16" steel wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Compatible 16" wheels

Good Day.
I have had 3 different sets of wheels/tires on my 1985 BJ73.

Any take offs from the plentiful LJ78 Prado will fit straight on.
I have put a set of 15" mag wheels with 31" x 10-50 MTs taken from a Prado and they bolt straight on to my 1985 BJ73 which has discs in the front and a semi-floating rear axle.

I also have a set of factory 16" steel LJ78 Prado wheels from a 1990 with P235/85-16 all seasons and they fit well without any spacers.

As far as I know the BJ73/BJ74 wheels are interchangable with the LJ71/LJ78 Prado wheels.

Currently installed on my BJ73 I have a set of 15" factory white spoke steel wheels which came of a North American spec BJ60 which I think was a 1986 but I'm not totally sure of the year.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Roman

part number:
42601-60262-03
steel gray fits all models of land cruiser
$70 each

I pay about 80 for em. 100 is normal I think but you need to say I paid 80 last time :)

I've bought 11 of these rims since Wayne showed me the light.....best rims out there.

The source is TOYOTA

part number:
42601-60262-03
$70 each

Wayne, in your experience, how durable (as in resistance to corrosion) are they? Will they survive 6 months of salt and sand in the wet east? Do you know if it's possible to get them in chrome?

Nothing will survive the salt of the east. But the silver is waay better than the chrome. At least with the silver every couple years you could sandblast and repaint.

Nothing will survive the salt of the east. But the silver is waay better than the chrome. At least with the silver every couple years you could sandblast and repaint.

I'm not convinced the painted steelies are better than the chrome! Some of my old OEM chrome wheels have lasted with minimal rust for over 20 years!

OTOH, as soon as you sandblast and repaint (been there - done that), it's got to be redone every two years. At about $50 a pop fro sandblasting and painting every two yeasr, what a waste of money, visions of Sysiphus come to mind... NO THANKS!

Now if the wheels were available in Stainless Steel I'd JUMP to get them, but so far the only types of wheels that are done in SS are for motorbikes only...

Am I going to have to have them custom fabricated at a machine shop?!

Thank you for your always friendly answers, brownbear, I haven't abandonned the idea of getting some OEM Chrome steelies. Maybe I'll ask my buddy in OZ to ship me some (AFAIK, they are available in chrome in OZ)...

part number:
42601-60262-03

These are sixteen x _______ size wheels?

16x6" at 3.75" BS...

The-03 stands for grey. Go to Toyota, and see what other ending numbers are available, what color they reference, keeping the 42601-60262 the same.

Mods---There really really really needs to be a wheel part number thread in the FAQ, as these questions have been asked and answered many times in the past, as referenced in the links I provided above...

gb

Good Day.
I have had 3 different sets of wheels/tires on my 1985 BJ73.

Any take offs from the plentiful LJ78 Prado will fit straight on.
I have put a set of 15" mag wheels with 31" x 10-50 MTs taken from a Prado and they bolt straight on to my 1985 BJ73 which has discs in the front and a semi-floating rear axle.

I also have a set of factory 16" steel LJ78 Prado wheels from a 1990 with P235/85-16 all seasons and they fit well without any spacers.

As far as I know the BJ73/BJ74 wheels are interchangable with the LJ71/LJ78 Prado wheels.

Currently installed on my BJ73 I have a set of 15" factory white spoke steel wheels which came of a North American spec BJ60 which I think was a 1986 but I'm not totally sure of the year.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Roman
Hi Roman,

that was an 1981 BJ60 that the 15" white spoke wheels came off of, FYI.

-Chris

I'm not convinced the painted steelies are better than the chrome! Some of my old OEM chrome wheels have lasted with minimal rust for over 20 years!

OTOH, as soon as you sandblast and repaint (been there - done that), it's got to be redone every two years. At about $50 a pop fro sandblasting and painting every two yeasr, what a waste of money, visions of Sysiphus come to mind... NO THANKS!

Now if the wheels were available in Stainless Steel I'd JUMP to get them, but so far the only types of wheels that are done in SS are for motorbikes only...

Am I going to have to have them custom fabricated at a machine shop?!

Thank you for your always friendly answers, brownbear, I haven't abandonned the idea of getting some OEM Chrome steelies. Maybe I'll ask my buddy in OZ to ship me some (AFAIK, they are available in chrome in OZ)...

My OEM chrome 15 inch rims are rusty as heck..........

One thing for the steel rims maybe blasting them with sand and painting them with POR-15 and sterling silver paint. I think that would stand up well.

All the chrome I have seen was rustly....... everyone gets a different perspective.

Thank you all for your answers. A sticky would be nice for sure, with organized information such as pictures and part numbers. Anyway, I've been through many wheel threads about this, thank you all.

Last year I found on the www a manufacturer that claimed to be able to manufacture custom SS wheels. Upon inquiry, however, they only do it for motor bikes. If they can do it for bikes, why can't they do it for cars and trucks? Hmmm!

Then I found a listing somewhere for a 16" chrome OEM wheel that supposedly were supposedly commonly available in Australia, but they were asking and enormous amount of money for something that was basically already rusted.

I believe there is a market for corrosion proof wheels (with minimal care, ie, cover the weld area with vaseline in winter, chrome wheels are very rust resistant) but I guess in North America there is no demand for long lasting products as very few people think ahead 20 years. Since most Landcruisers are designed for tropical and desert market, I am not surprised they didn't come up with more SS options: If a factory made these wheels out of SS, how many takers would there really be?

Anyway... I'll be looking at some tires in the next couple of weeks and discussing this issue with a couple of shop owners I know. Hopefully there are still some inovative minds around willing to look into it.

Chris

you can still get brand new stell splits from Toyota $155 each...never seen the chrome splits before...sorry

you can still get brand new stell splits from Toyota $155 each...never seen the chrome splits before...sorry

OK, I'm quite ignorant as far a split rims are concerned - Will they work with standard tires or do you require using tubes with them? Can such rims be made 'non-split'? Also, some peeps are saying they tend to be dangerous...

Guess it's time to search 'split rims'...

Anyway whady'all think?

Hey, those 16" in the first picture look exactly like the so called splits for sale on the OZ listing!!! Are they for sale by any chance? They look terrible on that 40, personnally I prefer #3, perfect look for that vehicle ;) . Call me retro if you like, I remember my old partner's '67 fondly, had those chrome dog bowl hub caps ;)

Chris

Thanks Chris.. The splits came off the 70 to the 64 and are now in limbo til I get some cash for some 33x10 tires, swampers or bfg.

The 16 non split are on the 70 now. I should have some moab pics with it next week.

Allright! Looking forward to the pictures :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom