1961 FJ40 Hardtop.....rattle can rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

R u staying with mechanical FD engagement (vacuum shifter holes not filled)?

No. I am using floor shifted stuff. I am leaving those holes for future options

I read somewhere on here about a replacement fuel cap for the big mouth filler. I ordered one up and it seems like it will work.

Also test fitted the windshield frame. It needs some love for sure. Missing the vent knob and workings. Plus the vent outside cover has been replaced with a chrome one.
20181119_170923.jpg
20181119_171517.jpg

Why the garage is it a freezing 70 degrees out side. Looks good from here Jack.

Mostly cause it gets dark out too early. Plus I want to minimize noise towards my neighbor.
Headed out now in the LV to do some mine exploring. Tomorrow is the 61s day for work.

Rigged up some temp wiring and started the motor. So far so good. Not too much smoke or noise.
Very good! These old sixes are good stuff. Mine runs better and smokes less the more I drive it. They do not like sitting for years unused.

Nice! Watching this, I’ll be doing this on my ‘63. Are you making the rockers?

Do you know if your brake line banjo fittings are original? I’m working with @Rainman on some new ones for me and we’ve seen two different types from ‘61 to ‘63, just trying to get as much data as we can on these early rigs.

Yes, will be making my own rockers. Actually a friend with a sheer and brake will be making them.

Pretty sure my brake lines are original. What do you need to know or see?

You posted a pic earlier of the rear axle that shows your lines coming into the aft rear cylinders from the top it looks like, so you have banjo fittings that are V shaped I guess. A better pic of those would help verify (but not critical by any means). @FJ40Jim ‘s‘62 FJ45 has straight-in banjo fittings (his original axles that he’s swapped out now) as does my ‘63 FJ45. And @Rainman has seen a ‘63 FJ40 that has the V fittings. And these are all centered rear diff axles. So it’s weird in a way that Toyota would go from a V fitting to a straight-in fitting and back to a V fitting in a few years, or maybe it’s a model thing, which would be somewhat weird also. Only real impact is Rainman has to make sure what fittings are in play, not just model year, so he can make lines that fit.

Here’s what my ‘63’s look like for reference.
IMG_1767.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah those look very original. Mystery deepens (@Rainman fyi). Thanks for the pics. Hijack over. Anxious for your next progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom