1/4 way through a knuckle/inner axle job - first time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtScaresMe

Trouble Maker
Threads
Website
facebook.com
So back in ~December I had oil leaking out of my knuckle joint and came on here to be told (a) I need to do a knuckle/axle rebuild and that (b) I could/should do it myself. We got pounded this winter so I've been waiting to tackle it, smelling gear oil in my snow cakes driveway the whole time. We've had a break in the weather so I got to it.

VS7DIaj.jpg

(I got the inner seal out after this photo)

I'm going after the leaky side right now, I won't have enough time to do the other before the next snowfall.

It's been a fun project. Definitely the most complex mechanical job I've ever undertaken, but with the youtubes out there, my impact gun, nitrile gloves, and some time it's been pretty straight forward. I even bought some dickies coveralls which was totally worth it.

If I do this correctly and can drive around on it can I call myself an official backyard mechanic?

Quick Public Service Annoucement....

A Dorkel converts to a snorkel when you go through water over your tires (all four at same time).

(I have one Dorkel and one Snorkel) :doh:

And great work. Looks perfect.

Did you clean the undercarriage before you started, or has it always been that pretty?

Great work.........you're making us proud.

Did you clean the undercarriage before you started, or has it always been that pretty?

It's pretty dry around here, or snowing. Not really a lot of mud. I aimed a garden hose underneath when I back from the desert a few times but that's about it.

We had 40' of snow this winter. I guess it's always getting "washed" under there.

Dirtscaresme, now that you've done this job, you'll be ready for the next time it comes up, sooner then you may think. I was looking over the maintenance schedule for our steering knuckles in my FSM. Now per Mr T, he states were supposed to replace, change or lubricate our knuckles every 15000 miles, or 24 months, which ever comes first. So it would seem if we all keep on top of our maintenance schedule, you'll be able to get this job down to a single banana in no time.

Last edited:
Sounds daunting the first go around. Gets easier every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom