1985 fj60 engine hard knocking - help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Luck was on your side. Go buy a lotto ticket. A simple fix for the most part.

Tapped on the valves and depressed them about 1/4." Looks like they don't like moving too much so sprayed penetrating oil down and will tap and pry them to see if I can get them to loosen up. Letting them soak in the oil overnight. Still holding out hope that I won't have to pull the Head and take it to a machine shop.

The one intake valve freed right up after being soaked and tapped a couple times. The second intake valve is moving slow still, I have been soaking it (spraying carb cleaner) on it but it hasn't loosened up enough yet. Mush be some thick varnish build up. Read online that old farmers had the same problem with their tractors and used acetone. I am going to try this last thing and hope it works otherwise I pull the head, replace the push rods, and do all the valves.

Got off my duff and purchased some carb cleaner with acetone. Sprayed sticking valve, tapped, repeated. Went from being totally stuck to taking about 20 min to slowly coming back up. Kept spraying with cleaner and tapping down. Did this for about an hour and a half until it freed up. Freely moves now, think I will soak it well again with acetone then find some good oil, lube and see if I can get it to work.

Glad to hear...hope things continue to work out for you. My luck usually isn't that good - but those old farmers know some stuff!

Acetone might be pretty hard on the valve stem seals, but perhaps you're going to replace those anyway? Worn seals might be the cause of sludge on the stem anyway.

Gnarly pixs but cool to see what it is that makes that noise. I have always wondered. Now I have a visual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom