1978 fj40 recommended springs and shocks? Ideas ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I Need new springs and shocks for a rebuild... OME kit is the plan but way too expensive

any ideas for a 2” lift and good for gravel forest roads?
Thanks

I've got Pro Comp Springs with Bilstien Shocks - Purchased from Justin at Redline - @RLMS -

Very satisfied with what he recommended.

Different shocks front and rear also depending on year. The shocks I send with the kit have .5" longer travel than the suspension at full droop and have .75" of shaft showing at full stuff. So I guess I have never looked at the shock part numbers via 0-2 -2-4" spec'd out from bilstein. I run 4 different shock part numbers depending on the year of the cruiser for both front and rear! I hope that helps.

Justin

My Hell Creek Suspensions kit is still great. Tom sells 2.5 & 4” kits.

Their website is dated but it works.

Thanks all for the replies !!

We would love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters should you decide to go with an OME kit. Full 40 Series kits start at $1485, that included springs, bushings, shocks, ubolts, greasable shackles and greasable spring pins, steering damper and hardware kit. If your stock shackles and pins are in decent shape and/or you don’t need a steering damper, the kit is event less. We stock some different stock options (Tokico and Bilstein) should your build be on the lighter end of the spectrum.

you guys in the shop tomorrow? Would like to give you call for some info.

We are in the shop, I will be out until 1pm MST. Give us a call

We would love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters should you decide to go with an OME kit. Full 40 Series kits start at $1485, that included springs, bushings, shocks, ubolts, greasable shackles and greasable spring pins, steering damper and hardware kit. If your stock shackles and pins are in decent shape and/or you don’t need a steering damper, the kit is event less. We stock some different stock options (Tokico and Bilstein) should your build be on the lighter end of the spectrum.
I’m a big fan of my OME 2.5 lift. I don’t have any experience with the others mentioned above, so I can’t compare. For reference though, I have a v8(lighter) and 8274 winch(heavier) in front and full cage, custom bumper w/35” spare and cooler in back. It sits level and rides nice.

We are in the shop, I will be out until 1pm MST. Give us a call

I have an 84’ with what I believe to be original springs and shocks. That said, I want to keep the look, in regards to height, the same. I have a new set of 31x10.5 BFG’s on it so I don’t want it raised so they look small. I want this to be a DD with some offroad capabilities. I want a smoother ride. That said, I have some ability to work on this but not much. I did change out my 69’s suspension to HFS but it was straight forward with no modifications. So I’m looking for as good a setup as I can find, with no modifications to drive shaft, etc..

69C7A384-0AB8-41D3-A0EF-E7F68B91637D.jpeg

I have an 84’ with what I believe to be original springs and shocks. That said, I want to keep the look, in regards to height, the same. I have a new set of 31x10.5 BFG’s on it so I don’t want it raised so they look small. I want this to be a DD with some offroad capabilities. I want a smoother ride. That said, I have some ability to work on this but not much. I did change out my 69’s suspension to HFS but it was straight forward with no modifications. So I’m looking for as good a setup as I can find, with no modifications to drive shaft, etc..

View attachment 2302179

Have you considered just going with a little longer rear shackle to fix the sag and maybe some Bilstein shocks? I think you’ll get the best ride staying with your stock springs. Just my two cents. That’s what I did and my ride is really nice… for a 40!

Have you considered just going with a little longer rear shackle to fix the sag and maybe some Bilstein shocks? I think you’ll get the best ride staying with your stock springs. Just my two cents. That’s what I did and my ride is really nice… for a 40!

actually thinking about doing just that! Which shackles did you get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom