Builds 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look into plastidip. It's a rubbery film you can spray on your good rims and just peel it off when you decide you don't want it anymore.
It's more durable than it sounds and super easy to touch up.
just put playing cards between the tire and rim and spray away.
Ya Iv thought about this. Ill just clean the wheels within an inch of their life and plastidip them. Great suggestion.

Two days!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414899196.716178.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414899235.931532.jpg

This baby is LOUD.
I fired it up and took it for a brief test drive (it has no gauges or alternator connections yet)
The exhaust is only about 8ft long in total and is straight piped in 2 3/4 inch.
It sounds like a hot rod! I love it but I'm afraid it might be a bit loud for around town driving. What should I do??

Just found your thread and read it all. Wow, very cool.

I put a non-baffled muffler on my HJ61. It has a healthy sound and some turbo whistle, but is fine for around town.

I agree with you about the look of a roof mounted LED light bar. You can see the one I built into the front bumper on a couple threads I have.

I am going to use your idea about slider air tanks. That will save me some room. For water I ordered an 11 gallon foot well tank. You can see it at frontrunneroutfitters.com. I use a small high pressure pump and weed sprayer wand for showering, which saves a lot of water when camping. No hot water yet. A step up from the weed sprayer I was using.

I have had to work through the nightmare of dual voltage systems on my truck. I thought everything would be fine when I installed a 3rd battery charged with the solar converter system. Then I learned it could not have a common ground with the 24v system when charging. I can use it for my fridge and a couple things, but not everything. I ended up adding a second 12v system that goes from switched accessory power box that is stock on my rig and under the hood, going to a 24v to 12v converter, then to a fuse block. That runs my cb, stereo, and cigarette lighter. I have a bigger pain with my 24v system because of electric locks and windows. I recommend to keep as much of your rig on 12v as possible.

Keep up the great work. You are off to a great start in cruiser ownership and skipping ahead to the 12ht right away, which I kick myself everyday for not having got into years ago.

I think im going to get a pretty straightforward 28 inch Glass Packed muffler. I dont want something big, and Id rather the truck be a tad loud that super quiet, and I dont want something really restrictive.
I found some online for 30$. Anyone got any recommendations exhaust wise?

Check out this sweet little shop build. The guys at the shop made up a couple of these Baoefeng mounts and I got one!!! Im pretty sure they water jetted them out then bent them to shape and welded the mounting nut on. Ill get more details.

I didn't like how my power steering return line was secured with zip ties (that won't last forever) and my throttle cable was hanging down onto the alternator belt. So I got all that stuff secured properly.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415465959.862290.jpg

Sorry for the terrible picture quality

I also painted these up. It's nearly impossible to do the toyota letters right, but it's a decent 10 foot paint job.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415465992.401401.jpg

I got another "Itll be done by ---" date today. Gary and Jeff were planning to finish it up LAST monday, but Mudrak was Mudrak and it didnt happen. No problem, they are planning to do it THIS Monday. My fingers are crossed. Not much else I can do at this point but hope they can pound out the last couple hours of work.

I just hope I can have it back by my birthday (November 13). I dont want anything for X-mas or my Birthday. Just my car back. It really sucks not driving your rig for over 6 months......

I got another "Itll be done by ---" date today. Gary and Jeff were planning to finish it up LAST monday, but Mudrak was Mudrak and it didnt happen. No problem, they are planning to do it THIS Monday. My fingers are crossed. Not much else I can do at this point but hope they can pound out the last couple hours of work.

I just hope I can have it back by my birthday (November 13). I dont want anything for X-mas or my Birthday. Just my car back. It really sucks not driving your rig for over 6 months......
I feel you, I went for about a year of not driving mine because I was either overseas or it was getting a conversion. It just means you'll appreciate it more.

Check out this sweet little shop build. The guys at the shop made up a couple of these Baoefeng mounts and I got one!!! Im pretty sure they water jetted them out then bent them to shape and welded the mounting nut on. Ill get more details.

Still waiting on details!! That is slick as s***.

Still waiting on details!! That is slick as ****.
Hey Sorry!!!

So heres the deal on the mounts. Gary found a guy on one of the forums who makes them, and he ordered up a bunch. Ill ask where exactly he got them if anyone is interested. We're working on some inside the cab mounting options right now for these things, and Ill let you know what happens.

Hey Sorry!!!

So heres the deal on the mounts. Gary found a guy on one of the forums who makes them, and he ordered up a bunch. Ill ask where exactly he got them if anyone is interested. We're working on some inside the cab mounting options right now for these things, and Ill let you know what happens.

I can figure out the mounting solution, I was hoping for more information on the mounts themselves. Please collect it and share :D

Aha! Got it!
I was really surprised by the amount of turbo whistle on the spool down. Now that the truck isnt parked next to the wall, I think the sound level is perfect. Its not deafening, but its also got some tone. Lovin it!

Only a couple things left to do: Wire the alternator, gauges, and connect high-pressure power steering line. (I had the line made, but Jeff our shop tech lost it somewhere in his unbelievably disorganized part of the shop..... But whatever, we'll make another)
I got another "we'll work on it day" and thats tomorrow, Monday November 17. Sooooo we're gonna see. Fingers crossed.

Since it was my Birthday last week, my parents got me a whole pile of awesome tools! (the only things I got were tools and chocolate :D) I got some anodized, color coded ratcheting wrenches (7mm-22mm), a self-priming jiggler syphon pump, magnetic bolt trays, allen wrench sets, and a really nice hammer! Hopefully Ill get a good socket set one of these days so I dont have to hunt through the shop box..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom