1982 Pick up truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m a new Toyota owner. It is a 1982 Toyota Pick up. Its in rough shape but it runs me to work and around town everyday. It rides really rough though. Shakes pretty violently around 55 to 60 mph. And when i hit any bumps in the road it feels like im falling into a ditch. Im thinking i need to redo the shocks. But idk which ones I need. I think its been lifted aswell but idk how to check by how much. Any guidance would be appreciated. I can send any necessary photos.

Brandon.

Welcome to our slice of MUD :flipoff2: <-official MUD welcome. Post up of some pics of your truck, and tell us what you can about it. I used to own a 1982 SB, and really wish I had not sold it. "If I knew then what I know now."

As far as the ride, shocks are a great place to start. Consider OME. I'm willing to bet your spring bushings are shot. I would also look at the body mounts. Considering the age of the truck I bet they are due replacement too. For spring bushings I would consider Toyota rubber, not poly. The only issue with that recommendation is the frame eye bushing for the rear spring is stupid money. The rest of the bushings are competitive in price from one of the discount dealers. Maybe a compromise of Toyota rubber in the front, and poly in the rear.

108EA928-DE6F-4229-9B7D-95B5E97D274B.jpeg
BF11771F-33F2-4291-A345-157B61C47C5D.jpeg
36020644-8C6C-4BDA-9A59-3C2C0A1803B9.jpeg
BAD28ADC-74D5-4811-8E31-1CE91C333AF2.jpeg
1B106586-26E2-4DD4-B993-186DD8EA0462.jpeg

Welcome to our slice of MUD :flipoff2: <-official MUD welcome. Post up of some pics of your truck, and tell us what you can about it. I used to own a 1982 SB, and really wish I had not sold it. "If I knew then what I know now."

As far as the ride, shocks are a great place to start. Consider OME. I'm willing to bet your spring bushings are shot. I would also look at the body mounts. Considering the age of the truck I bet they are due replacement too. For spring bushings I would consider Toyota rubber, not poly. The only issue with that recommendation is the frame eye bushing for the rear spring is stupid money. The rest of the bushings are competitive in price from one of the discount dealers. Maybe a compromise of Toyota rubber in the front, and poly in the rear.
I posted some pics below let me know your thoughts. I also have this so hopefully i can most of any necessary work myself.
image.jpg

Well, that is a project. Good luck. Two observations. First, your sway bar bushing are toast. Add that to the list. Second, the front springs look inverted. No lift.

Well, that is a project. Good luck. Two observations. First, your sway bar bushing are toast. Add that to the list. Second, the front springs look inverted. No lift.
Yeah i dont intend to make it a full rebuild project, just want to get the main things replaced to make it more sound and reliable

That thing can't be from Michigan!? (I'm from MI and toyotas disintegrate there)

Easy fixes, thats a cool pickup! Best paint scheme ever on a Toyota and rare too!

Bushings and shocks are a good place to start. Its an old Toyota pickup, so its always going to have a rough ride. :)

I've owned an '82, an `80 and currently have a '91 with a 22re. I miss the `82 short bed the most.

I'm sorry but there's absolutely nothing you can do to fix your truck. PM me your address I'll come take it off your hands. Happy to help... 🤪

Cool truck! Definitely start with spring bushings, new shocks, and everything else rubber that affects the ride and steering.

Welcome to the sickness!

That thing can't be from Michigan!? (I'm from MI and toyotas disintegrate there)

Easy fixes, thats a cool pickup! Best paint scheme ever on a Toyota and rare too!

Bushings and shocks are a good place to start. Its an old Toyota pickup, so its always going to have a rough ride. :)

I've owned an '82, an `80 and currently have a '91 with a 22re. I miss the `82 short bed the most.
Lol yeah my grandfather bought it in Southern Cali

I'm sorry but there's absolutely nothing you can do to fix your truck. PM me your address I'll come take it off your hands. Happy to help... 🤪

Cool truck! Definitely start with spring bushings, new shocks, and everything else rubber that affects the ride and steering.

Welcome to the sickness!
Will do thanks

Before you starting doing anything I would get several cans of PB Blaster. Those nuts and bolts are not going to come off easy. Spraying a day ahead of time will make removing them easier.

A very cool paint scheme in mini truck history! Enjoy!

If you look at how close those bump stops are to the place they will come in contact. It is a very short distance so you will likely be using those a lot more than you should showing how the springs do look inverted like @pappy indicated. Have you considered getting the underside coated with fluid film or anything? Seems like you've lost a lot of paint under there and leaving it without any treatment might really make it's life with you very very short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom