100 vs 200 vs 4Runner for Off-Road and Reliability (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I read some 100 vs 4R threads to get some ideas.

I was hoping to get your thoughts on the best truck for me. I plan to lift it/mod it and it will see some trails and deep snow, but it will be used for mostly highway driving.

My top priority is reliability because I keep cars for a very long time. Low cost of maintenance would also be a plus, making me think that perhaps older 100-Series would have simpler systems than newer 4Runner or 200-Series.

I read that the LC is more costly for repairs, but perhaps it is more dependable so costs more or less even out between the 4R and LC?

I noticed that the 2-Series has significantly more power, so perhaps that should be a consideration? That said, I wouldn't need to tow anything heavy probably ever.

Regarding both on-road and off-road, from reading other posts, it seems like the 4R is more nimble, but the LC feels more solid and has a nicer ride.

It seems like visibility is better in the LC, does this go for the trail too?

I'm guessing it may be worth spending more for something with less than 150k, or maybe even less than 100k miles. That said, I won't be putting many miles on it year after year.

I'm also considering LX470/LX570, but older LX570 to keep to price down.

Thanks

in my opinion. for the reasons you state in your post you would be happier with a 100 or lx470

4runner is not on the same level as a 100 or 200 in terms of component durability, design or build quality. Completely different platforms with a wide gap in between.

“Nimble” isnt a consideration that comes to mind as a comparison attribute - unless you intend to run skinny trails that a wider rig cant get through. Otherwise they share similar offroad capabilities, so it gets down to your budget,
needs wants and likes.

What is your current 4x4?

100 series is NOT a low cost of maintenance. Not even darn close, nor are they easiest to maintain. Yes they are reliable and durable, but that comes at a cost, and always due to needing OEM. The GM full size SUVs and pickups are low cost of maintenance.

T4R isn't made for same loads of 100-200 series are made for. Just look at frame thickness and such. But sure T4R are incredibly capable

Between my father and I we own all 3 - 100, 200, T4R. Compared to the new T4R and 200 series, the 100 is a breeze to work on and relatively inexpensive. IMHO manufacturers nowadays are doing their absolute best to deter the DIYer when it comes to maintenance. One big example being the oil filters - instead of the normal canister type like you’re used to seeing, the T4R & 200 series use a special housing where you only replace the filter medium inside (as opposed to simply unscrewing the old one and screwing a new one in). This is a huge hassle and makes changing oil much messier and longer to do. Beyond that, the 200 is more expensive to have work done to it. I won’t say the word “maintain” with the 200 because other than fluid changes nothing else has been needed to keep it running in top shape. In terms of agility on trails, I honestly say the T4R wins that race. It’s lighter, has 2WD, and the shortest wheelbase of the three. However, the T4R has a much lower build quality than the LC family and they tend to use a lot of cheap plastic anywhere they can. All in all, each one is an excellent vehicle in their own regards and no matter what you really can’t go wrong with any Toyota!

4545B43E-E4C6-4AC0-86E2-9C6896766720.jpeg

Last edited:
Why do you say that? I think my 98 is quite low cost to maintain. And easy to maintain for a DIYer given the wealth of repair information in the public domain. And I think parts prices are reasonable as well if you shop.

LC has fluid capacities that rival or exceed 2500 series trucks. Parts aren't cheap, you need to go OEM if you want to keep the renonwned ownership experience. Aftermarket just doesnt cut it for gaskets, seals, etc. I dont think 100 series are cheap to maintain as you can't just go to Amazon or the local Autozone and get parts for it. For example, master cylinder goes out, thats an expensive repair. OEM cvs from Toyota arent cheap either.

I only say 100s are harder to work on because of front hub

LC has fluid capacities that rival or exceed 2500 series trucks. Parts aren't cheap, you need to go OEM if you want to keep the renonwned ownership experience. Aftermarket just doesnt cut it for gaskets, seals, etc. I dont think 100 series are cheap to maintain as you can't just go to Amazon or the local Autozone and get parts for it. For example, master cylinder goes out, thats an expensive repair. OEM cvs from Toyota arent cheap either.

I only say 100s are harder to work on because of front hub

I think OEM parts are cheap, and widely available on Amazon, RockAuto, just about everywhere.

Considering where you asked the question, you can predict what the consensus will be.

In all honesty, any of the vehicles you've listed, will probably meet the "needs" that you've described. Which one is "best" is going to depend on your priorities. Drive an example of each of them, price them, price the "mods" you're interested in, and see which one is your "best fit". I tend to prefer the 100 series, maybe that's why I have (2) in the driveway.

One could make any number of arguments:
The newer car will have less issues/wear items that would need attention any time soon.
Or
The older car has less electronics and would be easier/cheaper to maintain.
Or
The older vehicle will run into "discontinued parts" sooner than a newer model.
Or
The LC/LX is just a "better built" vehicle.
Or
4runner parts are easier/cheaper to find due to the volume/numbers manufactured/imported.​

Last edited:
Also depends on your budget. The cheapest 200 I've seen is still more expensive than most 100. And are you sure you'd be willing to take a 200 offroad and get pinstripes :)

I could never get really comfortable in my 4runner and there is just not comparable space inside in my mind to the 100 for me.
The overall comfort, ride and road manners where I spend most time is just so much better to me in the 100.

I have not driven a 200 but did have a 5.7l Tundra and that drivetrain is INSANE!
No Timing Belt is a pretty huge feature I think and the complete effortless power especially for Towing would be other things I would really love to have there.
If I thought I could find one in my price range I might consider one but then I would always also be too worried about it off road and the prospect of being "Customized" while being there.

I do think though that each are great if they are what you are comfortable with overall.

If you are interested in a cheap vehicle to maintain, the LC is not it.

Don't take anyone's word for it about how each vehicle drives. Do more research then test drive the vehicles you are interested in. For example, don't test drive a Trail w/ KDSS and expect an SR5 to handle the same way. There is a ton of reading over on t4r.org which should narrow things down for you.

The same is true for the LC. Don't drive an 06 and expect a 99 to be the same vehicle.

Since you are doing highway driving with little offroading but are going to mod it, consider that your gas mileage is going to take a huge hit. I think I got 14 mpg in my lifted 4R with a roof rack, and I get about 13 with the LC with roof rack, bumpers, and lift. Something else to consider...

Thanks to everyone for this great feedback!

Based on your replies, it seems like:
Offroad capabilites would be similar, but the LC will feel more solid than the 4R
The 200 would be more costly to maintain than the 100, but the 100 won't be cheap
I should use OEM parts for LC, which works out because I do that for all my cars anyway
After mods on both 4R and LC, the gas mileage won't be much worse on the LC
I need to be aware that there are differences between models, but also between years of the same model

I will be test driving all three to get a feel for each.

Are the early 200s (there is a 2008 for sale in my area) much different than the late model 100s with regards to maintenance? I like the boost in horsepower but could live without it given the torque of the 100.

Regarding LCs, are there any years to avoid or any years that are better regarding maintenance?

For 100 vs LX470 and 200 vs LX570, is Lexus more costly to maintain? Any other advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks again

The 4Runner is a nice SUV. The Land Cruiser is in its own class of vehicle, above an SUV. EVERYTHING is nicer on the Land Cruisers.

As a part of your consideration I would encourage you to find some 4Runners and Land Cruisers of the same vintage that are at least 10-15 years old. I expect you'll find the difference between the two to be significant.

I worked at Toyota as a Lot Tech (Valet Bitch) for a summer in ~2007. I drove hundreds of Toyotas in the lots. The quality difference in Land Cruisers as they aged was always astounding. The 4Runner is just an SUV. The Land Cruiser is a Land Cruiser. There's a difference, IMO.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for this great feedback!

Based on your replies, it seems like:
Offroad capabilites would be similar, but the LC will feel more solid than the 4R
The 200 would be more costly to maintain than the 100, but the 100 won't be cheap
I should use OEM parts for LC, which works out because I do that for all my cars anyway
After mods on both 4R and LC, the gas mileage won't be much worse on the LC
I need to be aware that there are differences between models, but also between years of the same model

I will be test driving all three to get a feel for each.

Are the early 200s (there is a 2008 for sale in my area) much different than the late model 100s with regards to maintenance? I like the boost in horsepower but could live without it given the torque of the 100.

Regarding LCs, are there any years to avoid or any years that are better regarding maintenance?

For 100 vs LX470 and 200 vs LX570, is Lexus more costly to maintain? Any other advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks again

I think the 200 Series is designed to require less maintenance than the 100- such as no timing belt to service, the wheel bearings are non serviceable, so easier/faster to service (replace rather than rebuild) normal wear items. Not sure how the cost to service matches up however if comparing parts cost head to head, but fewer labor hours potentially.

From all accounts the 200 is more truck- more power- more everything. If you can afford to get into a 200 platform, you'll be better off if this is going to be a long term hold.

Another thing to think about is depreciation. All other things being equal I think the 100 is a much better buy just because of depreciation. If you take your time shopping and pick up a nice 100 with complete maintenance records you could probably drive it a year or two and still get what you paid for it out of it. That's not going to happen with a new 4runner or a 200. I'm not saying that those vehicles don't hold their value well, but the 100 has nearly reached the bottom. I think if you shopped correctly and picked up a nice early model 100, you could probably sell it for more then you bought it for in a few years, as long as you maintain it properly.

Hi all,

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I read some 100 vs 4R threads to get some ideas.

I was hoping to get your thoughts on the best truck for me. I plan to lift it/mod it and it will see some trails and deep snow, but it will be used for mostly highway driving.

My top priority is reliability because I keep cars for a very long time. ..

But you have a budget, right? After all, you're buying used, not new.

So I'd suggest buying the newest, lowest mileage vehicle you can find in your price range, most likely a 4Runner, and don't lift it.

If I could afford it/justify it, it was the 200 vs Trails 4 runner, both are roughly the same price used 26-30k but man that 200 is sweet on the roads. I'm sure off roading is nice. My family would have really liked one, and I'd have to learn to stay of the gas pedal with all that power.

But wasn't a practical 2nd car for me. There's not double value added to do the same things a nice 100 can't do. Funny thing, the 100 is so comfy that it had turned into my daily and wife n 2 kids love the space and comforts of it.

Maintenance cons to the 100, t-belts every 90k, brake booster goes out around 200k (found that out) Cost as much as a tbelt just so wasn't THAT horrible. I hope to get another 10yrs use out the new OEM part I bought. Wheel bearings are on my to do list. Everything else is normal wear n tear. Gas, oil, diff fluids, ect. Stuff you'd do on any truck.

buddy just got a nice new 55k trdPro to pin strip....she hit her skids a couple of times were the AHC in N was just fine and didn't rub
41627952550_0d9510f867_c.jpg

If I could afford it/justify it, it was the 200 vs Trails 4 runner, both are roughly the same price used 26-30k but man that 200 is sweet on the roads. I'm sure off roading is nice. My family would have really liked one, and I'd have to learn to stay of the gas pedal with all that power.

But wasn't a practical 2nd car for me. There's not double value added to do the same things a nice 100 can't do. Funny thing, the 100 is so comfy that it had turned into my daily and wife n 2 kids love the space and comforts of it.

Maintenance cons to the 100, t-belts every 90k, brake booster goes out around 200k (found that out) Cost as much as a tbelt just so wasn't THAT horrible. I hope to get another 10yrs use out the new OEM part I bought. Wheel bearings are on my to do list. Everything else is normal wear n tear. Gas, oil, diff fluids, ect. Stuff you'd do on any truck.

buddy just got a nice new 55k trdPro to pin strip....she hit her skids a couple of times were the AHC in N was just fine and didn't rub
41627952550_0d9510f867_c.jpg
Yeah. I had a moment back in 2015 and bought a new 2016 TRD Pro 4Runner. It was nice, but then I went and drove a 2000 LX. The LX was so much nicer then the $50k 4Runner. So much quieter and things seemed “heavier”. It was like a vault compared to a tin can.

I bought the LX that day and a few months later sold the 4Runner. I’ve never once regretted it.

Today I have a nice 06 TLC that I daily drive and I have turned the 2000 LX into a triple locked beast that I can comfortably drive 3000 miles across the USA and hit any trail I want. All for the less than the price of 1 new stock TRD Pro 4Runner. If one is down a day for maintenance I drive the other. I couldn’t t be happier:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom