains! We had a blast, and trail 22 is actually a very fun trail, now that it is washed out

Ok time to continue on the trip report...

So in my last post, we had just finished up Trail 2 and ended up on G1, which is a green connector trail that goes all the way up to the Northeast park of the park. Joel, Tristan, Alex and myself stopped after we saw the elk to regroup and pick our next trail. We initially were thinking trail 11, but it was quite a bit ways North and we were running out of daylight. It was right around 3pm and we were expecting Dan @ukaviator and Kevin to arrive at camp around 6:30pm, so we wanted to make sure we were back on time to let them in the cabin and grab dinner.

We decided to skip Trail 11 and hop onto Trail 13, which was about a mile up G1. At this point it started raining/monsooning and the trail was super wet with puddles/lakes everywhere on the trail. About a 1/4 mike through the trail we came up to a huge downed tree that was across the trail. It had been down for a while because luckily (ha) there were 2 side trails to get around the trail.

Tristan was the first up to go around and made it with no major issues. Alex went next up the 1st bypass, but had to back down bc there was a big rock on the top of the hill he would get hung up on (and he doesn’t have sliders, see pic 1). Once he backed down it decided to trail the 2nd bypass route. Granted both ways were pretty off camber and covered with rocks and cut tree stumps. I hugged the left side of the trail to try and avoid the down tree and was 1/2 way passed it as Tristan and Joel were spotting me down.

I inched down further and then all the sudden my rear end slid into the downed tree. My heart sank and looked in the passenger side mirror to see my rear quarter pressed into the tree. At this point I got out to inspect the damage, and of course it was pouring down rain even harder at this point.

After we inspected the damage, we thought up a solution. Joel pulled up his 62 series at a perpincular angle so he could use a snatch block to a tree and pull me off.

73304C0D-5D61-4B32-8617-D0CEB56C151D.jpeg

F82DE43A-71FA-449E-9E5F-47191762E6EE.jpeg

6B4B9754-F199-44D4-A93C-09FA0FB0CC5C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom