1966 FJ40 preservation/build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You‘ve done a lot of great stuff to this rig. More and willing to help a fellow ‘65 owner. Here’s the ‘65 parts book listing for your heater, et al (note: it was an optional accessory). The rubber piece I mentioned is part AT.
9D61E6BC-0721-41F4-A13E-D96572CDE06F.png
B1873207-693E-4EBE-B070-9C15495E2AA4.png
3F975F5C-23DC-4E81-B37C-D7BC2D8A3532.png
8CE0E84D-5206-4EEF-9DB6-B58942B41BB1.png

Finally have a little free time to dive into the top. Looks like I will need to combine the best parts of the two tops I have. In a few weeks I will have an extra corrugated top that I will be looking to pass on to a fellow early cruiser person. It is a little rough and will never be Barret Jackson quality, but they are getting hard to find in any condition and the price is right-free!

686D3B9A-A3E6-4872-995F-B7F5AD26B6F7.jpeg

Well, I didn’t end up having time to restore the top, and winter is here, so instead of leaving the Land Cruiser outside during the winter without protection, I put her in storage until spring.

A03CDBE0-CE12-4B2F-AFB1-73C216024743.jpeg

Well, I didn’t end up having time to restore the top, and winter is here, so instead of leaving the Land Cruiser outside during the winter without protection, I put her in storage until spring.

View attachment 3194221
surprised they let you store a vehicle. a lot of units don't unless it's in a separate container for insurance reasons, which always bugged me, because a lot of the other crap i stored in my unit was a lot worse than what little flammable fluids were in a vehicle ;)

surprised they let you store a vehicle. a lot of units don't unless it's in a separate container for insurance reasons, which always bugged me, because a lot of the other crap i stored in my unit was a lot worse than what little flammable fluids were in a vehicle ;)
I was a little surprised myself.

Happy Valentines day-don’t forget! I have nothing new to report on the Land Cruiser. Other than the exhaust fell off and it sounds horrible. Just thought I’d share a couple of pics of the last trip since my wife does not think much of them…maybe there is some inspiration for others to post their early 40 and 25 projects.
6AB3CCDE-A899-48BA-974B-7FA750AA3F90.jpeg
DD87AD1D-3B41-431E-9E30-D4F1492A10E2.jpeg
D3F246ED-C7EF-47F1-8EA1-A3A973881140.jpeg

Bummed. A few months ago I planned a two week vacation to Southern Arizona in the FJ40. was visualizing backroads, ghost towns, old mines, sunshine and 80 degree days…right now weather does not look good, at least in the 14 day forecast. Need to make a decision by this weekend.

As it turns out, not taking the FJ40 to Az was a good call. I instead took my Tacoma, and that was fortunate as the weather was not nice, and three of the dirt backroads I planned to take were closed or gated. At one point I would have had to backtrack and take 150 miles of interstate in California. Evidently most folks in Ca drive like rude idiots to the point that driving only 60 mph on the interstate would be downright dangerous.
Back home I dragged the Land Cruiser out of the garage and tinkered with the turn signals. After an hour of cleaning the contacts and running new wires to the rear turn signals, I finally have reliable, fully functioning turn signals (with indicator lights) which, evidence would suggest, most folks in Ca don’t know how to use.

4D103E68-C592-4AD9-873D-65D119585835.jpeg

You pretty much nailed Ca. My 65 isn't on the road right now but when it was I would find a couple of Semi's who were only going 62 or 63 and snuggle with them. Turn signals say you better speed up and cut me off or you will be stuck behind for a few minutes. I hate Ca. traffic.

It doesn't have to be CA. Returning from camping in the Wa. Cascades in my '65, at a pulp mill town on-ramp to Highway 14, a jackass got bent he couldn't cut me off. Flipped him off like I had a full auto under the seat. That felt good, and he didn't call my bluff.
The power of a Land Cruiser isn't under the hood, it is in your mind.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be CA. Returning from camping in the Wa. Cascades in my '65, at a pulp mill town on-ramp to Highway 14 a jackass got bent he couldn't cut me off. Flipped him off like I had a full auto under the seat. That felt good, and he didn't call my bluff.
The power of a Land Cruiser isn't under the hood, it is in your mind.
You’re absolutely correct, it isn’t just California but pretty much everywhere there are big cities. I’m about 5-10 years from retiring and have been looking for the right place to retire. #1 thing on the list is access to uncrowded backroads, fishing and hiking trails without navigating rude idiots in traffic. My wife thinks I’m petty for prioritizing this, but the older I get the less patient I am with rude or unsafe people.

Minor update-After replacing the seat covers for the 3rd or 4th time, I found these Carhardt seat covers that aren’t too far off the early factory color. The seats are out of a 92 Land Cruiser and are comfy without being obnoxiously large. I do wish I could go with the factory 60/40 and keep it more original in appearance, but with the 5 speed it would need fairly destructive modifications.
8722EF1E-F5C0-46F2-8409-7F4EA5D4C4A4.jpeg

I think the next thing I may upgrade is a decent stereo. I haven’t bought a stereo in 30years and don’t know anything about them, but both the speakers and stereo will need to be marine/waterproof. And, I want it to be completely hidden and no holes drilled. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it possible?

Thanks! Duane

Minor update-After replacing the seat covers for the 3rd or 4th time, I found these Carhardt seat covers that aren’t too far off the early factory color. The seats are out of a 92 Land Cruiser and are comfy without being obnoxiously large. I do wish I could go with the factory 60/40 and keep it more original in appearance, but with the 5 speed it would need fairly destructive modifications.
View attachment 3304632

I think the next thing I may upgrade is a decent stereo. I haven’t bought a stereo in 30years and don’t know anything about them, but both the speakers and stereo will need to be marine/waterproof. And, I want it to be completely hidden and no holes drilled. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it possible?

Thanks! Duane
The easy button would be a Bluetooth setup.

They come with magnetized bases so you don't even need to drill a hole or even scratch the paint.

I figured there would be a Bluetooth setup by now, will start researching, thx

Not really hidden, but I have had these Bose speakers in the back of my FJ40 for 30+ years, they have been rained on and buried in over a foot of snow. They are bolted in using the FST rear corner bracket mount holes. And im currently using this Fusion boat stereo. Bluetooth and radio .
IMG_6681.jpeg
IMG_6683 2.jpeg

I figured there would be a Bluetooth setup by now, will start researching, thx
Here is a cheap amplifier with blue tooth receiver built in. I cant see why you would need more than this. 4 channel. I like Skar audio marine speakers, good value for the sound, but theyre $120/pair. A more eco option is the Pyle marine speaker lined below.

Amazon product ASIN B00022OBNS

You’re absolutely correct, it isn’t just California but pretty much everywhere there are big cities. I’m about 5-10 years from retiring and have been looking for the right place to retire. #1 thing on the list is access to uncrowded backroads, fishing and hiking trails without navigating rude idiots in traffic. My wife thinks I’m petty for prioritizing this, but the older I get the less patient I am with rude or unsafe people.
RE: Your qualities for a place to retire: Sounds like Oregon. Wait, you're already _in_ paradise. Just get as far away from Portland as you can. It's worth the state income tax to stay.

Last edited:
RE: Your qualities for a place to retire: Sounds like Oregon. Wait, you're already _in_ paradice. Just get as far away from Portland as you can. It's worth the state income tax to stay.
i totally get his points...i'm in wyoming and i'm sure oregon is far more populated on those back roads and i think we have too many people here. ;)

While we are completely off topic (I don’t mind) y’all have me daydreaming about retirement. And Land Cruisers-but mostly retirement. Oregon has been good to my family, and has its perks if you avoid Portland. The family does own property in one of my favorite places, and this may be an option:

10E5CC0C-92E0-42EC-826F-31F9A9CD7FA7.jpeg
9706216A-B16D-47A2-8730-C8760EF14AE5.jpeg

On the positive side, it is the perfect place to own/drive an old Land Cruiser. Only two paved roads in the county, super low taxes, no crowds. On the downside, it is four hours to an airport or medical facility worth its beans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom