1HD-FT runs like a NA engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am running a 1996 80 series with 1HD-FT on Auto Gbox.
I have removed my EGT and after a few months the car has been gutless and runs like there is no Turbo.
Patched the boost hose to check for turbo boost and it is approx 0.9 bar.
I suspect might have messed up the hose configurations...

Attached is a pict of my hose config

Any mistakes on the hose config?

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-08 at 22.54.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-08 at 22.54.29 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-08 at 22.54.29 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-08 at 22.54.29.jpeg

@CycloSteve is a whiz bang with this. I can’t tell right off the bat but Steve probably could.

Hard to tell from the pics, but make sure the boost signal to the boost compensator on the injection pump is connected correctly, thats the important one that tells the pump to send more fuel when the boost comes up. That be the only thing on those engines that would have the effect your talking about.

Maybe pull the cover off the boost compensator and ensure the nut holding the diaphragm to the aneroid pin hasn't come loose, allowing an internal boost leak and preventing the boost compensator from adding fuel with boost?

Just go for a drive with the pin completely removed and you'll find out straight away if it's anything aneroid pin related

Wouldn't that allow the follower pin to be fully extended, providing full on-boost fueling all the time?

Yes, spot on. It takes a lot of the guesswork out when chasing faults like this as it could be a number of things. If he's had all the vacuum/boost lines off it's most likely something simple like putting vacuum on the compensator inlet or even boost line run into the compensator vent, the one below the diaphragm preventing the pin from moving down).

It's also always the first step I take when tuning VE pumps - remove the pin completely and adjust/set the max fueling to desired levels/AFR/EGT, then once that's all set you can start working on the pin to remove fueling in the off boost and during spool areas to get it running exactly how you want by making changes to the spring preload and/or making a different profile cut in the pin itself.

Last edited:
Thanks all,
I had another mate who works on Ninjas and checked that the hoses were configured right. He told me that I am missing one part attached with the Fuel Pump, ACSD, which explains why its running lean and no Black smoke at all. The engine was the way it was when I bought the car, without the ACSD and totally gutless. It was removed by the previous owner but wasn't retimed and retarded, and I guess he sold away, to me out of frustration.
When I bought the car I immediately removed the EGT and tidied up the hoses, and thought it was what caused it.

He advised me to get that part and fit it in and see if there is any difference. Otherwise need to retime it, which is another skill to learn.

Thanks all,
I had another mate who works on Ninjas and checked that the hoses were configured right. He told me that I am missing one part attached with the Fuel Pump, ACSD, which explains why its running lean and no Black smoke at all. The engine was the way it was when I bought the car, without the ACSD and totally gutless. It was removed by the previous owner but wasn't retimed and retarded, and I guess he sold away, to me out of frustration.
When I bought the car I immediately removed the EGT and tidied up the hoses, and thought it was what caused it.

He advised me to get that part and fit it in and see if there is any difference. Otherwise need to retime it, which is another skill to learn.

ACSD's only function is to advance timing on a cold start, once the engine is warm it does not affect how the engine runs at all, replacing it is not going to fix your issues. People remove the ACSD as when they fail they send metal through the injection pump requiring an expensive rebuild. ACSD deletes are very common on these trucks as a result.

Yup am learning about the ACSD from other threads on this forum... good info and learning depository

@sealan on the back side of your injector pump (the engine side) is there a lever with an actuator? This is the power control lever (SICS) and it needs vacuum to pull the lever to the full upright position. I have one on my imported FT engine but I don't run any of the emissions gear so I just adjusted the adjusting screw so it's always in the upright full power position.
Polish_20201117_045551109.jpg

Last edited:
@sealan on the back side of your injector pump (the engine side) is there a lever with an actuator? This is the power control lever (SICS) and it needs vacuum to pull the lever to the full upright position. I have one on my imported FT engine but I don't run any of the emissions gear so I just adjusted the adjusting screw so it's always in the upright full power position.
View attachment 2497318
Hey KD, thanks for this tips will try this tomorrow when it's daylight, will def help in the fueling department

Does anyone have a schematic for a 1HDTFT vacuum routing that does no longer uses any of the emmisions stuff on it ?

That question kinda answers itself. If you've removed all the emissions gear then you no longer need any of the vacuum lines that go to any of it. I removed all mine and just kept the vacuum line going to the a/c idle up and have a direct line from a boost source straight to the compensator on the pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom