1997 Land Cruiser 40th Anniversary Edition build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You don’t find the 4.88’s too low for the diesel? I know generally people like to do that for bigger tires while running the 1FZ but for a diesel.....

Also curious about how you got the main tank situated. I ordered that tank for my build early on but after installing it in the truck it seemed to hang insanely low and was going to be a liability.

You don’t find the 4.88’s too low for the diesel? I know generally people like to do that for bigger tires while running the 1FZ but for a diesel.....

Also curious about how you got the main tank situated. I ordered that tank for my build early on but after installing it in the truck it seemed to hang insanely low and was going to be a liability.
I am not the only one running the 4.88 with 1hdfte on the 80 or 105. Check this guy and his awesome build
105 build

I find it very responsive with the 35 tires. The main tank was pain to put it and I struggled a bit , I have a skid plate for the front part of the tank and also covering the transfer case. The PDF is in some post back.

I am not the only one running the 4.88 with 1hdfte on the 80 or 105. Check this guy and his awesome build
105 build

I find it very responsive with the 35 tires. The main tank was pain to put it and I struggled a bit , I have a skid plate for the front part of the tank and also covering the transfer case. The PDF is in some post back.
Did not say you were the only one. I keep forgetting you decided to run an auto in this setup. What are your RPMs at 70 mph?

Got terrain Tamer knuckle rebuild kit and hand brake kit , quite surprised by the good quality of the kits

A9277B40-DA98-4E44-8757-1460C32B6998.jpeg

B3FA7749-5026-40F7-9748-170DFF54FD7D.jpeg

FEE8B3F6-9C13-4621-A542-3E5DE93BCC17.jpeg

99561101-68F9-4AE5-8065-3A6F6A533455.jpeg

Did not say you were the only one. I keep forgetting you decided to run an auto in this setup. What are your RPMs at 70 mph?
It sits at 2400 rpm at 70mph on flat highway

Interesting. Mine should be around that number with the H152. But not with 4.88s.
Here is the picture from the torque app 115 km/h and 2494 rpm

5A4386D2-E9A2-485B-BD03-E7ECE2B7E43B.jpeg

Last edited:
So the temps are within 75-83 Celsius which I read is standard with the 1HD-FTE engines. New radiator ( 5 years old actually ), new thermostat, new hoses, and new coolant. Also, the viscous coupler is new, quite happy with the temps.

Installed the Delta charging USB ash tray replacement and got new sun visors from UAE
7C262D07-D701-4B75-B3DE-15D5721BD0E0.jpeg
E048FD0F-035A-4741-A113-546C98D0ADE3.jpeg

Scheel-manns are not that crazy expensive in Germany, for traveler seat without the extras the price is 1035 euros which is 1200 USD. Already got the brackets so this is gonna happen soon, the delivery time for these is around 40 days ..

scheelmann.PNG

We did put the new carpet from stock interiors ,not very difficult job if you keep your pace slow.

1B0D0A76-0CF4-429A-81B8-AF30D7F51622.jpeg

53AC89D7-C852-443E-A45D-C5B361DE24D1.jpeg

New sway bar links from @landtank also put the heavy duty sway bar

FB3D6C11-FC6C-4DE0-9879-CF42A503FD4A.jpeg

0460952D-FE20-485F-84C7-F72AE9BE9373.jpeg

Hi,

Gearing was done on the axle,had to buy pinion and ring for that.

For the stearing I had to buy the valve assy 44120-60180 and yes the sloppiness is gone.
View attachment 2691988
Just wanted to circle back around to this.
Replaced my 44120-60180 this weekend and yes! the sloppiness is gone. lol
I did not see on any of the rebuild outfits websites where they specifically say that 44120-60180 is replaced on 80 series boxes. For what they charge I have to assume they must do, or more folk would be disappointed in the results. As you were with yours. But then if they do, why was yours not replaced?
Just sucks you had to go thru the outsourced rebuild and 44120-60180 separately.
But you saved me a mint! :clap: Sincerest thanks. 🙏

Last edited:
So put the skid plate for the transfer case and lra tank. The skid plate wasn't measured properly and had to cut a bit to line up also there is like 10cm space between the tank and the skid plate and the skid plate is hanging pretty low to my liking . I will have to redo this

C9CD8879-6768-4747-8E4E-41C7EA7FB6EC.jpeg

Installed the deltavs panhard relocation bracket and wired up the cruise control. Had little confusion with the wiring diagram

976BCB17-D174-45C8-A8CE-8F92A12E6C53.jpeg

C13A9834-BD95-47FE-B2BD-B76C96E4289E.jpeg

So yesterday went with the cruiser for a short trip ( around 100 miles ) parked and went to the trail, when we came back the car wasn't starting. It was cranking but not catching at all, after a while I realized that the CEL light is missing, turned that the AM2 fusible link is broken. Seems strange that this happened after I wired the cruise control. Fortunately had the spare with me so changed that and we went home. Also, the fusible links eyes are too small for the odyssey battery so had little drama making the eye bigger. I will see if the fusible link will keep blowing or not. I am thinking that maybe some 1FZ ignition-related stuff is hanging free and causing this.

So yesterday went with the cruiser for a short trip ( around 100 miles ) parked and went to the trail, when we came back the car wasn't starting. It was cranking but not catching at all, after a while I realized that the CEL light is missing, turned that the AM2 fusible link is broken. Seems strange that this happened after I wired the cruise control. Fortunately had the spare with me so changed that and we went home. Also, the fusible links eyes are too small for the odyssey battery so had little drama making the eye bigger. I will see if the fusible link will keep blowing or not. I am thinking that maybe some 1FZ ignition-related stuff is hanging free and causing this.

Is that AM2 fusible link a gas/diesel specific or used on both? I have an old fusible link in my rig but the markings are mostly gone. I'd like to get a new one but I'm not sure what to order!

Is that AM2 fusible link a gas/diesel specific or used on both? I have an old fusible link in my rig but the markings are mostly gone. I'd like to get a new one but I'm not sure what to order!
If I am right it is used on both, basically, all in-house electrics stayed from the 1FZ, the modified loom has two ( one 15AMP, second 30AMP ) sources directly coming from the battery ( through the blue sea fuse box ). I think you should just go with the 1FZ fusible links, btw, what did you do with all the EFI stuff ( relays, fuses, etc ). I still have all that stuff in the car.

Last edited:
If I am right it is used on both, basically, all in-house electrics stayed from the 1FZ, the modified loom has two ( one 15AMP, second 30AMP ) sources directly coming from the battery ( through the blue sea fuse box ). I think you should just go with the 1FZ fusible links, btw, what did you do with all the EFI stuff ( relays, fuses, etc ). I still have all that stuff in the car.
I didn't do the engine install my my rig. I bought it from another member... which makes trouble shooting interesting. I believe he pulled the engine harness and did away with most of it. The interior harness might be left untouched. I know there are some unusual things in my rig. Sounds like buying a 1fz fusible link setup might be the way to go regardless... I really want to have a trail spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom