1FZ to 1HZ swap (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Considering buying another 80 to swap the spare '95 1HZ into, need some convincing it's gonna be as simple as I'm imagining...

Was planning this for my own build, but the difference with 94 & 95 dash and VX vs DX spec got out of hand, then I got carried away and I'm going with an LS. I need a few petrol bits and pieces for the LS swap, full time transfer for regearing and some other bits, I can justify buying a donor for this stuff.

When I pulled my last 80 apart, I kept the engine, trans and transfer, entire harness from headlights to dash to fuel tanks, cluster, both tanks, diesel dual filler neck and fuel lines/ sub tank changeover wizardry. I essentially have an entire diesel 80 that runs without a chassis or cab. I even cut out the tunnel around the shifters so I can just weld that in if the donor is an auto. If only I had a donor to put this stuff in....

So.... If I were to buy a 1FZ 80, same year as my motor, pull the dash and replace the harness front to back, swap in the tanks and drive train, would this pretty much be a turn key swap? The 1HZ is real healthy, has a fresh H150F and I really don't want to sell it, my brother wants a diesel 80 but prices are getting silly, figure I can build him a car and keep the soul of my first cruiser in the family.

Anyone aware of any chassis differences I might need to look out for or some other electrical bits I might have overlooked.

There are some frame differences in auto vs manual, solveable ones, but something to be aware of if you find an auto donor. Do you have the pre-heat timer for the glow system? Pedals, clutch master cylinder, and lines?

This thread might be worth a read too:

So.... If I were to buy a 1FZ 80, same year as my motor, pull the dash and replace the harness front to back, swap in the tanks and drive train, would this pretty much be a turn key swap?

Yes. More or less.

Sounds like you squirreled away all the right bits and pieces.

There's a lot to swap over, so don't expect it's a weekend swap, but by the sound of it you already know this.

Anyone aware of any chassis differences I might need to look out for or some other electrical bits I might have overlooked.

Only chassis difference I can think of is location of transfer case cross member. Bolt holes will be different if your donor has an auto. Ðriveshaft lengths, same deal
Body differences? Clutch pedal assembly and holes and weldnuts for the clutch master won't be there if donor is auto.

There are some frame differences in auto vs manual, solveable ones, but something to be aware of if you find an auto donor. Do you have the pre-heat timer for the glow system? Pedals, clutch master cylinder, and lines?
Yep, the whole lot. I can start the engine with the original ignition barrel and the cluster doesn't show any lights, so it still thinks it's a car.

Yes. More or less.

Sounds like you squirreled away all the right bits and pieces.

There's a lot to swap over, so don't expect it's a weekend swap, but by the sound of it you already know this.
Sounds promising.

Looks like I'm on the hunt for a manual then, I wan't a couple-of-weekends job, not another project. There are three others still waiting to be finished...

I've gone through some diagrams and it looks like if the donor is a '95> and the main cowl harness is swapped the rest of the car will think it's a diesel, possibly repinning some plugs for the fuel tanks, but that's fine.

Cheers guys.

I think I just bought a '93 VX petrol for a steal. Don't want to get ahead of myself in case he sells it under me before the weekend, but 1HZ swap inbound.

I've got 3 weeks before the other project car comes home from paint, this is gonna have to be a reeeeal quick swap, but should be a bit of fun. I can steal a few petrol bits from it I need for my other 80's LS swap. Good times. I'll try to get as much wiring info into this thread as I can.

Bought the VX home today with my mates 40th FT powered 80, very nice.

Will start removing small stuff this week, engine and drivetrain will get dropped on the weekend, with enough time we can throw the 1HZ - H150F - HF1A combo in. During the week I'll finish the harness, I'll draw up a diagram of what I've kept and what gets spliced in to the petrol harness.

Photo shows the original cowl harness on the table, everything to run the 1HZ (inc. factory super glow setup) on the floor below. Super simple harness, replace certain pins in the plugs at the cluster, swap starter trigger wire into this harness and she should be ready to roll.
received_650624746860366.jpeg

20230923_184646.jpg

Last edited:
@DivByZero hoping to rego mine start of November (after I'm back from USA) and want to do some trips over summer.
Sounds good! Drop me a line if you'd like to plan anything together. We're hoping to get out and about a fair bit this summer too. Trying to build up to something bigger, like maybe Uluru or the Simpson Desert 18-24 months from now.

Sounds good! Drop me a line if you'd like to plan anything together. We're hoping to get out and about a fair bit this summer too. Trying to build up to something bigger, like maybe Uluru or the Simpson Desert 18-24 months from now.

Will do. I'm keen to get down to the south coast, maybe Bendethra.
Or mid north coast, but inland a bit

Took the day off, got started pulling the 1FZ. No hiccups, everything went perfectly, not a rusted bolt in sight. First time that's ever happened. Not a nice flat surface where I am, the mighty pajero (my daily) helped me out.

The 1HZ will get looked at tomorrow, already unhooked from everything so really just a case of lifting it out of Boris and dropping it in Doris.

Pretty happy with it overall, time for beer.

1fz3.jpg

1fz2.jpg

1zf1.jpg

1fz4.jpg

1HZ is in, starts up and runs beautifully for the 10 seconds I'll let it go without coolant. I'll get some photos and post em in later.

Trouble now is the glow light not coming on at all. Using the '93 petrol cluster with the diesel gels, pinned the glow light wire into the CEL, nuuuuthin. I'm getting ~6V at the glow rail, both relays are clicking on and after a while one clicks off, so the timer is doing it's job, but without the light working I'm not happy.

So the glow system is working, but no light on the cluster? I'd personally break out the EWD, check what the trigger wire is from the glow controller, and check if you're getting voltage between it and ground when you turn the key. Either that'll fail, or you'll get no continuity between the plug at the controller to the plug at the cluster, assuming the cluster is working downstream. Maybe wire 12v into that end to make sure the bulb comes on when you expect too? All the hard stuff sounds like it's doing what it should.

Glow light gets power from gauge fuse not the controller, that would be way easier to sort. My guess is it goes out when it receives + from the controller and the voltages in opposing directions cancel each other out, I just can't figure out why it won't light up initially. I'll try borrowing a glow timer from another 1HZ car and ruling out if the timer is bung.

Attachments

• glow diagram.pdf
    848.4 KB · Views: 26
Yep, I see (I didn't check the EWD). Maybe try grounding that wire instead then? According to the EWD, if everything else is good, you should have +12v running to the globe, it's just waiting to find a path to GND to complete the circuit. Anyway, swapping over the box is a quick and easy test.

Thinking I might buy a second hand '93 diesel cluster, should swap in correctly pinned, the '95 cluster is pinned totally different.

Hey thanks again for your help the other day. The clutch pedal, master and slave are now in, tank and transfer ready to install. Trans crossmember will be a dodgy install for now, when it's in for paint I'll get it welded up properly.

Pretty sure I don't have any 'glow' light on my 80 which is 1hz from factory in march 1992. I listen for the glow relay to be shut off by the timer if I need to start when its cold cold. Well done scoring a really good 1hz! Most places I've asked want stupid money and there's no guarantee on condition. Same with trying to get a used 1hdt.

Anyway, swapping over the box is a quick and easy test.
Well, it's not the preheat timer. Both timers activated the glow light in my mates HZJ80, neither did in mine. It's either a difference in clusters or I got something wrong with the wiring.

Pretty sure I don't have any 'glow' light on my 80 which is 1hz from factory in march 1992. I listen for the glow relay to be shut off by the timer if I need to start when its cold cold. Well done scoring a really good 1hz! Most places I've asked want stupid money and there's no guarantee on condition. Same with trying to get a used 1hdt.
Didn't cost me a cent, it's my old 1HZ from my DX. I had to put it in something to make room for the V8 in my other VX.

The glow light doesn't really matter, even in snow the light turns off after 2 - 3 seconds, I go by ear same as you. It's tempting to convert to a manual glow system, it is a diesel conversion at the end of the day, not everything needs to work like a factory diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom