1HZ PS woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Threads
444
Messages
22,238
Location
Derwent Alberta
It has been a while.

I have installed a couple dozen 60/80 series PS over the decades. I have NEVER had to bleed them, install, fill, fire and in a minute or so I have power steering.
Well, that has changed. In the build I am doing I installed a 1HZ into a 1979 BJ40 with a 80 series box. Fired up and nothing. while running i cracked the pressure line to the box and fluid oozed out. That ain't right so ordered new PS pump, not cheap but if it solves the issue then money well spent.
New pump comes in, installed and fired up, nothing again.
to date I have replaced:
2 reservoirs, 2 new return lines, 3 pumps (one from running unit), 2 pressure lines, the 80 series box is brand new (no pressure getting to it anyway),

with engine off and the front wheels in the air, cranked from lock to lock (for literal hours). fired and cranked. read somewhere sometimes you need to bring the rpm up to 3000 for a few seconds, did this. the pressure at the pressure line is a pour now but no pressure.

frustration has set in. I have talked to many cruiserheads and no one has any more suggestions.

If you have had this issue, what did you find?
any suggestions welcome.
 
Did you check a service manual? Not sure about the HZ but for the 2H/12HT if I remember correctly- raise front off ground, return line into a container (can’t remember), engine running move steering wheel right left constantly monitoring/filling the reservoir. One line definitely was disconnected and ran into a container
 
@crushers returns!

How high were front wheels - go up on jackstands or lift front wheels 12-15” - maybe there is an air bubble?
 
Does the pump sound like it is cavitating? Or just not making pressure? If there's no pressure at the pump outlet and no restriction in the inlet then the only thing I can think of would be a missing woodruff key on the pump shaft.
 
Is the vacuum pump working? Rule out the drive side quick and easy.
Check for a restriction from low pressure side but using a funnel right into the pump
 
Did you check a service manual? Not sure about the HZ but for the 2H/12HT if I remember correctly- raise front off ground, return line into a container (can’t remember), engine running move steering wheel right left constantly monitoring/filling the reservoir. One line definitely was disconnected and ran into a container
thank you for the reply, 1HZ lines stay connected.
 
Is the vacuum pump working? Rule out the drive side quick and easy.
Check for a restriction from low pressure side but using a funnel right into the pump
vacuum and injection pump off same drive gear as the PS pump, thank you for the reply
 
Does the pump sound like it is cavitating? Or just not making pressure? If there's no pressure at the pump outlet and no restriction in the inlet then the only thing I can think of would be a missing woodruff key on the pump shaft.
i did consider this, as was suggested from others as well. 3 pumps with their own drive gears (one brand new) all slipping? but yes, i did test each one for slipping before install. thank you for the suggestion, appreciated.
 
Does the pump sound like it is cavitating? Or just not making pressure? If there's no pressure at the pump outlet and no restriction in the inlet then the only thing I can think of would be a missing woodruff key on the pump shaft.
dead quiet, lock to lock, no sound at all.
 
@crushers returns!

How high were front wheels - go up on jackstands or lift front wheels 12-15” - maybe there is an air bubble?
about 6" off the ground and agree, sounds like air in the system ... that will not bleed.
 
about 6" off the ground and agree, sounds like air in the system ... that will not bleed.
Are you bleeding the system with the motor running?

I ask because I had very good success bleeding the PS system (including hydro-boost brakes) with the engine off when I installed the 15B-FT in the 70. Like you indicated, the front axle was on jack stands and I turned the wheel from stop to stop for what may have been close to 2 dozen cycles.

My apology if this was an obvious question that may have already been addressed.
Good luck
 
I realise you're no rookie, but any chance you have the lines the wrong way round on the steering box? (Not sure if they have the same size fittings).
 
Icky had one of these go bad. They are $72 USD from amayama these days.

Screenshot 2026-08-01 at 7.12.43 AM.webp
 
Are you bleeding the system with the motor running?

I ask because I had very good success bleeding the PS system (including hydro-boost brakes) with the engine off when I installed the 15B-FT in the 70. Like you indicated, the front axle was on jack stands and I turned the wheel from stop to stop for what may have been close to 2 dozen cycles.

My apology if this was an obvious question that may have already been addressed.
Good luck
thanks for contributing, yes, the front wheels were off the ground. lock to lock engine off, lock to lock engine running ... many many times each.
 
I realise you're no rookie, but any chance you have the lines the wrong way round on the steering box? (Not sure if they have the same size fittings).
I did check this a few times, they are different sizes but still mistakes happen. they are correct. thank you for asking.
 
Icky had one of these go bad. They are $72 USD from amayama these days.

View attachment 4186853
the one pump is brand new, one from a running truck and the original. I will tear one of the old ones apart to check. thanks for pointing this out.
 
update: one guy suggested that if the rebuilt steering box was bypassing the fluid then the pump would not build any pressure. pulled a box from a running 80 and installed it. fingers crossed and nothing. exactly the same results. grrrr.
so 2 reservoirs, 2 rubber return line, 3 PS pumps, 2 pressure lines, 2 steering boxes ... no blockage left in the system. sheesh.
 
update: one guy suggested that if the rebuilt steering box was bypassing the fluid then the pump would not build any pressure. pulled a box from a running 80 and installed it. fingers crossed and nothing. exactly the same results. grrrr.
so 2 reservoirs, 2 rubber return line, 3 PS pumps, 2 pressure lines, 2 steering boxes ... no blockage left in the system. sheesh.

Same engine though?

What about parking another vehicle close to it and connect up some longer hoses? I know it would be a hassle to make hoses up, but it seems you're well and truly past hassle stage.
 
this almost makes sense, seriously. that would answer the is it "the pump issue" question. thanks for the suggestion.
 
Before you make umbilical cord hoses from one truck to another, have you put the front end up -WAY up- like scary steep incline on blocks?
 
Back
Top Bottom