1972 FJ40 Land Cruiser questions - newb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Considering buying a 1972 FJ40 - on Oahu. Asking price is $20+k ... it looks legit with extra original pieces / parts. Looks amazing as restorations go - Appears to be original engine- straight 6/ 3 speed. X-msn -Modification includes disk brakes up front, Webber carb. New distributor/wires/plugs. New gaskets - could not find any leaks!.. question is - is it worth the $20k asking price. And what should I be looking for to avoid getting duped?(screwed)... anyone got any insights? I’ve wanted one f these since I was a teenager.

9B43EEA5-198F-42AD-BCFB-9A254A5465E0.jpeg

Considering buying a 1972 FJ40 - on Oahu. Asking price is $20+k ... it looks legit with extra original pieces / parts. Looks amazing as restorations go - Appears to be original engine- straight 6/ 3 speed. X-msn -Modification includes disk brakes up front, Webber carb. New distributor/wires/plugs. New gaskets - could not find any leaks!.. question is - is it worth the $20k asking price. And what should I be looking for to avoid getting duped?(screwed)... anyone got any insights? I’ve wanted one f these since I was a teenager.

View attachment 2090317

With one pic, it’s hard to evaluate. Bring someone with you that is familiar with 40s or at the very least able to spot shoddy work and rust.

The run on the passenger fender screams run away from this one at 20k.

Added some more pics-rust is inevitable out here (you’re never more than 20 miles from salt water). I did notice the sloppy paint job and some of the chips/paint missing when I first saw it.

3D69839B-594A-4A8A-B7E9-05A18E79F709.jpeg

CE88255E-66EF-469B-8B7D-B113A966F587.jpeg

C2D43F5C-4EDC-44C8-A596-B55FA34ACFC8.jpeg

B3C90960-8CB8-47DA-8AEE-459476DD3640.jpeg

Also the stock seats come with, the installed ones are from a Tacoma. The amount of mods, concerns me— in that it’s not really worth the$20k due to all the modifications and potential issues

Also the stock seats come with, the installed ones are from a Tacoma. The amount of mods, concerns me— in that it’s not really worth the$20k due to all the modifications and potential issues
The rear wheel wells are funky. I can’t tell from my phone but looks like the seams under the rear door are full of bondo. Rust isn’t a killer , unless you can’t see it and pay for a clean truck.

The rear wheel wells are funky. I can’t tell from my phone but looks like the seams under the rear door are full of bondo. Rust isn’t a killer , unless you can’t see it and pay for a clean truck.

LED bumper lights tell ya there's been electrical work. "PO Gremlins" are lurking! Unless you plan on rewiring, which then readdresses the concerns about the price. Just my .04.

Agreed on the rust/bondo/cost/price conundrum-prices are all over the place when trying to find “comparable” pricing!

The LED lights at least work... as do the standard head lights. It runs well, all accessories work (including the winch)

This vehicle looks very similar to one I considered that was in Colorado two years ago. The front seats are identical. Check the floor in back, if it's flat it's the same vehicle and has a aftermarket tub in back. Ed

One problem is that I'm sure there are not dozens of FJ40s to choose from in Hawaii, but that one is clearly worked over. If you paid more like $14K for it, it'd leave some room for rework and repairs. I understand why the guy is asking 20, but I would want to pay considerably less.

Note: this truck has a later hood than a '72 should have - doesn't really matter in the big picture, unless he claims it's all original.

This makes “timeline” sense from what the seller is saying. He bought it a year ago ( here in Oahu) from an Army guy stationed in Colorado. (who probably brought it out here). There are nearly zero FJ40s out here-so I was cautiously optimistic.. and wanted to query the community. So all of your responses have been helpful. Gonna go climb under/around it today to check #s and for structural rust. He’s asking $24k but had had no offers. I’lI check the back floor- but I’m pretty sure it’s flat. What exactly, should an original floor look like if it’s not “flat” - curved/rounded edges wher it meets the sides?
I’m thinking closer to $15... seem fair or still too much?[/QUOTE]

Take a magnet to the body to find all the Bondo. Look under the dash at the wiring for spaghetti.

@SteveH is right, you're kind stuck unless you're willing to pay shipping for a vehicle in the states.

Probably the valve cover is also sprayed red

"Red Lipstick on a Pig" brought from the mainland

:cheers:

Understand I’ve got limited options out here.. honestly not looking for a “collectible” and don’t want to pay for a collectible... just looking for an FJ that isn’t a future “s*** show”
- going back to check vin/chassis/block #s/ bondo and wiring- all good advice there. Thx
This thing looks like a $10k Island Cruiser that I can turn into a project car if I want...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom