craigslist 1969 Capri Blue FJ40 with PTO- Minneapolis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Not mine - $15,500
Pretty original with some rust issues

-----------------------------
1969 Toyota landcruiser, all original condition, original paint. Newer tires, 8000 pound factory power take off winch. Original 6 cylinder motor with 3 speed on tree. Runs and drives good. This truck spent its first 30 years in Colorado, I have owned it for the last 20 years. Please call 507-316-2326

00K0K_7uNKSPdhL6Dz_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

00L0L_aVTvWhazp0Az_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

00N0N_8uvpKYoCu03z_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

00N0N_AvYf03U0nsz_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

00u0u_1hN3eOgW5AUz_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

They all leak - the’re 50 years old. Maybe if you just changed out every seal on the truck, you MAY not have a leak for a year or less, otherwise if it’s not leaking, it’s run out of oil.

Last edited:
Believe 72-76 the actual bracket the spare mounted to was pewter. Before and after were body color.

As for the holes drilled in the back of the hard top sides just just another PO mod that makes you scratch your head. Not sure how well it would work as a vent. Thought it was interesting that Canada was the only market that had a vent in the back. Even the FJ45LP had them in Canada starting in the late seventies. With my HVAC background understand how important ventilation to getting to flow thru and out the back but also removing humid air that condenses on cold windows in winter time.

I just looked at old pics of the 69 survivor I recently sold and the bracket was pewter

interesting, the blue one listed sure does look like original paint

I have a 10/69 model in another location I could verify if it was here. Bought it about ten years ago from the original owner. Still has the original paint. Obviously the one on the left.
IMG_0368.jpg

Bought my 68 back in 74. Original owner ride it hard and put it up wet but really didn't change any original parts. The spare tire bracket was Capri Blue. Had a broken lug and bought a spare tire carrier off a white 69 and was white as I remember. Only used the bracket off of it. Cruiser has been repainted but wasn't painted in pieces so could verify the color if it was here. Interesting thing on the original 68 bracket it had two screws and nuts filling two holes in the center. Production date is 9/67. Also thought it was for a reflector if no hub cap was installed. 9/67 was the start of the 68 which had reflectors between the bumperettes and tail lights. Could have been a 67 carry over. I do remember when I bought it four wheels were grey and one was black. The change from black to grey was the 68 model. Spare was have been towards the end of the production line while start would have been a rolling chassis.

Did anyone mention it's a Ramsey PTO winch? Does appear to have the factory PTO. Also how the thumb breaker on the steering wheel. If you have driven a stock FJ40 from this era you knows what mean. Off road hit a rock with a front wheel and the wheel will spin out of control. When ever I wheel one of my old ones it like riding a bike. My thumbs stay on the outer ring and not wrapped around the wheel. Few hits on the thumb by the spokes is something you never forget.

That’s interesting.
Here’s the best pic I can find where you can see the bracket if you zoom in.

View attachment 2559499

I can tell you that the rear step was never silver and always black.

As for the spare bracket could have been a mid 69 model year change. Very minor change and doesn't even show with a hub cap. Toyota decided just paint then all pewter.

In my collection of parts I have the new take off rear steps from two 63 FJ40 hard tops and the bumperettes from the same cruisers. Those are painted beige. These from the original owner of my 70 FJ40. Were off his and his father's first FJ40s.

IMG_20190822_190910023.jpg

Looks like a nice original Cruiser for someone. For being in Colorado and Minnesota most of the time the rust looks minimal to me. I’ve seen much worse from MN. Must not have been driven in winter. Looks like this one has plenty of good years left ahead. Hope it goes to a mud member.

It’s parked over some tarps so I’m guessing it leaks

While I dont doubt it leaks some, that looks like pieces of vapor barrier to me. May be just as much about protecting it from moisture from the concrete below. Just good practice.

This one is pretty close to me. I called but haven't heard back. Hope its still available, I've been hunting for another 40 ever since I sold my last one in '14. Wish me luck, they don't appear around here often.

I talked with him last night.
The car is actually 4 hours away at a cabin up north.
When I mentioned I wanted to see it in person, that’s when he said it was far away.
He did say that someone was going to call back later last night to arrange.
He had no problem meeting to help with a trailer pickup

I could have bought the car last night but it’s just too much for me to buy a car unseen from Craigslist, especially my first. I’m sure I will regret it.

I could have bought the car last night but it’s just too much for me to buy a car unseen from Craigslist, especially my first. I’m sure I will regret it.
It will be always a risk for good deal truck.
Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Maybe you just not ready yet :)

Thanks, it ended up being a bit of an adventure. Tony owned it for 27 years and it lived up at his cabin in Northern Minnesota. Took me about 6 hours to drive up there and it was below zero, single digits most of the day. Just as I arrived my trailer blew a wheel bearing (glad it didn't happen loaded or on the highway!) We pulled the 40 out and went over it, it has its warts and needs to be baselined, doesn't run well, but has potential and its all there. Tony is a good guy and helped me procure trailer bearings and we got it buttoned up in the cold, loaded my new 40 and I trekked back home. 18 hour day with 14 hours of driving. I`m pretty excited to have a 40 again and Tony was happy it was going to an enthusiast. I'll start a build thread at some point in the near future.

Bluemud, don't sweat it. This 40 is a project. Wouldn't have made for a very good first car or daily driver. ;)

Last edited:
I can tell you that the rear step was never silver and always black.

As for the spare bracket could have been a mid 69 model year change. Very minor change and doesn't even show with a hub cap. Toyota decided just paint then all pewter.

In my collection of parts I have the new take off rear steps from two 63 FJ40 hard tops and the bumperettes from the same cruisers. Those are painted beige. These from the original owner of my 70 FJ40. Were off his and his father's first FJ40s.

View attachment 2559502
I need a mop to clean up the drool from looking at your garage of toys.

Thanks for the update!
Glad you got it. Sounds like it was quite a day.
I’m sure he told you he talked to me and wasn’t very confident I would be the best next owner. 😂

I’m just happy I got close to a purchase.
I realized this was gonna be a much bigger project than I was willing to take on.

Can’t wait to see the build.

Thanks, it ended up being a bit of an adventure. Tony owned it for 27 years and it lived up at his cabin in Northern Minnesota. Took me about 6 hours to drive up there and it was below zero, single digits most of the day. Just as I arrived my trailer blew a wheel bearing (glad it didn't happen loaded or on the highway!) We pulled the 40 out and went over it, it has its warts and needs to be baselined, doesn't run well, but has potential and its all there. Tony is a good guy and helped me procure trailer bearings and we got it buttoned up in the cold, loaded my new 40 and I trekked back home. 18 hour day with 14 hours of driving. I`m pretty excited to have a 40 again and Tony was happy it was going to an enthusiast. I'll start a build thread at some point in the near future.

Bluemud, don't sweat it. This 40 is a project. Wouldn't have made for a very good first car or daily driver. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom