130 miles to a half tank....::not bad:: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
After filling my truck up full with about 24 gallons, I was able to get 130 miles to half of a tank.

Seems that for 280k, its getting pretty good mileage with mixed city/highway. It's down on power, but still has some efficiency.

10.83 average.

I was expecting single digits. I need to get it on the highway for a few hours to see how it does.

How does that compare to what you all are getting?

is this the 3F motor? 2F? Best I ever got with a 3F FJ62, with carb, was about 8 km per liter - think that's about 22mpg, but I've got a light foot..

This is just a de-smogged 2F with a "rebuilt" carb that is coming off for a TrollHole. Intake manifold has been resealed and exhaust manifold was resurfaced. Just one small exhaust leak after the cat.

I average around 14 mpg with a 300,000 mile 2f with de smogged de catted with header and dual pipes. However this can drastically change with load , wind, and driving style. The best I have ever gotten has been 17.4 mpg and I must have used liquid "Schwartz" to obtain this figure!

I need to check timing and install a vacuum gauge. I really would like a wideband on this truck...

Tank is only 23.8 gallons, must have been pretty low! lol. I usually stop and top off the tank with 19 or 20 gallons, I seldom run the tank close to empty.

I get about the same reading at half a tank. You should drive the rest of it out for more accuracy though. As you burn fuel you shed weight = better MPG.

On mixed city/ highway that is pretty good. With the driving I've done lately I get 13mpg. I've found that sticking to 2,000rpm no matter what gear is the sweet spot. Although I did get 14mpg while driving 75-80mph on the way to Terlingua.

I've still got a full tune up to do and some mechanical work left. I'm going to do a really thorough rework of the whole drivetrain one piece at a time.

Next up...birfields, front wheel bearings, new rotors/pads, tie rod ends and clutch/slave cylinder! That should be almost a brand new truck, plus the engine tune up.

Sent from my iPhone

If you use synthetic oils everywhere, you'll easily gain another 1-2 mpg.
That's why synthetic oil really isn't more expensive than Dino oil. You make the money back in increased mpg. Maybe it's actually cheaper?

A one mpg increase from 10.5 mpg in a 5000 mile oil change interval = 41 gallons of gas...

The only synthetic i'll use is the mobil one 50wt trans fluid (that you helped me find) Diffs get normal stuff...

The engine will get delo or rotella conventional because its only ever had the oil changed 3k miles like clockwork since new.

I figure by reducing the play in steering and differentials thats also eliminating parasitic loss. Once I get the whole thing working right and get the trollhole carb on, it just might be...practical.

Also, $1.53 for 87 is helping to make this my driver right now.

Run a tank of gas using mid grade and record mpg. Then run a tank using regular 87 octane & record mpg. You might be surprised. On my cruiser, the cheapest gas is actually more expensive due to the mpg hit.

Also 50 psi in the tires will definitely give you higher mpg... At the risk of ruining your back and losing a few fillings...:)

My 87 is desmogged with a trollhole carb and seat of the pants tuning gets 11mpg in town. I've never taken it for much hwy driving, its my mini van/ wheeler. What's interesting is with 285/75/16 tires my speedo reads 5mph off ... when I'm doing 35 on the speedo, I'm actually doing 40mph. We have a school sign nearby that gives you a digital readout and I've seen it on other similar radar displays too. Anyway, I take into account a 5% difference when I figure my MPG and that's close enough. I was ecstatic when I went from the stock carb at 9mpg to the trollhole at 11mpg. If I ever hit the teens I might have a heart attack!

My motor is completely stock except for I disabled the EGR. I get a consistent 15.5 mpg on low-grade ethanol gas. That's mixed driving: half 100km/h highway and half city. I haven't run a whole tank on the highway yet.

11 MPG all day long. That's my 18 yo driving it as fast as it will go....which is why he has this car.

Just drove from MT to TX this past weekend, averaged 15mpg the whole way. Pleasantly surprised with the mileage.

130 miles at half that's pretty sweet makes me realize that something is for sure wrong now lol I think my last take got me alittle over 100 miles ....

Yeah I am in the same boat @WhiteTiger911.... I was starting to see what looked like an average of 9.8mpg for mixed city/hwy (mostly city though). Curious to see what she turns out like after all the engine work.

Yeah I am in the same boat @WhiteTiger911.... I was starting to see what looked like an average of 9.8mpg for mixed city/hwy (mostly city though). Curious to see what she turns out like after all the engine work.

I'm keeping an eye on your work so I have an idea of what I'm doing when I try it. I have to readjust the valves and some other stuff hopefully that will help. Anything is better than 5-7mpg when I'm only rocking 31s lol

I'm about 12/13 in town. I did swing 19 mpg driving from Jackson WY to Red Lodge via Yellowstone and Beartooth Pass, which I thought was good give the elevation gain

DYFLL2Vl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom