Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hard not to make this a chat thread about COVID Politics right now - but let's try. The best outlet to rant and discuss iis over here: Chit-Chat

Today, went for a little ride up to Silverton.
IMG_20200523_160247.jpg

Things are really starting to happen quick in Colorado now. It seems like it's a race to get opened.

Things are really starting to happen quick in Colorado now. It seems like it's a race to get opened.

Heavy restrictions still in place. New order comes out on Wednesday. We have an idea of what it will look like, but not set in stone yet.

The Hardrock 100 had to cancel last week. They are a HUGE endurance running event that is very important to the Silverton community in terms of financial influx. I only bring this up because if HIHX happens, we need to be extra aware of how beneficial our presence and influx of money can be to the local businesses. If everything happens as we all hope it will, I'm going to purposely spend as much money as I can in the town including things like groceries, nick nacks, meals, etc.

I know 2 years ago, we were able to buy a 2nd raffle ticket for like $20 with all the proceeds being donated to Silverton. I would love to see that again. Heck, maybe the option to buy 2 extra raffle tickets for like $50. Honestly, even if it wasn't for an extra raffle ticket, I'd donate to help out the town that has been so gracious to us over all these years and is home to some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere.

Anyway, it appears all the passes are being cleared (if not already completely cleared as is the case with Corkscrew, Hurricane, California, Cinnamon and now Engineer).

We have been in contact with Dale (HR100 co-founder) throughout this ordeal. They also occupy Kendall Rec Area for their event.

They were in a similar boat as us.... large amounts of money needed to be spent to make the event happen, and as of right now, Silverton is still locals and essential business only. The risk was just too high for them and the info we’re getting from town hasn’t been stellar.

Word on the street is that restrictions will lighten this week. We’ve heard anywhere between 175-250 people max, with 50% capacity in buildings. We’re hoping for 300+ people restriction.

There is a lot of bad info and rumors flying around. We’ve even heard that our event was already cancelled. As of right now, HIH is on. We’ll know more on Wednesday or Thursday when the new order is made public.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Stan.

The Hardrock 100 had to cancel last week. They are a HUGE endurance running event that is very important to the Silverton community in terms of financial influx. I only bring this up because if HIHX happens, we need to be extra aware of how beneficial our presence and influx of money can be to the local businesses. If everything happens as we all hope it will, I'm going to purposely spend as much money as I can in the town including things like groceries, nick nacks, meals, etc.

I know 2 years ago, we were able to buy a 2nd raffle ticket for like $20 with all the proceeds being donated to Silverton. I would love to see that again. Heck, maybe the option to buy 2 extra raffle tickets for like $50. Honestly, even if it wasn't for an extra raffle ticket, I'd donate to help out the town that has been so gracious to us over all these years and is home to some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere.
Ug, that cancellation's not a good sign, especially if you consider a 2nd COVID wave is likely to be hitting mid/end June since we have loosened restrictions. I like the idea of giving back to the town we love, but If money from the Hardrock wasn't enough to save it I'm not convinced a raffle will.

Alternate idea: we spend a day doing something great as a group for the town - I'd give up a day of wheelin if it means the event still happens, instead of no days from a cancelled event. I don't know what the town would appreciate, and trail maintenance seems pretty mundane so trying to think bigger gestures... like build a park (a small one! hey, we all have shovels right?) or a 'breakdown shelter/hut' somewhere remote, or something that wouldn't ordinarily get done and reflects the fact we view ourselves (if I can be so bold as to assume for others) more as residents-in-absentia invested in their success than just cash flows. I mean how many months do we spend talking about Silverton before and after the event?!? It's peppered throughout threads on MUD for half the year I'll bet.

I don't know the answer but I do know my family and I are reeeeeeally looking forward to the event and would be crushed if it gets cancelled...

At last nights council meeting, San Juan County commissioners voted to OPEN the backcounty roads! The "locals only" order has been lifted. Looks like the town is now opening up for business as well! This is excellent news so far. Still have to wait on word regarding the "size" of groups allowed (currently restricted to fewer than 50). They should have a decision by June 1 on that. Stan and Chris are in dialogue with all the decision makers and are working hard to make HIHX a reality!

As for now, ALL backcountry roads are open to everyone. The following passes are open as of today: Cinnamon, Engineer (lower Engineer/Mineral Creek...reported open by one of the dozer operators who drove it in his Jeep), Corkscrew (to Gladstone) and Hurricane (from Gladstone to the summit). They are working on Ophir today and expect to have it cleared by tomorrow. Mike is heading over to Stony on Monday to start that pass and another dozer is heading to Placer/Picayune on Monday as well. Another dozer will begin work on California on Monday as well. They are really working hard (4x10 shifts) to get the trails open. Snow has been MUCH less than we saw last year, but it's still a TON of work Mike and his crews put in to get the roads open. As scary as some of the high country roads can be in the summer (when you can see the roads), imagine plowing snow when you can't see the road at all....YIKES! Those crews are heroes.

As for Silverton, businesses are now open and I am pretty sure there will absolutely be a mask requirement if HIHX moves forward. I would plan on getting a few ahead of time.

Last edited:
We will roll up this weekend and give a report back, will be nice to go in town vs having to stop at the edge of town like we did last weekend. We'll make sure to see Shane(Wyman Hotel)........

At last nights council meeting, San Juan County commissioners voted to OPEN the backcounty roads! The "locals only" order has been lifted. Looks like the town is now opening up for business as well! This is excellent news so far. Still have to wait on word regarding the "size" of groups allowed (currently restricted to fewer than 50). They should have a decision by June 1 on that. Stan and Chris are in dialogue with all the decision makers and are working hard to make HIHX a reality!

As for now, ALL backcountry roads are open to everyone. The following passes are open as of today: Cinnamon, Engineer (lower Engineer/Mineral Creek...reported open by one of the dozer operators who drove it in his Jeep), Corkscrew (to Gladstone) and Hurricane (from Gladstone to the summit). They are working on Ophir today and expect to have it cleared by tomorrow. Mike is heading over to Stony on Monday to start that pass and another dozer is heading to Placer/Picayune on Monday as well. Another dozer will begin work on California on Monday as well. They are really working hard (4x10 shifts) to get the trails open. Snow has been MUCH less than we saw last year, but it's still a TON of work Mike and his crews put in to get the roads open. As scary as some of the high country roads can be in the summer (when you can see the roads), imagine plowing snow when you can't see the road at all....YIKES! Those crews are heroes.

As for Silverton, businesses are now open and I am pretty sure there will absolutely be a mask requirement if HIHX moves forward. I would plan on getting a few ahead of time.

Great intel- Thanks man!

I showed one of the dozer videos clearing trail to my GF- and she said- " sketchy- how do they know where the road is"

Great intel- Thanks man!

I showed one of the dozer videos clearing trail to my GF- and she said- " sketchy- how do they know where the road is"

There are tall "sticks" in the ground (about 10-12' tall) that help then identify the "border" of the trails. They are few and far between (get knocked down in avalanches of course). Generally the guys who plow these roads just "know" them like the backs of their hands. You can see quite a few of them in the photo below. They are located above treeline only and typically on both sides of the trail to form a "gate".

B3217A7F-A793-4AEA-A19A-DAD58F8AF565.png

Eagerly awaiting confirmation so I can book an RV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom