SOLD 1990 BJ73 LHD for sale at Utah Dealer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Not mine - for sale at an Ogden, Utah dealer that likes to sell used Toyotas. It's been sitting on the classifieds here in Utah for at least 6 months. Has anyone gone to look at it yet? I'm guessing there's a little bit of rust judging by the engine bay photos. Looks clean otherwise, and LHD - any catch to this one?

Currently $15K on April 30. Was originally listed for $20K+ in 2019.

3122638-1580839937-193055.jpg

3122638-1580840012-642344.jpg

3122638-1580840047-182897.jpg

under carriage pics will tell the story. That’s cheap for a LHD BJ73 already in the states

I'll be in that area next week if anyone wants me to scope it out. Keep in mind, this is in the semi-ghetto area of Ogden. 😁
Hey what's up Tony! I figured if anyone up north knew about it, it would be you. Let me know if you stop by and check it out, though I'm not too concerned - might as well spend $5K more on a Land Cruisers Direct truck - though the LHD and manual would be cool.

Anyone seriously looking at this, its been for sale for a good few months, and the seller has dropped the ad into local Facebook groups recently stating "best offer over $11,000 takes it". Almost getting to the point that even if it sucks, its worth the price just in parts.

Screenshot_2020-05-06-09-09-27.png

Last edited:
Anyone seriously looking at this, its been for sale for a good few months, and the seller has dropped the ad into local Facebook groups recently stating "first offer of $11,000 takes it". Almost getting to the point that even if it sucks, its worth the price just in parts.

That's really interesting. I wonder why it's such a hard sell.

That's really interesting. I wonder why it's such a hard sell.

while its not huge miles for the motor...im betting the 5spd and case arent exactly in tits shape. case if it hasnt ever been serviced might be trashed. and 5 spd may be getting notchy and need rebuild right put of the gate for starters. too much smoke on startup would mean a pump rebuild. So anyone who has shown up and started and taken it for a spin who knows even the slightest bit about these 3 items would be looking at an easy additional good chunk of $$$$$ added onto that $11k........so is it $14-15-16k in reality??? Lots of unknowns.......and need some boots on the ground.

no underside pics but it looks better than many others at this price. someone go look and tell us.

while its not huge miles for the motor...im betting the 5spd and case arent exactly in tits shape. case if it hasnt ever been serviced might be trashed. and 5 spd may be getting notchy and need rebuild right put of the gate for starters. too much smoke on startup would mean a pump rebuild. So anyone who has shown up and started and taken it for a spin who knows even the slightest bit about these 3 items would be looking at an easy additional good chunk of $$$$$ added onto that $11k........so is it $14-15-16k in reality??? Lots of unknowns.......and need some boots on the ground.

As little power as these 3B's make the drive train will be probably ok , the interior looks a bit like a mix and match of parts which usually indicates that several people have owned this before and no one really invested any big bucks in it . At 11K in the US already it probably is a good buy if mechanically solid for someone that wants a 70 series to use , if you need one to go to cars and coffee or make online posts about how 'rare' your cruiser is spend a bit more on a pristine one.

Slap a turbo on the 3B , liftkit and some 33's under it and you have a heck of a cruiser to take you anywhere you want without breaking the bank or needing to be super careful not to damage anything.

Pandemic must be hitting hard, that’s LJ prices. Unless there’s something seriously wrong, this is the best deal I’ve seen in a while.

I've been meaning to check it out (just got back stateside the other day) but have been busy.
If I'm not too hungover tomorrow from UFC tonight, I'll scope it then.
Otherwise, Monday.
Hell, if they want to trade my Tundra plus a little cash, maybe I'll drive her home... :D probably not though.

OK I just stopped by this afternoon and looked it over, so here’s my 15 minute take. Note that I didn’t drive it, didn’t go over it with a magnet, and don’t know a whole lot about 70s:

Hardly any visible rust. Some surface stuff on the rockers but the frame looks really good. 24V from Europe, the guy thought Dutch or German based on stuff he found in it. No AC. Later 3B2 like has been mentioned; rotary pump and all that. Looks to have a rear main seal leak. Left front knuckle is wet. Split case is the vacuum type and will not engage 4x4 - he says it did when it came in but started acting up on a test drive. Gear box feels tight (not sure what a fresh one feels like :hillbilly:).

@joekatana is right, this is not a cars a coffee truck, but would be the perfect left hand driver you could take on trails and not have to baby. Driver seat is recovered or maybe not original, radio missing, slight cigarette odor, bad tint, bad rattle can job on the rims and bumpers, top has had a respray too maybe? Flares look like they’ve been siliconed on, etc etc. All things considered it checks a lot of the boxes and the bad stuff isn’t really *that* bad.

Sounds like he hasn’t had anybody really interested who knows what they’re looking at. Some folks who are lowballing because “that’s what we bought them for in Venezuela” and so on. Guy I talked to seems to know what he has even if he doesn’t know many tech specifics. He at least knows it has a decent parts value.

I got carried away and didn’t take many good photos, sorry.

CE8D2A88-5172-416C-995C-2B64BD148DF5.jpeg

B19FE749-368F-4CFF-B168-5950F80C6E5A.jpeg

5A07E397-6D41-4B0B-8844-9933853D2F7C.jpeg

0D186886-65C3-49E0-AD2E-B80BEB61F1CF.jpeg

EBE7886C-1079-45ED-BDEA-B8610CBABA9E.jpeg

Thanks for checking it out. You're right, it would be fun to lift it, throw some pizza cutters on there and take it on the trails while slowly fixing it up. I'm tempted.

Well since dude stopped by I guess I won't haha

Let me know if you want me tag along if you'll check it out. I know a little about 70s, I can give you some advice. Even a haggard FRP 70 for 11k is solid price. Hit me up. "Our area code" and 3176904.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom