10yr Anniversary Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary next month. To celebrate we are going to do a road trip as that is what we did for our honeymoon (road trip out to Grand Canyon other places out West and back.)

Plans thus far are not final. I have a few stops that we plan to make for sure and getting there and back are the only set points I have as of now. My friend moved out to East Sound, WA (an island just off Seattle) a few months back so that is our final destination before we head back home. In between we plan to see another friend in Helena, MT as well as Glacier NP. The only other set point will be Manhattan, KS as we have another set of friends who moved out there a few years ago.

Other places we are considering include Albuquerque, Las Vegas, and Yosemite.

Main thing for us is time due to a few other events and work items we will have to leave in the middle of the week instead of on a friday afternoon. Also we have my parents and in-laws are watching the kids. We are looking at approximately July 17 evening - ~31 (our anniv is the 27th)

Now for where this applies to UC and MUD. ;)
I did some research on flying/renting a vehicle, driving my own vehicle, and buying an RV/van and making the trip. I really wanted to do the van thing, but time and $ ran short on me, still looking at this for a later time, but not this trip. Flying and renting would work but require a ton of scheduling, planning and $ wise it just didn't add up. The only advantage of the flying option is time to spend with the people we want to see/visit. SO this leaves me with driving our own vehicle.

I could take the 80, but gas would be rough and I need new tires and oh yeah its FOR SALE. ;) SO that leaves the 4runner. MPG isn't too bad, ride is nice, its comfortable, with the roof rack and Yakima box it will haul everything, and we can still sleep in it when we need to. Hey this is looking like a great option. Then it hit me, we are leaving in 5 weeks! I cannot pull a JP but I definitely have a few things that I need to get done as well as buy a few things to get ready for the trip. AND I have to get an itinerary together.

Because of our time frame I can't go everywhere we want to, I need to figure out what we can do and enjoy in ~ 2 weeks. I'm trying to figure a few routes and places and see what will be best for us not only for the sites we will see but also in the time we have. From what I can tell I'm looking at approximately 6500 miles round trip.

One thing I am curious about are some really good forest service roads that are out there and can't be missed, etc. Especially within a park we may want to see anyway. (i'm not looking to wheel hard or anything, but some stuff similar to the ole whee or milder would be awesome. If I can fit some of those in I certainly will, but with the time we have its already going to be a push to add a ton unless it is on the way or worth it more than another attraction. As soon as I get some of my dates and ideas for when, where, and how I'll post up so I can get some feedback.

If you are travelling through GA then you should check out this guy's site. He has created GPS tracks for just about every non-paved route in North GA. Georgia Overland Most are forest service roads that would meet your criteria of fun and scenic without serious wheeling. Some routes are county roads that are simply maintained as gravel roads and others are paved sections that connect the unpaved roads.

We had a trip to Rapid City quite a few years back. Lots to see and do there, caves,(lots), Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis ( bike week is in Aug.) and Deadwood. Also on I-70, is the Badlands National Park and Wall Drug.
It was a great trip. I'd do it again.
We stopped at St. Lewis on the way and did the Arch,(it's a must do) and Mammonth Cave on the way back.
I know you were looking for wheeling, but I would love to have a couple of weeks to do this all again.

You better find out what route JP is taking cause he's gonna need someone to pick him up when he breaks down

If you are travelling through GA then you should check out this guy's site. He has created GPS tracks for just about every non-paved route in North GA. Georgia Overland Most are forest service roads that would meet your criteria of fun and scenic without serious wheeling. Some routes are county roads that are simply maintained as gravel roads and others are paved sections that connect the unpaved roads.

Thanks, I have been on that site some but need to check it out more. I honestly plan to try to get past the SE as quickly as possible as I will hopefully have plkenty of opportunities to make a long weekend trip to many of the SE stuff.

We had a trip to Rapid City quite a few years back. Lots to see and do there, caves,(lots), Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis ( bike week is in Aug.) and Deadwood. Also on I-70, is the Badlands National Park and Wall Drug.
It was a great trip. I'd do it again.
We stopped at St. Lewis on the way and did the Arch,(it's a must do) and Mammonth Cave on the way back.
I know you were looking for wheeling, but I would love to have a couple of weeks to do this all again.

I am looking for the FS roads but the info like you just gave is just as valuble. St. Louis and the ARCH are on the list if I can make it through there ar a reasonable time. My friend who moved to Seattle area just made the trip with his wife and they mentioned a few places in SD that were really nice.

I spoke to a friend about getting the rear bumper mounted on the 4runner next weekend. Other items on my todo list for the 4runner are:

oil change
tranny flush and cooler install
tint front windows
figure out what my front end noise and fix
CEL light hand fix (I think O2 sensor)
new TRE's Outer for sure
Mount full sized spare tire
Get roof rack set-up for trip including best place for cargo box
buy a hitch cargo basket
work on sleeping arangements for the rear (Memory foam mat and possible platform?)
Possibly install Light Force 140s on the factory front bumper and make them work as high beams.
Possibly make front winshield and side window shades out of Reflectix

Try to figure out what to pack and where to put it. We have a rather large cargo box for the Yakima bars and I am swaping some 66" bars I have to give us extra space if I needed to mount anything else other than the box. Then I think with the hitch cargo basket we should be good on space and still be able to sleep inside.

Picture of the box:
IMG_1067.jpg

4runner:
83025764.jpg

Keep the ideas coming. I hope to find some good food places too, but do not plan too eat out a ton.

Im hoping to knock out several things this weekend, including getting the rear bumper w/ swing out mounted on the 4runner, oil change, tranny flush, new trans cooler, CB install, and possibly the driver valve cover gasket.

Also set dates: we will head out July 20th, I was able to switch a week later so hopefully that will give me some extra time to get things ready.

I got the rear bumper removed this weekend. Could not get a time set to meet up with my friend to get the new bumper welded on, so I'm going to get the welding dept at work to get it mounted next week. I'm excited to get it on and hope to eventually change around the swing out style, etc but thats a future project.
I did get the trans cooler installed and flushed the trans Also changed the oil and got the holes in the front bumper for the Lightforce 140's to mount on the stock bumper for now.

Talked with a guy at church who has a hitch basket I can borrow so I am going to check that out this week as well. I need to switch up the bars on the Yakima rack as I put the 66" on the front and rear and I smacked the fool out of my head on the front one Sunday. Need to install the shorter one so it doesnt stick out as much.

Trying to get everything sorted on packing and possible sleeping platform, need to check out sleeping space in the back this weekend so I can decide what we need to do back there. I was hoping to get a foam or soft rubber pad to put in the back, but not sure where else to get them other than the flea market??

I have messages out to the 3 people we plan to visit checking on dates, etc. At this point it looks like we may head toward KS first. Childcare is set and working on getting the dogs taken care of. I wanted to see if I could find a trainer to work with the 7 month old lab-pointer while we were gone, but not sure where to find one and $$. According to our neighbors he does not like sleeping outside. :)

Looks like the 80 will be sold on Friday, local guy and I am really pushing for him to join UC.

I have a 2" hitch basket you can borrow too. It's near Hendersonville/Asheville as another friend borrowed it.

2"???

What's he packing in there? A coke and a pack of nabs?

Steve,
Thanks for the offer on the basket. I'll check out this local one first then get with you if need be.

Got the bumper mounted this week and the spare tire on the rim yesterday. Looks a lot better than the dinky stocker hanging off the back. :) taking it back to welding class on Monday to adjust / trim one side as it has a little rattle from being too close to the body.

Also trying to coordinate ordering TRE and BJs for the front end for automotive to put on the end of next week.

Also noticed the fuel filter looks old and should prob be replaced. I bought tint for the front windows Tuesday and hope to get them done this weekend around Cooper's 4th birthday party.

Anyone have any leads on foam /rubber pad I can use for the back as a matress? I know Pickens FM used to have them but not sure if / when I could make it up there. Also wondering if I need to build a sleeping platform or not??

Matt got your PM, looking at your route I would highly recommend you atleast spend a day in the San Juan mountains near Telluride/ Silverton/Quray exploring the plethra of amazing 4x4 trails there. The majority of which are easy but the scenery is mind blowing.... it is one of my favorite places!! I don't have many pictures on my computer here at work but here are a few from my last trip there.

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

this website is old but list alot of the trails: 4X4 Adventures in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado

I did Imogene Pass, California Pass, CorkScrew Gulch, Yank Boy Basin, etc. last time I was there and they were all awesome :beer: I have a guide book you can borrow for your trip if you like.

Also saw you are going to Yellowstone, check out the Beartooth highway via Cooke City if you have time, it is my favorite paved road in the country.

Beartooth Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW SUPER JEALOUS of your trip :beer:

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Thanks JP, just what I needed. I ordered a Moab area guide yesterday that several people recommended. I am going to continue to tweak the schedule, but have to keep an eye on time. Wish I had more time this week and next to get some things done, but between, work, church and a few other extras I dont have much free time until we leave. (Basically Friday afternoon, Saturday Evening and thats it. Everyother night I will get home at 9pm or later.)

Teaser:
4ee48932.jpg

Got LF 140s installed, need to get them wired up, my fogs are not working for some reason now.
Tinted front windos and winshield banner, much cooler temp wise, really glad I got this finished.

I went to Pickens Flea Mrkt on the 4th. (With everyone else in a 3 state radious!) Bought my foam pad for the rear as well as a few other things. (Snacks, drinks, and a Nice soft coleman cooler for $1!) Still trying to decide on sleeping arangements b/c of avail space with rear seat bottoms installed vs. not vs. making a platform.

I am thinking I should pull the running boards for the trip? They sure are helpful when loading/unlaoding stuff off the roof box, but I am afraid they may be too low if we get to do a few trails, especially in Moab. What do yall think?

Anyone have a 12v fan that plugs into a cig lighter I can borrow? Thinking that might come in handy camping. May just go to Advance Auto or somehwere and get one? Was also thinking about making some screens for the windows with magnets and fiberglass screen material. - We have the tent as well, but it is so much easier to camp in the back of the 4runner if possible.

Here is a close map and outline of what I was thinking until JP's post. Need to update/tweak and see if I can swing over to that spot in CO for a day as that looks awesome!

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...OUwhYiDGuMoswLTLoaA&oq=memphis&mra=ls&t=m&z=5

Day 1 - Leave Upstate, SC ~ 4 or 5pm at the latest (I get off at 2 and hope to be packed before Friday.)- Towards Asheville/Nashville either camp or drive through to Manhattan, KS
2 - Manhattan, KS (Overnight with friends)
3 - (Possibly go to church with friends) Then up to Mt. Rushmore & Badlands NP(they close at 10pm)
4 - See MR/badlands if not make it at night or poss see again in daylight? - Then head towards Grand Tetons
5 - YS, Grand Teton
6 - Leave west YS head over The Centennial Valley Backcountry Drive in Southwest Montana, Page 2 : Information, Photos and Maps (Red Rock Pass Rd.) then up toward Glacier NP (meet friend)
7 - Glacier NP (Going to the Sun Rd, possibly Polebridge and stay at Bowman Lake campground one night?) Found B&B in Libby, MT possibly?(friend)
8 - Leave GNP head toward Seattle - Possibly catch late ferry to Orcas? (last one leaves at 11pm on Friday nights)
More than likely staying in North Cascades NP. Would like to hike to Blue Lake if possible.
9 - If missed Ferry catch to Orcas 6:00am or 7:25am Orcas for the night
10 - Leave Orcas, see space needle and Market in Seattle to Mr. Ranier and get as close to Crater NP in Oregon as possible (Eugene?)
11 - Crater Lake then over toward SLC stay somewhere in NV foro the night
12 - SLC to Canyonlands, Arches and Moab

12 - Leave Canyonlands, Arches and Moab possibly make it to Tucumcari, NM? Route 66 (We stayed at Blue Swalow on hour honeymoon)
13- Leave Tucumcari go as close to Memphis as possible (Possible lunch at The Big Texan? Ate here on HM)
14 - Memphis to Home
15 - Should be home by now or really close, possibly sleeping? :) (extra day as a just in case, don't really want to use it for the trip.)

6800+ miles
25 states
12 National Parks
in 15 days.

I would like feedback on places to stay, places to eat, change of route (why, save time, don't miss something, horrible road, etc.). There has to be a few backroads/dirt roads that would be good and not add too much time and/or be too extreme. Looking to take one scepter fuel can and another water one. Open to other suggestions, coleman stove and other basic camping stuff will be packed as well.

Are my distances each day reasonable? I dont want us to be miserable but do want us to see as much as possible.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the running boards. A lot of stuff in Moab is just steep and sticky (high traction). If you get to a point where you need sliders, then you probably should find a different route. Not trying to be a downer, just don't think running boards will be your only issue, if you hit a trail too challenging for your current setup.

We ran a short section of Canyonlands in southern end of the park (take UT-211 Scenic hwy, go by Newspaper Rock) and it was very scenic but also just a bumpy trail with no real hazards. I can't speak for any other trails in that park.

Oh, and this trip sounds epic!

Last edited:
Thanks fellas.

Rick you have any pictures?

I just got off the phone with Tim at RHT. New Upper and lower BJs as well as outer TREs. Getting them installed on Monday. My TREs are toast and one lower BJ looked worn, so replacing it all and upgrading to TACO parts as they are beafier.

Now just need to find more time......

Lots!

Ouray Moab Trip pictures by BMThiker - Photobucket

Scroll down until you start seeing "Day 9" on the photo labels. That's the beginning of Moab. Then "Day 12" is Canyonlands. We took the shortest trail there, which went straight out to the Colorado River, IIRC. Sorry, I don't have a GPS track to share.
DSC07462.jpg

pic of me looking down into the canyon at the river...
DSC07464.jpg

I always recommend an upgraded BJ.

Thanks Rick.

4wd lights started blinking yesterday after being in a downpour in Anderson. Hoping its just a sensor or connection that got some water in it. Could be a nerve-racking week. :mad:

Map still isn't finalized either. Got a great book about Ouray and a very nice 12v fan on Friday. Thanks UC! Moab book on order and hoping it gets here. Start packing tomorrow so I hopefully don't forget too much :)

4wd sensors must have been water or something. No more lights. Bj's and tre going in now hope to be done by tomorrow.

Packed and almost ready to go. Did not get a few things done but we will be fine. Hope to be in KY or IL tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom