For Sale 1969 FJ40 almost no rust- all original! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser in great shape, barn for 40 years, only 73k miles... it needs an engine rebuild but perfect for the right buyer. More pics and info in the craigslist listing below. Asking $15,500 obo.

1969 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
IMG_2748.JPG

I think our poster will quicky learn the usual Craigslist b.s. won't fly very far here.

Ok... didn't realize this post would attract such criticism. I drove the cruiser almost every day for the last year until we came across the engine issue. Apparently the oil leak wasn't giving the pressure needed and burned up the bearings. Am I new to this? Yes. Have I learned a lot? Yes. Just curious... which part of the post is "craigslist bs"? I figured showing pics of the rust spots and letting folks know what our mechanic told us was the way to go. Full transparency. What should be changed on a post like this? Yes... the previous owner added the obnoxiously large standing platform on the back... I almost took it off, but then realized how much it helped my little kids in and out of the cruiser when on the beach. So I left it. As for "rusty"- it sure doesn't seem rusty compared to most of what I've seen..... so I'm not so sure what the big problem is with the listing. Is it the price? So far- my experience on this forum has been very helpful- lots of people sharing lots of helpful information. So... seriously... constructive feedback is helpful. Thanks~

Hello all! I am new to this forum and relatively new to being in the market for an FJ40. The pricing generally seems to be all over the place. I am not looking for something all original and wouldn't mind a V8 swap already done. Essentially looking for something to toss the dogs in the back and drive on a regular basis. You all seem to think the price on this one is too high, what would you consider a fair price?

The biggest obstacle here to selling this one is the engine rebuild. Most buyers don't want to mess with that unless it's really cheap. Just my 2 cents worth.
From what pics are there it looks pretty good. How's the frame and underside?

The criticism arises from how many CL ads we've all seen touting what is generally called a 'Rattle-can Resto', meaning slap on a new top coat and spray the undercarriage with Rustoleum and ask $30K for an 'All-original' garaged truck... Usually masking something nasty underneath like a bad engine, trans, other mechanical issues. But a pretty face sells everything!

If you need a new engine, it's expensive for a rebuild, and difficult these days to find a good used motor. Add $2-5k to purchase price to get it running unless access to cheap engine replacement.

The truck generally looks clean except that rust in the cargo could mean trouble underneath, plus I see vents for an A/C but no compressor. Fuel pressure regulator so electric pump, Possible Chinese replacement carb ...

I suppose I would start asking your price then let the market find what it's worth to someone... But I wouldn't pay anywhere near your asking. :meh:

GLWS.

"Cruiser in great shape, barn for 40 years, only 73k miles..." If you want credibility start by being honest. This FJ is far from "great shape" and it hasn't been sitting in a barn for 40 years, there is way more then very little rust, the underbody has rust, it did not start rusting from the inside out, and it most likely has a 173,000 miles not 73,000. You didn't want to clutter up under the hood with AC components but it was a good idea to clutter the cab with a useless AC unit that is not working, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the ac doesn't work even with your box of ac parts installed. I'm only leaning that way because your description is completely misleading. "this thing is a beauty." wrong its more of a turd that has a blown engine and $150 of cheap paint over rust. Unless your OBO price is less then half of $15,500.00 you won't have to worry about having regrets 10 years form now because you are still going to own it in 10 years at the price. I have a 1971 FJ40 in way better shape then yours that runs great and I wouldn't think of asking $15,500.00 for it.

Sow in a silk purse

Ok... didn't realize this post would attract such criticism. ... Just curious... which part of the post is "craigslist bs"?

I had basically the same reaction as the other guys. I think we're all tired of reading ads that (to us) go beyond mere sales "puffery" to outright ... barnyard. But I hear ya, so I intend this to be constructive:

Beauty may be in the eyes of the beholder but the contrast between the bed and the respray makes it a stretch, I think. There is rust hiding in the rear sill, bed, and in the wheelwells ... honest. BT, DT, and the guys on this forum have too ... I like ratty rigs, to me it gives them character, but probably best to be more modest. Pics showing the frame, particularly around the rear spring hangers and rear bumper (shot from behind the rear axle looking toward the back of the frame, including each angled side support) will call off the dogs a bit. Show the underside of the rockers and the floorboards on both passenger's and driver's sides. As for the engine, sigh, if you know how to do a leak-down test, or pay someone to do it, the results are facts. No interpretation necessary. Or at least a compression test. And if you suspect the bearings are toasted, toss a cheapo mechanical gauge in and give oil pressure cold and after warmup. Again, facts is facts (stubborn things). Chances are, the venerable F motor needs more than a bottom end, it needs a complete rebuild. Or find a rusted out FJ60 and swap in the whole engine/trans/TC (you'll have to swap the top cover on the trans and some other odd/ends, but it's "affordable"). Shoot a video of the motor running and post here and to YT. It might be just a bottom end if the compression is OK and the rods aren't trying to make a break for it out the side of the block, but give us something to go on. 73K original miles and its toast? Not a 1F motor, not unless its been severely neglected, abused. I had one that sat for goodness knows how long, had unknown mileage, and it still ran pretty good on 4.5 cylinders and occasionally 6 when the ignition wires warmed up enough to connect. Yeah, had to clean the plugs a lot cuz the oil rings were on vacation most of the time, but the blue smoke kept the skeeters at bay.

Last, it really is very far from "all original." Drives me nuts when folks say that. Wheels, both bumpers, paint (bad), winch, floor mats, headliner, wiring under the dash has been monkeyed, A/C incomplete, fuel pressure regulator, brake master cylinder, there's more ... not even close to original. Yeah, I know the prices on feeBay and elsewhere are sky high, but if the body was solid and the motor was sound, it still wouldn't be a $15.5K rig. It's just my opinion (and yeah, we all have one and they all stink) but that rig won't command half of what you're asking, even on feeBay. I'm sorry man, I'm not being a tool. I think it is big of you to ask for feedback cuz this is a tough crowd when it comes to FJ40s. I wanted to give you what I hope is honest, but still helpful, feedback. There may be a Mudder down your way who might give a little guidance too. Can't hurt to ask around. Good luck man!

Oh, and check out your competition. Look at this rig. It's truly droolworthy, IMO. Your rig has potential, but it cannot compete with the '68 in this thread.

For Sale - 1968 FJ40 for sale, Portland, OR near stock

Last edited:
Another thing I don't understand is why the person that posts a craigslist or other ad doesn't state it is THEIR vehicle in the initial post. It's almost like "I'll put it out there and see what they have to say about it".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom