1978 FJ40 Restart After Gas Tank Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a poly gas tank in my '78 and can't get fuel to the carb. The glass window has no gas showing. The fuel pump is new. The fuel filter is fairly recent. When some gas is put into the carb it runs but just for a few seconds. There are about 2 gallons if fuel in the tank and the gauge shows the fuel level is adequate. I have tried with the choke out all the way. I have pumped the pedal and no fuel squirts into the carb body. Any suggestions are welcome. I need to get this fixed and get the FJ out of my garage.

If you have a hand operated vacuum pump i.e. for bleeding brakes) you can set it up to draw fuel to the pump. The weight of the gas from full tank makes it easier to move the gas through the lines because if you are stock, it is NOT a straight line.
I would suggest the "pressure the tank" method, but that can get a bit dicey if you're not careful.
Horrible Freight has cheap vacuum pumps that can do the job.

If you have an air compressor, take a spray nozzle and put in the bottom of the filler neck. Push a rag in to take up the rest of the room in the filler neck. Regulate your air pressure down to about 60 psi and pressurize the tank (you'll never get enough pressure to get to 60 psi or damage the tank) for a minute or 2. That should get the gas up to the carb and prime the lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom