1978 HJ45 2WD not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a restored 1978 HJ45 and the 2WD stopped working. All of the 4WD options work but when I shift the 4WD back to neutral then the gear won’t engage as shift through them. I can also shift to gear and take my foot off the clutch and the car won’t stall.

5EF4FDD1-54C5-408E-9B06-6D352362FDB9.jpeg

is the rear tail shaft turning when you engage a gear?

Aren't you supposed to put the case in 2 wd and not leave it in neutral? I mean neutral is just that, neutral. Gotta move the stick to 2wd for the car to move bud.

All of the 4WD options work but when I shift the 4WD back to neutral then the gear won’t engage as shift through them.

Im reading this and it sounds like the t/case is in neutral. If the transfer case is in neutral, none of the gears will work.
Do you have this shift pattern below? There were some variations over the years.
Sometimes the shift linkages can seize up through lack of use and you cant get them back to the original position.
You need to be in H2 to get the wheels turning in 2wd.
If you can get H4 , H2 should work.

if you drove on a hard surface in H4 or L4 , it will bind up the T/case. To fix this, leave in H4 and reverse back slowly while pushing the t/case lever to H2

1604528161806.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom