1985 FJ60 - Daily Driver Overheated for the first time, what am in for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry to leave details out, Ill check valves tonight and update the thread. If I may ask, a blown head gasket can for sure get in the way of the engine starting even with semi decent compression correct?

Eh, I think that's going to be a case-by-case answer. In this case I'd guess that's probably the issue simply because its the most recent problem. Regardless it sounds like it's time to dig in.

When my 60 overheated exactly as you described, I found out that the thermostat housing was all scaled up. Replaced the housing and thermostat and it was fine after that.

Maybe look at it another way:

The compression on #2, 3 and 5 are below the recommended limit anyway. The engine can run on that but it lacks umph. If all of the cylinders were at the same low level, the engine would be "balanced" and although it wouldn't be too torquey, it would run smooth.
Even if the engine didn't overheat and still ran now, those compression numbers call out for a valve job anyway.
So the head needed to come off anyway to get a little TLC. At your mileage, its way passed due (regardless of the overheating).

Sounds like a stuck thermostat to me also.

Any radiator that is up to temp will absolutely spew coolant EVERYWHERE if you pop the cap, that’s why there is a WARNING on the cap not to do that. The system is designed to run under pressure, it keeps the coolant from boiling under normal conditions.

If you don’t have milky oil or oily coolant, then you are probably looking at valve job and have the head checked for warping and cracks.

The 3-4 cylinders are common for blowing a gasket between the jugs and bleeding compression into each other. Speaking from experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom