(10/21 UPDATE fixed) Wheel bearing failed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my way home from the trail, mile 185/200. Glad the wheel didnt separate and have a catastrophe.

So, what do I look for to repair/ replace? Hub, Bearing, Disc, Caliper, Pads at the least.

9y8XHgK.jpg

10/7 NEW PICS
ULOrJWt.jpg

bugt2ui.jpg

htX29sm.jpg

OvMjTcy.jpg

I have to order new CV Axle too, along with the complete Wheel Bearing Kit.

Last edited:
As we’re not familiar with the context, I’d want to know who did the most recent bearing/ hub maintenance. The snap ring definitely failed, gonna need to inspect everything, flange and CV splines. There will be damage. Then the next important thing is to make sure the opposite wheel is taken down and done right, given this failure. You were lucky, this is not supposed to happen!

Last edited:
Bunch of stuff had to go wrong for this to happen...

Even if the bearings are completely shot it should never separate like that. I'm guessing the snap ring broke in combination with improper preload setting. I've seen a few where the 54mm hub nut is too loose.

Appears the brake rotor separated from hub, not necessarily the just wheel bearing has failed; wowzer!

More than likely: new hub, new flange, new new flange hardware, maybe new axle if the splines were damaged, then probably also knuckle spindle bearing.

I've never seen anything like that happen on a cruiser before. Makes me anxious to do my wheel bearings the next time I'm back in country.

Happy it didn't come apart on you all the way.

take the wheel off and take more pics, looks like a bunch of thing came apart, how did the hub separate from the rotor? Theyre fastened down with bolts.

Jesus Christ I’ve never seen that many things fail all at once......Who the hell did your last wheel bearing service??? I really hope it wasn’t you

Jesus Christ I’ve never seen that many things fail all at once......Who the hell did your last wheel bearing service??? I really hope it wasn’t you
it wasnt me, no record from PO. will take more pics tonight.

Post mortem of my trip: I think the problem started when I 3 wheeled and landed on that driver pretty hard on one point. after that i can hear clicking and my atrac started to act up. to the point, we thought the piston seized and or i dropped a pad. the disc was showing metal to metal friction. it turned out the disc(entire wheel was out of line) and was grinding against the caliper due to the bearing.

Damn! How many miles on that truck?

That's brutal.. Any signs prior to it? Clicking, Knocking, anything?

I've done my bearings several times, this doesn't look like just a retainer clip failure, that would of just let the cv shaft float but not have the wheel fall. It looks like the knuckle broke or the preload nuts came loose, but if you came down hard like you say I would say you have a broken knuckle.

also, come to think of it. this is the wheel that a mechanic changed 2 of my studs.

9IKmu5X.jpg

Cruiser did good, saved lives by holding on to that wheel.

Last edited:
I don't know if even losing a stud here would have that effect. If there was a lug nut torqued down on them they aren't really going anywhere.

But if the tech did anything else while he was in there....

also, come to think of it. this is the wheel that a mechanic changed 2 of my studs.
This would my bet... the 'mechanic' didn't have a clue what he/she was doing and left the rotor loose as well as the 54mm preload nuts when replacing those studs. Never go back that that poor excuse of a mechanic.

This would my bet... the 'mechanic' didn't have a clue what he/she was doing and left the rotor loose as well as the 54mm preload nuts when replacing those studs. Never go back that that poor excuse of a mechanic.
+1, I also think the rotor wasn’t bolted back correctly after the stud replacement.
That and/or the hub nuts comming loose (which shouldn’t happen with the locking washer/tab)

That seems beyond coincidence. I wonder if they beat the hell out of the rotor getting the old studs out or the new ones in. Or as @87warrior said, left something loose.

On one hand, I'd want to shop that made the error fix it on their dime. On the other hand, I wouldn't want them touching it. Perhaps you could have it repaired by another shop, then sue the original shop for damages, but that may not be worthwhile.

at least take it back to them to see the damage they caused and ask if they are going to own up to it all, was it recently taken to mechanic? seems expensive enough that I'd be willing to work on an agreement with mechanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom