Dash Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks alf. Looks good.

Mark is a way cool guy, I showed up after work at his house and we installed it together over a few brews and some great stories. DO NOT BUT FROM BTB!,Deal with Mark directly.

i remember about 7 years ago this guy in a red fj40 flipped a u turn after he passed my brother and i in in our fj40 on the Alameda going to SCU. He caught up, waved us into a parking lot, and almost sold us his dash toolbox that he made himself. Ours was in good condition at the time, so we didnt take him up in it. I dont remember his name though, wonder if thats the same mr dashman. Does he or did he have a red fj40? im pretty sure it was red. we were around santa clara university.

bigndn said:
I'm wondering if a lever action .30-30 will fit........
:idea:
Or an 18" barrel cowboy rifle. Add a little well placed foam and call the dash box an horsey scabbard. :D

alf said:
I have one. No web site. Just call him.

Alf

ALF, The seats in your 40 who manufactures them? They look like they almost belong.

Steel Horse Super Seats. Now owned by ProComp. I have the rear fold and tumble as well. The fit and comfort is excellent.

ALF

4x4Poet said:
Now that is a GREAT question!

I've been wondering how to secure a rifle out of sight in my 40. Doing so in plain sight is easy with any number of racks, but keeping a rifle secure and out of sight is the more difficult problem I've been trying to solve. Room for a mounted scope is probably too much too ask of the dash compartment.

btt :grinpimp:

if you are serious, if you have a bench seat in your rear, try to find one of the original Con-Fer lockable rear bench seats that folds up and has storage under the seat AND behind the seat is a smaller area that are both lockable. I can fit a tactical AR15 with EOTech site under the seat portion easy :)

confer.jpg

bigndn said:
I'm wondering if a lever action .30-30 will fit........

or a Mini 14.

Send it to me and I'll try it out :rolleyes:

ALF

wantatlc said:
if you are serious, if you have a bench seat in your rear, try to find one of the original Con-Fer lockable rear bench seats that folds up and has storage under the seat AND behind the seat is a smaller area that are both lockable. I can fit a tactical AR15 with EOTech site under the seat portion easy....
That's worthy of consideration, but I'm trying to have a fold and tumble rear seat for extra cargo capacity when I need it. I like the idea of having cargo and passenger room flexibility. You may be onto something, though. I may have to choose between lockable space or the fold and tumble seat if I want out of sight rifle storage. Pistol & ammo storage could be handled by lockable compartments between the front seats or under the driver's seat. I never considered a dash box for rifle storage until this thread. I'm still guessing a short barrel lever action would fit.

Anyone have some time, a dash box, a short barrel lever action, a digicam, and a silver star membership? :grinpimp:

Thanks for the info so far. I'm with 4x4Poet, keep the thread going. I may consider the box instead of a replacement dash pad if it fits a lever-action rifle or something similar.

While I've been wondering whether a rifle of some sort will fit an FJ40 dash box, I didn't think of how secure dash boxes are when locked. Could dash box owners speak to dash box security features?

1. What is the strength of the locked and closed lid?
....a. Easy to pry open?
....b. Only one lock along the whole length?
....c. Any Tuffy/Mastercraft style protections around the lock blade?

2. How secure against picking is the lock itself?
....a. Regular key type or oval alarms system type?
....b. Anyone added latches for padlocks?

I e-mailed mark about a week ago. Unfortunately, I don't think that he got it. I will call him by the end of the week and let you guys know how it worked out.

4x4Poet said:
That's worthy of consideration, but I'm trying to have a fold and tumble rear seat for extra cargo capacity when I need it. I like the idea of having cargo and passenger room flexibility. You may be onto something, though. I may have to choose between lockable space or the fold and tumble seat if I want out of sight rifle storage. Pistol & ammo storage could be handled by lockable compartments between the front seats or under the driver's seat. I never considered a dash box for rifle storage until this thread. I'm still guessing a short barrel lever action would fit.

Anyone have some time, a dash box, a short barrel lever action, a digicam, and a silver star membership? :grinpimp:
Another consideration is that the Confer box/seat is far from weather tight and catches rain or snow when you have the top off, a bikini top actuall channels additional water onto the seat and from there into the box. And they suck to pack around when you want to go camping.

Just ordered mine

Talked to Mark just now. He is a great guy to talk to and explained everything. Thanks a ton mark, if you're reading this. I would definitely recommend at least calling him to talk to him about his product.

rusty_tlc said:
Another consideration is that the Confer box/seat is far from weather tight and catches rain or snow when you have the top off, a bikini top actuall channels additional water onto the seat and from there into the box.

yeah, but that seems an easy fix.. easy to water proof a 99% sealed box like that and pad line it if you wanted. the lip all the way around the uppper seat hangs down over the box edge when closed so water will not likely run down the seat and then back up under the lip. And, to address that IF, weather strip all around the lower lip fixes that. And, you can easily (with water proof paints or POR15 products or spray bed liners) seal the inside of that seat box so easy. the biggest issue would be the hinge, but that is even possible with a DWR fabric under the hinge. so, I think this is pretty easy to over come if you really went that route and wanted to.

Hell, wanting to pack a rifle in a dash box in the first place seems to have way more considerations than waterproofing a box?

Renoron said:
Thanks for the info so far. I'm with 4x4Poet, keep the thread going. I may consider the box instead of a replacement dash pad if it fits a lever-action rifle or something similar.

I'll bet an M1 Carbine will fit.:) I have no dash pad(s) as mine is a '66. I have wondered about the dash boxes with all the crap I carry. I'm going to call the guy.

Ed

wantatlc said:
...Hell, wanting to pack a rifle in a dash box in the first place seems to have way more considerations than waterproofing a box?
Lol

Too true, too true...

I talked to Mark Vickers (408-947-1530) on Thursday last week and he shipped my dash box out on Friday. I got it this afternoon (3 biz days). He was very prompt in all the dealings.

As far as the box goes. It's a great product.

Thanks Mark!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom