12HT Intercooler & GTurbo upgrade LHD 60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

West Coast of Canada. Lived in Malawi when I was teenager. I am a member of Community
Forum in SA. My avatar pic I switched Tim, should he RIP since his passing last month. The big
tuskers have always fascinated me, to see them in the wild is amazing. Not to mention, they
represent pretty fine beer as well!
Oh! Sorry to hear that. We need to replicate his site!

I am thinking of getting the PDI HZJ-75 front mount intercooler for the the 12HT that I will be putting in my 75 ute. Bit spendy but looks the goods. Going to have to work on better air intake.
The intercooler sure fits well, and tight! That is a beaut of a custom intercooler. The deal will be
the placement of the inlet and outlets. If you can get just the intercooler and then create custom
piping that might be the way you’ll have to go. Brian gave up on 62/60 series intercooler.

The intercooler sure fits well, and tight! That is a beaut of a custom intercooler. The deal will be
the placement of the inlet and outlets. If you can get just the intercooler and then create custom
piping that might be the way you’ll have to go. Brian gave up on 62/60 series intercooler.
yeah, I will still need to follow up on that intercooler and the kit it comes with. I like that the kit includes the parts needed to relocate the ac stuff in the front.

yeah, I will still need to follow up on that intercooler and the kit it comes with. I like that the kit includes the parts needed to relocate the ac stuff in the front.
That make it worth it. His stuff is really nice, well made. You’re lucky doing it all as one

Well, today was interesting. Thought I noticed blow by on the aluminum tube right at the elbow
from the turbo. So i put a wrench to the clamp, and the next one......they were all really loose!
So I had to pull the batteries to tighten under the trays. What a pain in the arse! 🥵
Got them all tightened up. I suspected they might loosen over time, but not this bad.
Anyone with experience, does the silicone soften after a bit of use? Seems to be.
I’ll take it for a run tomorrow, got to pick up a tub from the powdercoaters. See if
it made a difference.

You could replace the clamps with locking type T bolt clamp, or use a paint pen to witness mark your clamp and visually inspect to see if loosened.

You could replace the clamps with locking type T bolt clamp, or use a paint pen to witness mark your clamp and visually inspect to see if loosened.
They are SS T bolt clamps. I wanted the Vibrant ones, but the Lordco guy sold me
a cheaper set. As they tighten the socket won’t fit, so had to use a spanner.
I’m too broke to go and replace them today.

I've got the lordco supplied SS T bolt clamps on all the hard to access clamps on the Safari IC in my 80 and have not had an issue with leakage.

This page suggests worm style clamps are better then t-bolt style in certain applications. All the metal ends the hoses connect to on my IC setup are beefy, so that may explain why its been okay thus far for me.

I've wondered about the spring loaded style t-clamps over standard. Is that the style you were thinking, as Vibrant makes both.

If I understand correctly, PDI ships their kits with Breeze worm gear clamps?

hth's
gb

Last edited:
I’m not using the spring loaded clamps. I looked at the worm gear style, but went with the
standard T Bolt. I’ve driven it since, don’t think or can’t tell if it made any difference.
Im just disappointed in how these ones work. Kinda crappy.
I know PDI uses worm gear clamps, I’m betting he has a proven brand he has been using.

This is the 3" dump pipe I got from Australia 4X4Factory Exhausts. It has a pyro bung welded into it.
I got lucky, my exhaust was really well made by my buddy Rob so I removed the section, and bought
a mandrel elbow from Lordco and slid it right on. I got a 3" band clamp they work really well. I figured
it will allow some adjustment as I align it all. Attached is also the 3" ID adapter flange sold by Factory4x4
as well. It's really made well and makes sliding the 3" exhaust into it simple. I'll have my guy TIG that in place
so hopefully never have to replace it. Can't see why as this end of exhausts essentially last forever.
PS - @bcsteel - I got two of the exhaust dumps and adapters. If you are interested let me know, it's sitting
on the shelf in the shop. Figured if I was shipping all the way from Aus, might as well double up and save
on shipping.

View attachment 2192772View attachment 2192774

excellent thread. I did some of the same.

Thanks, I’m in the final tuning stages. Seem to be having trouble getting the boost
to come on earlier. Working on it.

This is the 3" dump pipe I got from Australia 4X4Factory Exhausts. It has a pyro bung welded into it.
I got lucky, my exhaust was really well made by my buddy Rob so I removed the section, and bought
a mandrel elbow from Lordco and slid it right on. I got a 3" band clamp they work really well. I figured
it will allow some adjustment as I align it all. Attached is also the 3" ID adapter flange sold by Factory4x4
as well. It's really made well and makes sliding the 3" exhaust into it simple. I'll have my guy TIG that in place
so hopefully never have to replace it. Can't see why as this end of exhausts essentially last forever.
PS - @bcsteel - I got two of the exhaust dumps and adapters. If you are interested let me know, it's sitting
on the shelf in the shop. Figured if I was shipping all the way from Aus, might as well double up and save
on shipping.

View attachment 2192772View attachment 2192774
Do you still have the extra dump?

So it’s not been running great. But one thing, of many I should have got into the fuel system
before I did all this. So I‘ve pulled the injectors out and shipped them off for service.
1,2, 4,5,&6 were all buggered, described to me as ‘dribbling’ spray pattern and #3 opened at 195.
So new nozzles and full rebuild and they get here tomorrow

Here they are all in a row, before rebuild

BCE5B6E1-120E-4BAD-9E94-284BB00C4652.jpeg

Then a very knowledgeable and good friend came over and adjusted timing on injection pump.
Was a couple of degrees retarded, so we put it back to spec.
It was beyond me, just something I’d not done before and was too sceptical to think about
doing the first one myself.
First pic shows the timing marks. Also needed that big 46 mm socket to turn the crank and
figure out #1 TDC. Then the fuel stack to find fuel at correct degrees BTDC
It was cool to see how it was done. I was also pleased that my newly installed
intercooler charged air line wasn’t really in the way or a problem, by design 😎

2FDF99D8-720E-4187-A8D8-C9416A073DE1.jpeg
A354472D-D29C-440C-AC19-C1DC401A3849.jpeg

Utilized custom made injector nozzles and ran compression test. Engine was cold but
the numbers are good, quite happy
26D7A998-B7C8-4DDE-B164-E02ADBCFD4A9.jpeg

Then a very knowledgeable and good friend came over and adjusted timing on injection pump.
Was a couple of degrees retarded, so we put it back to spec.
It was beyond me, just something I’d not done before and was too sceptical to think about
doing the first one myself.
First pic shows the timing marks. Also needed that big 46 mm socket to turn the crank and
figure out #1 TDC. Then the fuel stack to find fuel at correct degrees BTDC
It was cool to see how it was done. I was also pleased that my newly installed
intercooler charged air line wasn’t really in the way or a problem, by design 😎

View attachment 2291178View attachment 2291179
Sounds like a great friend to have. :)

WHAT IS THIS THING? It is mounted right in front of the stop lever
when we did the compression test. Could it be a high altitude compensator or
something?
290B1515-F5B8-45D2-A6EA-6301DBDDB90F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom