1997 FZJ80 - Roof Rack Question w/ Rhino Rack Sunseeker Awning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying real hard not to overthink this...I have the factory roof rack on my '97 but I also have a Rhino-Rack Sunseeker awning that I want to install for summer adventures.

I've searched the forums A LOT but can't find the information I'm looking for:

1. Will the stock/factory roof rack hold the weight of the Sunseeker? I can't find load information but I'm inclined to think it should be OK as it only weighs 25 pounds
  2. If the stock/factory roof rack WILL hold the weight of the Sunseeker, is this advisable?
  3. If not factory/stock, which roof rack should be used?
On that last one, should the Yakima bars be utilized? If so, what type? "A-Pillar"?

Or should I just go with a roofrack basket to attach the awning to?

Thanks in advance!

your factory rack is good for just about nothing. How would you even mount an awning to it? you need something on the side to mount it to, not a cross bar.

Looking at the sunseeker website gets you just about all the answers. here is one particular piece of information you need.

• Fits all Rhino-Rack and Thule roof racks with specific fitting kits
So yeah you would want a separate rack and you'll want to search here for the preferred version rack but I bet it is gutter mount. Not sure what you mean by "A-Pillar" bars?

anyway when I talk to folks who have no idea about racks I try to steer them to a store that specializes in auto racks. here is one in Oregon. Go there and let them guide you. You are going to get lost in overanalyzing what is a simple process.

your factory rack is good for just about nothing. How would you even mount an awning to it? you need something on the side to mount it to, not a cross bar.

Looking at the sunseeker website gets you just about all the answers. here is one particular piece of information you need.

• Fits all Rhino-Rack and Thule roof racks with specific fitting kits
So yeah you would want a separate rack and you'll want to search here for the preferred version rack but I bet it is gutter mount. Not sure what you mean by "A-Pillar" bars?
Cool, thanks!

The factory rack has the opening on the inside to slide the bars back and forth...I am only assuming that "L" brackets can fit into these slots for an awning?

I would expect a strong wind gust could damage the factory rack mounting (rivnuts in the body) with an open awning that is tied down (such as while camping). I also would not trust the factory rack to handle that awning on a series of rough washboard roads. As noted above, the port-installed (factory) rack is just not very stout. Most folks on here remove the factory rack and search for rust at the rack body mounts. My big 270 awning (obviously quite different than your Sunseeker) gives the Prinsu rack a workout when the wind kicks up. An old-school gutter-mount rack like a Thule would likely be able to handle your Sunseeker awning, with or without a rack basket.

To answer the initial question, yes you could install your Sunseeker directly to a factory 80 rack. the product is called an OEM rail bracket: awning brackets — Gamiviti - https://www.gamiviti.com/awning-brackets
IMG_8578.jpg

Another option, and more suited towards the Sunseeker, would be a multi bracket with the OEM rail kit. Here's a shot of this, bolted to a 100 series, and Sunseeker awning. Also with traction ramp brackets across the top. Multi Brackets — Gamiviti - https://www.gamiviti.com/multi-brackets
IMG_0461.jpg

it'll twist a little though, as the 80 factory rack is among the weakest out there those brackets work better on new models, like 100 series, 200, GX470, etc. as those factory racks are way stronger than what came on the 80. it's not about wind when you're set up, its more about the fatigue on the highway.

Third option is yes, you can do an L bracket on that inside track of your OEM rail, then bolt a cross bar to that, then the awning to the cross bar. This would be way way better than just mounting the awning to only one of the rails using the brackets above. I call those L brackets accessory angle brackets: Rack Brackets — Gamiviti - https://www.gamiviti.com/rack-brackets you can get some 1x2 80/20 directly from 80/20, or Amazon, etc.

as others have said though, the 80 factory rack is among the weakest out there... At least the sunseeker is really lightweight though, so that works to your advantage,

But since you have a truck with rain gutters, your options for upgrading to an actual rack, or a cross bar system independent of your factory rack, are numerous, and would likely result in a much more substantial setup.

Last edited:
I pained over this as well.
Eventually went with a Rhino-Rack to attach the awning to. This involved removing the outside rails and leaving the ribs in place. Then using gutter mounts for the rack itself. The mounting options are vast using a rack with an awning. Plus no modification of the OEM 'rack'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom