Builds 1997 6M1 Collectors Edition Restore and Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a really nice looking truck. I really like the green, but I'm partial to gray interiors. I haven't seen many green 80's with a gray interior - did they make m/any?
The roof line with no factory rack and no rear hatch wind deflector looks great. I think it looks a lot better than with a big rack, or even the factory rack. I have crossbars and on awning on mine full time, and I go back and forth about removing them. The awning is useful in the SoCal sun and desert, but I do think it detracts from the lines and look of the truck. The 80 lines are just so nice on their own, there isn't much that improves the stock look.
Nice truck, nice seats, nice Porsches! Carry on!

That's a really nice looking truck. I really like the green, but I'm partial to gray interiors. I haven't seen many green 80's with a gray interior - did they make m/any?
The roof line with no factory rack and no rear hatch wind deflector looks great. I think it looks a lot better than with a big rack, or even the factory rack. I have crossbars and on awning on mine full time, and I go back and forth about removing them. The awning is useful in the SoCal sun and desert, but I do think it detracts from the lines and look of the truck. The 80 lines are just so nice on their own, there isn't much that improves the stock look.
Nice truck, nice seats, nice Porsches! Carry on!
@bicycleagent003 I feel like the pre 95 green 80's often had the gray interior but the 95-97's seem to be in oak. But that is just my un-scientific opinion. I do agree on the roof rack comment. I bought a Rhino Rack to put on this truck but never did the install. I may put it on during the summer for hauling canoes but will probably take it right back off when it cools down. Thanks for the compliments!

Nice build! I’m fixing up my 6m1 ce with grey interior currently. You’ve given me faith that my paint might turn out ok with a little love.

C965073F-8D99-482E-B4D4-5915E472EE71.jpeg

I just bought my first 80 series as well and this is inspiring. Where did you find the trim to replace the wood-grain? Mine is pretty rough and I like the black plastic look better.

I just bought my first 80 series as well and this is inspiring. Where did you find the trim to replace the wood-grain? Mine is pretty rough and I like the black plastic look better.
@hen so it just depends on the piece. The black trim pieces are generally still available new from Toyota. The oak colored pieces are NLA so you will have to find used.

Reactions: RJH
It’s been a long, slow journey to get this barn built. My epoxy floors finally hit their cure date and I washed up a couple of cruisers to finally get them back home. I had a couple here and a couple there. The green 80 really looks good inside though. I know there are some haters for the 6M1 but I think the color change from green to black and some blue look really good under the lights. Only downside is the green 80’s life in this spot is short lived. I can probably stack 8 cruisers in this space but really only 5-6 comfortably. Unfortunately, it’s not gonna make the cut. I’ll need to clean it up a bit before I try to find a new home for her but she looks pretty good right now.

F1D0DDDA-BE3C-458B-B2E3-66C331153663.jpeg

This truck has a new home effective today. I really hated the thought of selling this truck but I was about to have a storage problem again and a local guy happened to be looking for a nice 80 series. So I got a new friend, the truck is staying local, and I made some room. Win win win. I’m going to nudge him to take over the thread.

New owner checking in and with a truck to be ecstatic about. Great to get it from you, John, and look forward to putting it to use with new friends and new family alike.

I’ll be brief for now, but quick story. Been talking with John for some weeks now with a few visits to his place to look over the rig, but it turns into more as there is too much cool happening at @jmlockwood Enterprises. Cool guy and cool toys. We booked this past Friday to come get the LC with my wife in tow. Picked up truck, put a tag on it, got lunch, and brought past-due pregnant wife home. Made sure all was well at the home front and tossed my pup in the back to test out the sliding windows for a victory lap. I get back home and settle in with a casual interjection, “I think I’m having contractions.”

As much cool as I wanted with the new toy and bringing baby spazzyfry home in it, things started moving quick with no time to baby-up the LC. Long story short, I’m here in recovery with a healthy daughter and healthy momma. We got to pick up a heck of a ride and now have another full seat on our future excursions all in one sweep. Busy weekend!

Updates to come as we start to have some fun with the LC and make changes along the way. Gotta say, John left us with one hell of a base!

Tyler

No fancy updates, but spreadsheeted everything I could on the truck. I feel it’s as complete as I’m going to get it without some earlier documentation.

Cleaned interior, but I think I may try shampooing and running the ozone machine I’ve got for a bit. Nothing really wrong with the truck, in great shape, just would be good to get a good baseline and freshen up 23 year old smells.

Weathertech mats were curling, so spent some time with a heat gun and got them decently close. Spent most of my time on the driver’s mat as my foot would catch when working the throttle. Not so safe? :D

Rear driver side seat just would not latch to the floor. Spent probably 30 minutes tinkering with the latch and disassembled the seat making adjustments with no luck. I looked a little closer at the rod that raises and lowers the latch when folding the rear seats (a really cool and simple design that I got sucked into after seeing how it works) and found a small dent. It looks like when the seat was being slammed back down into place, the rod probably smacked a rock and bent the rod out of shape. This shortened the lever throw which wouldn’t let the latch extend fully for a functioning grab. Popped it out and straightened on my vise. Good as new!

684101CF-87C9-43EF-8493-448B2D1B2E35.jpeg

308ACA5A-7CC6-4341-A7A9-8858F4737EA7.jpeg

A1CE95C6-EDBA-4456-8D32-22EE8510AE3C.jpeg

Changed out low beams for LEDs today. While I certainly like the light output, I’m still undecided if I like the color temperature. Seems a bit too removed from OEM, but I feel they are pretty white and not blue at least.

Silverstars then both then LEDs

7B8362D7-BBC0-47B1-A115-52E718F6880F.jpeg

8DFC943D-F2F7-4D81-9F51-4D647A616102.jpeg

A067940B-0D9A-42F7-9594-F5A53DC1E7B3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom