07 LX470 Question rust repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y’all, pulled the trigger on an 07 LC470 with 115k miles on it. Interior is great and engine is perfect, but got some rust to it. Most of it is “surface” rust, but there is some corrosion that has created holes in the rear quarter panels/wheel well area. Has anyone had any luck with body shops restoring their 100? I’m in Chattanooga TN btw.
IMG_5848.jpeg
IMG_5847.jpeg

Also does anyone know what this part is?
image.jpg

if there’s rust in that area may be good idea to remove running boards as all along that area is a trap for water and corresponding rust.

Otherwise fluid film it and drive it, that things barely a teenager:)

Post pics of the holes in the quarters. That is a tough area to repair as no one (that I know) makes replacement panels so the rust has to get cut out, new metal welded in, and paint matched to the rest of the quarter.

Post pics of the holes in the quarters. That is a tough area to repair as no one (that I know) makes replacement panels so the rust has to get cut out, new metal welded in, and paint matched to the rest of the quarter.
You really can’t see it from the outside as the plastic bumper covers it up. But here it is:
image.jpg

that's a pretty common rust area. a competent body shop can repair it. Debris gets trapped in there, holds moisture, and there's the result. It looks like it woudl be worth repairing, there's a lot of life left @ 115k miles

Dude when my landcruiser arrived at my house on the transport truck, I noticed the visible underbody a brownish black and not black and I instantly said fuuuuuuq. Turned out not too bad it needed a bath but there was a small amount of what your picture showed. Hasn’t impacted a thing

That's a common rust spot as others have said. When you said quarter panel, I thought you meant the body. I wouldn't worry too much about that spot - you guys don't salt your roads do you? If not, it shouldn't get any worse.

That's a common rust spot as others have said. When you said quarter panel, I thought you meant the body. I wouldn't worry too much about that spot - you guys don't salt your roads do you? If not, it shouldn't get any worse.
We might salt the roads once a year.

I thought that was part of the rear quarter panel. Do you know what that piece is , if not the quarter panel?

Drown all those areas (inside and out) in white Lithium aerosol grease (or Fluid Film, if not exposed to the passenger compartment) and then it won't happen again.

Dude when my landcruiser arrived at my house on the transport truck, I noticed the visible underbody a brownish black and not black and I instantly said fuuuuuuq. Turned out not too bad it needed a bath but there was a small amount of what your picture showed. Hasn’t impacted a thing
I just bought my first LC. 2011 and 92,000 miles. Excellent condition. More rust than I expected and had the same reaction as you did... so you're saying I shouldn't sweat it?

Who ended up doing the work? What did they charge? I'm also in Chattanooga as well and have a 2004 with some rust.
Structural Solutions

He has a shop, but also works out of his house. Cost less than $1k to do those two spots.

He said it would be closer to $3k to have the frame dropped, sand blasted, and repainted. Debating getting that done next.

Structural Solutions

He has a shop, but also works out of his house. Cost less than $1k to do those two spots.

He said it would be closer to $3k to have the frame dropped, sand blasted, and repainted. Debating getting that done next.
Nice, thank you.

Good looking ride! I like that color and the OEM wheels.

Structural Solutions

Looks like it came out well. Can you post a pic of how he repaired the frame attaching to the quarter panel in your very first pic above? I need to get this done on my rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom