1HD-T 5 Speed or 1HD-FT Auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing to be aware of is the difference in overdrive ratios between the auto and manual versions. The A442 and A343 have 0.765:1 and 0.753:1 ratios in 4th, respectively. The H150 and H151 have a 0.881:1 5th gear, meaning that all else held constant a manual 80 will turn higher RPM’s on the highway than an automatic. In Japan it probably won’t be an issue, but for people wanting to travel larger distances in the US, for example, dropping a few hundred rpm at cruising speed is really nice.

I wouldn’t be dead set on 24v over 12v; from what I can tell there is very little practical difference. Aim for the nicest example you can afford with the options you want, regardless of age.

Everyone, thanks for your input. I hadn't thought about the stiff engine braking effect of a diesel engine while wheeling in 4-low. As it turns out, I can't find a manual diesel cruiser out here that isn't rusty, expensive, and high miles, so I'm closing on a clean automatic for now. I'll try and find a manual to drive to see if I'm enticed to search for the parts to swap. Almost every car or truck I've owned has been manual, so it was pretty hard to come to terms with this

Everyone, thanks for your input. I hadn't thought about the stiff engine braking effect of a diesel engine while wheeling in 4-low. As it turns out, I can't find a manual diesel cruiser out here that isn't rusty, expensive, and high miles, so I'm closing on a clean automatic for now. I'll try and find a manual to drive to see if I'm enticed to search for the parts to swap. Almost every car or truck I've owned has been manual, so it was pretty hard to come to terms with this

Nice rig! If I wasn't living in Japan right now I'd consider it

Having driven both I'd take the manual for an expedition vehicle and an automatic for hard wheeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom