1968 FJ40 turn signal switch removal and install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am stumped. I need to replace the turn signal on my 68 FJ40 and bought the switch assembly. I have pulled the steering wheel but I can't figure out how to get the top turn signal switch collar off of the steering column. My FJ is a three speed column shift and the shift rod is threaded into the back of the top turn signal switch collar. How do I disconnect the shift rod from the top turn signal collar so I can remove? The new turn signal switch collar is not threaded for the shift rod like the original collar. Can someone give me directions to remove the old switch and install the new one? Do I need to thread the new top signal switch collar?Thanks!

Just use the old one and replace the switch assembly under the dash.

Remove the switch like Poser said. Loosen and remove the screw on the clamp the holds the switch on the column and slide it down and out of the way. With steering wheel remove it's just a matter of removing the C clip on the back side of the turn signal handle and slide it out.

I know this is an old post, but I’m having the same problem as RichieFJ40. I’ve got the steering wheel and the signal rod off my ‘70 FJ40, but I can’t remove the old signal collar due to the shift rod.

87C1FF86-82DB-495A-A4EA-A7FAF207A306.jpeg

You have to remove the shift lever/rod to get that collar off. There is a spring loaded couple of pins at the base of the lever, push them in as best your coordination will allow and then the lever pulls out. But caution, with the spring loading you’ll shoot a pin or both into oblivion as the lever comes out, and they’re a major PITA to find for replacement. So wrap your hand around the lever‘s base before it exits the hole to keep the pins “in hand.”

Then the collar will slide off the shaft - make sure retaining bolt is well loose, and you may have to coax the collar along with a rubber mallet.

You have to remove the shift lever/rod to get that collar off. There is a spring loaded couple of pins at the base of the lever, push them in as best your coordination will allow and then the lever pulls out. But caution, with the spring loading you’ll shoot a pin or both into oblivion as the lever comes out, and they’re a major PITA to find for replacement. So wrap your hand around the lever‘s base before it exits the hole to keep the pins “in hand.”

Then the collar will slide off the shaft - make sure retaining bolt is well loose, and you may have to coax the collar along with a rubber mallet.
i was able to get everything removed, thanks middlecalf for the advice on the spring loaded pins. But, the shifter rod pin is threaded and my new signal switch collar isn’t. Do I need to get a new shifter rod pin (maybe called the mast jacket from the above post) that isn’t threaded or take my signal switch collar to a machine shop to get it threaded? I have no experience with that.

I only have experience with threaded pins. Seems like it needs to be fixed (threaded) so the shaft can move up and down over it. Where did the collar come from, and is it the same year?

I ordered it from Coolcruizers.com and it’s the right part and year and all the #s match. I’m going to try a machine shop to add threads. Thanks for your help!

Hi All- I've read through the current thread, and have a very similar issue, however mine is not turn signal related. I was driving today and all of the sudden the shift lever popped out. Similar to the above and issues related to the collar, but I can't seem to thread the shift rod/lever back into the collar. I've removed the steering wheel and no issues removing the collar, but my struggle is threading the collar back onto the rod/lever. Do I need to remove the entire rod/lever, if so, what is easiest way to do so.

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 3.58.54 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi All- I've read through the current thread, and have a very similar issue, however mine is not turn signal related. I was driving today and all of the sudden the shift lever popped out. Similar to the above and issues related to the collar, but I can't seem to thread the shift rod/lever back into the collar. I've removed the steering wheel and no issues removing the collar, but my struggle is threading the collar back onto the rod/lever. Do I need to remove the entire rod/lever, if so, what is easiest way to do so.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 2591443
If I remember correctly, you have to remove the shift handle- rides in a ball/socket joint holding the threaded part in place. There is an indent pin that needs to be pushed in on top and bottom where the shift handle pivots then it should pull out. (watch out as there is a little spring that will jettison the indent pins. Once that is removed the you can re-thread the short rod into the signal collar. I think I remember the outside shaft of the shift rod slides on the thread inner rod (that was unthreaded) then you can re-thread it into the turn signal collar. Don't forget to put a little grease in there.

Last edited:
I believe Your shift rod is holding the threaded piece in. Remove it and the threaded piece may slide back into the column enough to thread in

Fireman and I must have been posting at same time. He explained it better

If I remember correctly, you have to remove the shift handle- rides in a ball/socket joint holding the threaded part in place. There is an indent pin that needs to be pushed in on top and bottom where the shift handle pivots then it should pull out. (watch out as there is a little spring that will jettison the indent pins. Once that is removed the you can re-thread the short rod into the signal collar. I think I remember the outside shaft of the shift rod slides on the thread inner rod (that was unthreaded) then you can re-thread it into the turn signal collar. Don't forget to put a little grease in there.
Great, thank you! I will give that a go @firemanj92!

Anyone know how far you need to push those pins in? I think mine are rusted because they don't want to move.

Maybe 1/8" or enough for the shift lever to slide out.
Should they move freely? I tapped on the top one and it sunk down, but didn't come back up. The bottom one is worse....won't move. I don't want to break the thing trying to remove it.

Yes they should move easily. I would put a few drops of penetrating fluid in the top one and let it soak a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom