1967 FJ45 LPB - Back from the dead! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks, I thought it was time to present this great FJ45 now that it's back on the road! Yes, I rolled by Mark's Offroad when out for my first extended test drive on Tuesday 😎, but @65swb45 phone was busy so I just continued home. :cool:

I'll be replacing the rear axle seals and bearings this week. @whitey45 I know it's bittersweet, but you've got to be happy to see it on the road!

-Seth

IMG_5273.JPG

Last edited:
It is bittersweet, but super happy it went to a good home, and you did exactly what I would have done! I feel bad for Jun who sold it to a family friend only to flip it for double the amount he paid for it! Pic is circa 1998 when I first laid eyes on it!( I did buy the red one! )
C3210A6D-D9CA-4BFA-BDAE-7A6C223CE298.jpeg

Hello folks, I thought it was time to present this great FJ45 now that it's back on the road! Yes, I rolled by Mark's Offroad when out for my first extended test drive on Friday, but @65swb45 phone was busy so I just continued home. :cool:

I'll be replacing the rear axle seals and bearings this week. @whitey45 I know it's bittersweet, but you've got to be happy to see it on the road!

-Seth

View attachment 1946461

That pic was taken on Tuesday. The phone was off the hook because I was taking a much-needed nap. Sorry I missed the visit, but not sorry I slept! I posted on Monday that I closed the shop for the month in order to get caught up with existing obligations.

Hopefully if you need some more parts it can wait until May.

That pic was taken on Tuesday. The phone was off the hook because I was taking a much-needed nap. Sorry I missed the visit, but not sorry I slept! I posted on Monday that I closed the shop for the month in order to get caught up with existing obligations.

Hopefully if you need some more parts it can wait until May.
Not to worry, Mark. I was taking surface streets home and was just saying hello. Hope you get caught up this month!

tl;dr
It took a heck of a lot of (fun, hard) work to bring this amazing very original 1967 FJ45 LPB truck back to life. As far as I've been told, it sat for almost 30 years in an area called Scott's Valley near Santa Cruz, CA. Brought it home to LA. Started working on it in January 2019, and got it legally back on the road in California on April 5th.

The Long Version - Part 1: PARTS
Or, all-the-things-you-buy-when-you-just-want-to-do-everything-but-don't-want-to-break-the-bank-and-are-still-kind-of-continuing-to-spot-things-you-could-spend-more-money-or-time-on.
  • Tailgate Bumpers
  • Specter Upholstery Set
  • Spark Plugs & Wires
  • Wheel Cylinders (front 4)
  • Brake Shoes x4
  • Rear Wheel Cylinder Rebuild Kits x4
  • Headliner
  • Tires x4
  • Factory Rims x4
  • Old style hub caps
  • Toyota Bumper and hardware
  • brake master cylinder
  • clutch master and slave kit
  • various hard brake lines to replace some old ones
  • fuel filter
  • oil filter
  • rear bump stops
  • tail light bulbs
  • parking brake kit and speedi sleeve
  • OEM muffler
  • thermostat
  • replacement upper and lower thermostat housing (the tall one),
  • window gaskets for rear x3
  • hood bumpers
  • valve cover gasket and seals
  • front bumper license plate holder
  • horn button
  • rear axle seals and bearings

Here's how the truck looked the day I got it to my garage. A little bit dirty...

1967-fj45-lpb.jpg

You can see that it's just a layer of fine dirt over most of the body.

1967-fj45-lpb-badge.jpg

This is what friends are for, right?

I’m glad you got this truck and it didn’t go to restoration shop to get restored.

Hello ladies and gentlemen! It's been a while – where did the Covid years go, anyway? o_O

I've been busy at work in the shop with a lot of great little repairs and OEM fixes to the FJ45 I call "Lily". Here's a few glamour shots from a month or so ago. Want more?

I chose to retain the original patina and undergo any necessary mechanical repairs only. If anyone is interested, I may be selling Lily in the next few months in advance of my fiancé getting ready to start her Physician's Assistant program. (Don't worry, I still have my 1965 FJ40 FST to enjoy forever) ;)

-Seth

IMG_8045.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

Here's a shortlist of the repairs and replacements I've done since I first started this thread. I'll come back and perhaps add some photos and descriptions later:
  • Remove and replaced front bumper with new OEM plus hardware kit from Specter
  • Removed non-factory rear bumper and replaced tailgate rubber stops
  • Reupholstered front seats with Specter kit
  • New Spark Plugs & Wires, Wheel Cylinders x4, and Brake Shoes x4
  • General engine servicing, carb clean-out plus replaced seals and diaphragms
  • New Tires and OEM black steel rims x4 (Super Traxion, vintage style)
  • Early style repro acorn hub caps
  • New brake master, clutch master and slave
  • Replaced Brake line (from master), fuel filter, oil filter
  • Replaced Rear axle bump stops, 2 rear brake lines
  • New Tail light bulbs, brake light switch, rear output shaft speedi sleeve, used OEM flasher module, Toyota muffler
  • New thermostat, thermostat gasket
  • Replaced upper and lower thermostat housing with (used) OEM from Mark Algazy
  • Muffler installation, new tailpipe bending/welding
  • Registered and Titled in California
  • Repaired rust holes in roof cap (welded) – re-made metal to windshield edge, replaced headliner with Specter replacement
  • Replaced rear cab glass gaskets (quarter windows and rear center), hood bumpers, valve cover gaskets and steam seals, distributor cap, top windshield gasket
  • Parts: rear axle seal & bearing kit, tie rod end kit, wiper blades, brake shoes
  • Turned OEM brake drums x4
  • New parking brake cable, Front passenger bump stop
  • New soft brake lines (x3)
  • New (used) Water Pump, courtesy light
  • Aftermarket Steering Damper (OME), OEM Roof Cap Weatherstrip, OEM Roof lower Weatherstrip

Last edited:
Hello ladies and gentlemen! It's been a while – where did the Covid years go, anyway? o_O

I've been busy at work in the shop with a lot of great little repairs and OEM fixes to the FJ45 I call "Lily". Here's a few glamour shots from a month or so ago. Want more?

I chose to retain the original patina and undergo any necessary mechanical repairs only. If anyone is interested, I may be selling Lily in the next few months in advance of my fiancé getting ready to start her Physician's Assistant program. (Don't worry, I still have my 1965 FJ40 FST to enjoy forever) ;)

-Seth

View attachment 3260719

View attachment 3260720

Nice job seth

-Seth

View attachment 3260719

View attachment 3260720
Sell the 40, keep Lilly!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom