'08 Removing rear console entertainment (Broken Headphone).. HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.automotivematchmakers.com
Fellow Enthusiasts,

For the last month, my son has broken off his headphone jacks INSIDE, while plugged. Here's what I tried:
- Took it to an Audio Store and the guy tried getting them out with tweezers
- Tried to GLUE a piece off of a Q-tip
- BIC Pen piece
- BOUGHT THE GRIPSTICK headphone Plug Extraction Tool..

None of this worked.

My next option is to try to get the plugs out of the console in the rear OUT.

Are there any written proceduces to get this little AUX console out so I can then either replace them or try to pry out the broken headphone?

Thanks in advance.

Richie.

Most quality female headphone jacks are an enclosed component like below. Unless you're thinking of soldering a new one on there you might be hosed. Just a heads up

H136-05-1000pcs-PJ-320D-PJ320D-3-5MM-font-b-Headphone-b-font-font-b-jack.jpg

Fellow Enthusiasts,

For the last month, my son has broken off his headphone jacks INSIDE, while plugged. Here's what I tried:
- Took it to an Audio Store and the guy tried getting them out with tweezers
- Tried to GLUE a piece off of a Q-tip
- BIC Pen piece
- BOUGHT THE GRIPSTICK headphone Plug Extraction Tool..

None of this worked.

My next option is to try to get the plugs out of the console in the rear OUT.

Are there any written proceduces to get this little AUX console out so I can then either replace them or try to pry out the broken headphone?

Thanks in advance.

Richie.
People used to do that all the time with iPad headphones where I work.

Depending on the structure of the broken piece...I was often able to extract it by jamming a T-pin or bulletin-board pin hard into the center of the metal jack where there is usually a tubular gap. If you can jam it in there so that it's TIGHT to the pin, you can often pull it all straight back out.

Give it a shot...

Most quality female headphone jacks are an enclosed component like below. Unless you're thinking of soldering a new one on there you might be hosed. Just a heads up

Exactly what I want access to.. Now, how to get to it. I need to remove that first so then I can try to order a replacement. Thanks!

People used to do that all the time with iPad headphones where I work.

Depending on the structure of the broken piece...I was often able to extract it by jamming a T-pin or bulletin-board pin hard into the center of the metal jack where there is usually a tubular gap. If you can jam it in there so that it's TIGHT to the pin, you can often pull it all straight back out.

Give it a shot...
The problem is that I can's SEE well enough in there to insert it right in the middle. I'll intent again with a thumbtack.

When I bought my 200, the volume knob on the right was broken to where it wouldn't turn, the dealer bought me a new headphone/rca/volume component.

It comes out very easy. If you pull the whole panel from the top by the vents, that panel just pops off and then you can unplug that headphone component, then release the tabs around the component.

Then maybe you can see and work on it easier. Or if you have to, a toyota replacement was $115 (and I've often wondered if you could plug in a 2016+ one with the HDMI and see if it could work.)

The problem is that I can's SEE well enough in there to insert it right in the middle. I'll intent again with a thumbtack.

You will likely find that a thumb-tack is too fat a pin. It needs to be thin, or it won't usually go into the tiny gap within the jack metal.

Take the plastic ink tube out of a bic pen. Push in until you feel pressure, and twist a bit til you feel it push over the broken jack, then slowly extract.

There is a product called gripstick that is also supposed to work. Try the pen first.

Take the plastic ink tube out of a bic pen. Push in until you feel pressure, and twist a bit til you feel it push over the broken jack, then slowly extract.

There is a product called gripstick that is also supposed to work. Try the pen first.

LOL.. Read my first post.. Tried it all.. Even bought the Grip Stick.. Thanks!

Dang. Did you modify the bic opening to fit around the plug? I used a headphone jack to make the opening of the bic a bit bigger, and it worked on a tablet for me.

I wonder if a tiny drill bit would work.
Tiny straw from juice box?

LOL.. Read my first post.. Tried it all.. Even bought the Grip Stick.. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dang. Did you modify the bic opening to fit around the plug? I used a headphone jack to make the opening of the bic a bit bigger, and it worked on a tablet for me.

I wonder if a tiny drill bit would work.
Tiny straw from juice box?

The hardest part is that I can't contort my body to be able to see inside the port. My old eyes can't focus being so close either. I might have also dropped a bit of GLUE in there when I was trying to get teh Qtip to stick. LAST RESORT, remove the panel and go from there.

UPDATE: Pulled the rear console.. Really easy! Disconnected the aux jack section from the harness and went to work on my bench. Didn't need to unsolder this piece either. This little booger has a little flap in he back the opens up and you are able to insert a little thumb-tack from the rear and the busted headphone jack comes out. These Japanese are great! Thought about it before they created this great vehicle! DONE.. Sound back on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom