Draglink (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at my draglink the other day and noticed that one of the ends is a bit wiggly and the rubber is toast... The problem is the whole thing is one solid piece (typical 55 thing I have read), versus the version thats on my 40 that I can just go buy tie rod ends for.. Can I buy the whole thing somewhere (hopefully not having to sell my left nut to get funds).. Or, is there some way to swap it out with something else??? Maybe even have a new end welded back on?

Fj80 ends seem to be the popular replacement for tie rods these days, and they are cheap, $30 and a lot stronger, and doable by the shade tree mechanic. But, of course you have to upgrade other items as well, which could be expensive :frown:

I have read lots about people using 80 series tie rod ends.. But my problem lies in the tie rod itself being one solid chunk of metal that has the ends welded to the faucker... If it was just the ends, I wouldnt be posting a question. I was hoping there might be a chance that a 40 draglink would swap over or something... Toyota said they had the part (one left) overseas (which didnt sound too promising) and that it was like $280... Is there somewhere I could have something like this fabbed?? Is there anyone out there that has dealt with the same problem? I thought all 55's had this faucked up draglink... Am I the only one? :confused:

I'll check the ones I have here
I have a few but I don't remember what shape they were in
It's FJ55 specific so you're stuck
the rest of the ends are the same as a FJ40/45
I have those too but I'm sure you can get them closer to home

I would think you could cut down a FJ40 one, not enough running FJ55's around here to have ever had that request.

I know what most would be thinking, and yes, I'm about ready to take the whole steering box off and put a 60 series power steering kit in. Eliminating the whole damn problem, and giving me more room for bigger tires.. But, I just need an easy fix for now, until I can do more research and round up the parts to do that kind of a job... Mud Guppie, thanks for your help, let me know what you come up with... :)

Hey there, I recently came into possession of numerous tie rods, drag links, etc from FJ55's. I can check it out and send it to you if you still need it... Wondering why they didn't make 'em with replaceable ball joints...never thought they'd wear out? It sure would make centering my steering wheel easier... Let me know.

Nial

Did you get your parts.I have some,but someone in the lower 48 should have them. Rob

So has ANYONE on this forum actually tried cutting down a 40 rod and had any long term feedback about it? I've got a guy in the shop with a 55 and the stock rod is competely obsolete from what I can tell.

yeah man, i've cut stuff down, lengthened stuff, you name it. on the drag link i cut out a small section to shorten and then sleeved and welded back together. i have used alot of minitruck steering stuff, plentifull and a bit stouter.

I cut down a 70 series and just rethreaded the one side and used 80 ends on it ,,,,,,, the first one i cut and sleeved and installed a rod in the center ,,, Cracked under hard wheeling ,,, so went to the 70 one .

you could always make one, then sell it to another pig owner when you change over to 60 steering.

hey surfpig...i've had the video with your icon on my email at work for the last six months...that is soooo me on our crappy computers.

reusable fj55 drag links are now in the works!

65swb45 said:
reusable fj55 drag links are now in the works!
Blast from the past!

Mine still works (and I've got a spare), but that's good news!

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom