For Sale 1985 FJ60 - 2nd Owner - 167k Miles - Central Oregon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

**SOLD**

The time has come to say goodbye to my beloved FJ60. I am the second owner and this has been our family camping/adventure vehicle and my light use daily driver for the past 16 years.

The history of this FJ60:

After a multi-month search to replace my previous ’85 FJ60 that was totaled in an accident, I purchased this Cruiser from the original owner in Arlington, Texas with 122,000 original miles. The original owner was a retired Aeronautical Engineer who babied the Cruiser and took great pride in maintaining it. I’ll never forget watching him tear up as I drove out of his driveway. He and I stayed in contact for over a year while I updated him on my families use of the Cruiser and the minor mods I started making, taking it from a bone stock FJ60, in to a slightly modified FJ60 based around a few mods I wanted to add for my intended use.

The Cruiser was immaculate and as mentioned bone stock, with the factory AM radio still installed. The original owner kept all original documents, including the window sticker, Toyota factory final QC checklist (in Japanese) original touch up paint (small tin can) and the DC work light that plugs in to the glove box. He used it lightly around the Dallas/Fort Worth area and also for family ski trips to Colorado.

The original owner had the top end rebuilt around 115,000 miles, however in the spring of 2004 at 139,000 miles the head cracked on me. I decided to go the route of a Man-A-Fre High Performance rebuild. Listed below is a time line of maintenance and modifications performed under my ownership.

Maintenance:

• 4/2002 @ 122,000 miles:
    • Old Man Emu light/medium 2’’ lift kit and Steering Stabilizer.

• 5/2004 @ 139,000 miles:
    • Man-A-Fre High Performance rebuilt 2F engine.
    • Man-A-Fre Ceramic Tuned Headers.
    • OEM Water Pump replaced.
    • Fluid Heat Riser installed.
    • Block Heater installed.
    • Asian Carburetor rebuilt.
    • Radiator replaced.
    • Partial De-smog.
    • New Clutch.

• 7/2011 @ 158,000 miles:
    • A/C Compressor replaced and system re-serviced.

• 12/2013 @ 161,000 miles:
    • New OEM Power Steering Pump installed.
    • Rebuilt Power Steering Box.
    • Knuckle Joints rebuilt.
    • Radiator replaced.
    • New OME Steering Stabilizer installed.

• 1/2014 @ 161,000 miles:
    • New Muffler/exhaust installed.

• 6/2017 @ 167,000 miles:
    • Valve clearance check performed - no adjust necessary.
    • Oil Change.

• 12/2017 @ 167,700 miles:
    • Complete DE-SMOG.
    • Trolhole Carburetor installed.
    • New Spark plugs and OEM ignition cables.
    • New OEM air filter, fuel filter and PCV valve.
    • Timing check.

• 1/2018 @ 167,700 miles:
    • New BFG K02 33’’ x 10.50 15” installed.
    • Front end alignment performed at local Toyota dealer.
    • Brake fluid flush performed at local Toyota dealer.
    • Clutch fluid flush performed at local Toyota dealer.
    • Rear brakes replaced, drums turned down, performed at local Toyota dealer.
    • Front and Rear Diff fluids replaced with Redline 75-90W.
    • Transfer Case fluids replaced with Redline 75-90W.
    • Transmission fluid replaced with Redline MT90.
    • Compression check:
      • #1 Cylinder @ 160 PSI.
      • #2 Cylinder @ 150 PSI.
      • #3 Cylinder @ 162 PSI.
      • #4 Cylinder @ 162 PSI.
      • #5 Cylinder @ 160 PSI.
      • #6 Cylinder @ 160 PSI.

Modifications:

• OEM Aussie mirrors.
  • OEM Aussie Inclinometer and clock.
  • OEM Passenger grab bar.
  • OEM FJ62 rear retractable 3-point seat belts.
  • OEM Aux light switch.
  • OEM FJ62 rear head rest. Only the frame and headrests from the FJ62 were used, the original foam and upholstery was swapped over to the FJ62 frame.
  • Spector Off-Road replacement foam in drivers side seat base - what a difference that made!
  • Man-A-Fre Heavy Duty rear sway bar.
  • Pfran LED overhead interior lights.
  • Pfran LED backup lights.
  • Tinted windows.
  • SpiderTrax 1.5” wheel spacers.
  • ARB Front Bumper with winch mount.
  • Hella Rallye 4000 Aux lights with PIAA lamps and OEM light switch.
  • Hella 7’’ round driving light with PIAA lamps.
  • White Knuckle Off-Road rock sliders. DOM tube version (heavy duty), powder coated with diamond tread plates. These were never intended to be rock sliders, nor were they used in that manner. Instead they were bought for ease of access for my two boys at the time. Hard to get in/out without steps for the little legs.
  • Stainless Steel Battery tray - exact as OEM, except stainless steel.
  • Carpet and rubber mats through out, including Aussie Sand Trap brand cargo mat for complete coverage.
  • 2’’ Rear tow receiver hitch with 7-pin connector and Haynes electric brake controller.

Spare parts included with Cruiser:

• Like new condition original OEM front chrome bumper.
  • Set of four OEM chrome wheels (excellent condition).
  • OEM factory AM Radio.
  • Partially rebuilt Warn 8274-50 Winch with new wire rope cable and fairlead. This was a project I took on and ran out of time to complete. Drum is rebuilt with new bearings, painted and assembled. Only needs motor and relays (or contactors) installed. My plan was to upgrade the motor and replace the relays with contactors and also add synthetic rope, hence why it is still in the semi-assembled condition.
  • New OEM slave cylinder.
  • OEM fuel filter, misc bearings, seals, gasket, belts, etc.
  • Post recall rear seat belts - both 2-point (retractable) and 3-point (fixed) versions.
  • 10+ FSM/Maintenance Manuals.
  • OEM A/C compressor core.
  • OEM Asian Carburetor.
  • OEM Power steering pump core.
  • Other misc OEM parts.
  • A fair portion of the original OEM smog equipment.
  • Receipts from myself and the previous owner.

Mechanically: The recent complete de-smog and Trolhole Carb has made a world of difference in the performance of the Cruiser. Its always ran strong (for a 2F), but this is by far the best its ran in the 16 years I’ve owned it. I would love to see how it would drive with a H55F in it - direct bolt us to Bell Housing/Transfer Case (Date of Manufacture 10/85). Everything else is in great shape with no maintenance needed.

The one disclosure is: The rear main seal leaks (surprise!). Between the two FJ60’s I’ve owned over a twenty year period, I have replaced the rear main seal five times, never to have it dry up. Even direct from Man-A-Fre it leaked. The leak is minimal, and oil consumption is not an issue, but I feel it is important to disclose.

Exterior: The paint is original, with an exception to the previous owner having two small incidents, one involving the front right fender, it was therefore repainted and another where he backed in to something and the right quarter panel was repainted. There are no signs of filler used and the paint matching is very good.

There are a few small dents and dings, mostly from “kid-rash” from being parked in the garage and having young children getting bikes, scooters and adjacent car doors opened. Most I have pointed them out in the photos.

The undercarriage has a some built-up oil leakage from through the years (rear main, oil pan, power steering box). Honestly, I have never put any effort in to deep cleaning it due to the inherent corrosion protection the oil provides. As seen in the photos, theres some light surface rust on the areas that received rock chips (tie rods, axels, etc), but nothing major and I wanted to leave it as is, so there is no signs of trying to conceal something to a potential buyer. There are two minor areas of rust behind the rear tailgate hinges. I have been watching them for years, and they haven’t grown. I was going to dab a little POR-15 on them (only seen from the interior when tailgate is opened), but again, I didn’t want to conceal anything.

Interior: Is immaculate with all original carpeting (no rot, tears or stains), headliner (no tears, sagging, etc), dash, (no cracking or wear), etc. Upholstery, as shown there is the normal wear on the side drivers seat (minimal considering the age) and two 1/4’’ diameter holes in the base of the drivers seat (from previous owner). Otherwise it is in amazing condition.

I am aircraft mechanic by trade and have always taken great pride in my Land Cruisers, especially this one. Every effort has been taken to use OEM parts or where improvements have been made, aftermarket parts were used. No expense has been spared through the years as my intent was to keep this rig and pass on to my sons. However, life changes and I fell upon an extremely low mileage 100 series to compliment my wife’s 100 series. Through past twenty years the only thing I have owned was Land Cruisers - FJ55, FJ60 (x2), FZJ80 and UZJ100 (x2). Yes, its fair to say the Land Cruiser is the preferred vehicle in our household. That said, It has been a true labor of love and I am in no hurry to sell the FJ60, it is in covered storage until the right buyer comes along. Where I will be “that guy” tearing up as the Cruisers pulls out of the driveway for the final time.

Date of manufacture: October 1985.

Unfortunately I am still considered a nube, so please follow the link below some photos and I'll edit my posting as soon as I am allowed to upload some decent files.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Located in Bend, Oregon

Asking Price: $25,000

Last edited:
I saw this ad posted in my state recently. The FJ60 looks outstanding, and is basically what I am looking for (lightly modified, but mostly original). I have been lurking around these forums for years, but have rarely posted. I would like to know from other more knowledgeable Mud members what they think of this rig. I am try to judge the range that this FJ60 could sell for, and I know it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks guys.

Have to say OP, very nice ad! Very well written up and the pictures are great except for the distortion in the lens, was kinda weird to look at some of the pictures (more specifically the undercarriage ones)

I saw this ad posted in my state recently. The FJ60 looks outstanding, and is basically what I am looking for (lightly modified, but mostly original). I have been lurking around these forums for years, but have rarely posted. I would like to know from other more knowledgeable Mud members what they think of this rig. I am try to judge the range that this FJ60 could sell for, and I know it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks guys.

As to FJ Dude's comment on price, I think $25k is a little bit too steep for this Cruiser. If it had some goodies like fuel injection, an H55 and lockers maybe it'd break $20k but I'm not even sure about that.

I'd say somewhere around $14-16k would be a reasonable price on a cruiser like this. If it was an FJ62 in this shape I could see it coming in at $18k, but the 60's just don't get there on price unless they're restored or really superb with really low mileage.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I was thinking along those lines that $25k was overpriced, but I haven't bought one in about 10 years and I know the market has changed since then. I plan on seeing it this weekend and going from there. Thanks again.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I was thinking along those lines that $25k was overpriced, but I haven't bought one in about 10 years and I know the market has changed since then. I plan on seeing it this weekend and going from there. Thanks again.

No problem FJ Dude, keep us posted if you buy it! It does look like a nice cruiser.

FJ60 is SOLD!

Thanks to all for their positive PM's and correspondences - yet another reason to love the Land Cruiser community.

And thanks again to you 'JoeMama' for keeping your FJ60 is such amazing condition all these years. Your upgrades and tasteful modifications are perfect for me. I am one happy Cruiser owner.

FJ60 is SOLD!

Thanks to all for their positive PM's and correspondences - yet another reason to love the Land Cruiser community.

Congratulations FJ Dude!! Do you mind if I ask what you ended up paying for it?

Glad you finally got your FJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom