Garage paint job on a budget... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I painted my 40 in my garage for under $500. Thought you guys would like to see my results. It took me about a year... I would get real hot to work on it then life would take priority... I am sure you all have experienced some of the same issues! So here is what I used:
-harbor freight HVLP gun #94572: $49.99
-1 gallon single stage Valspar 860 series paint: $148.15
-1 quart standard activator: $53.50
-3 liters UPOL flyweight gold filler: $23.95
-1 pk UPOL Dolphin glaze: $11.00
-1 gallon European coatings primer: $50.00
-1 quart medium primer activator: $25.00
-1 gallon r859 wax and grease remover: $23.50
-1 box of premium tack cloth: $10.00
-1 half face respirator: $18.11
-1 Rigid random orbit sander #r26001 $69.99

My air compressor is a Devilbiss 5.5 HP 20 gallon tank. Definitely not enough air to run a D/A sander:censor:, that is why I bought the Rigid Random orbit sander:confused:... I did this on a budget so don't flame me!
119.jpg
144.jpg
006.jpg

X2
That looks fantastic. How many coats are on there?

I sprayed the hood with four coats of color... I promptly sanded right through to the primer when I feebly tried to wet sand out a run... So i think all in all I have seven coats on the hood and four every where else. This has been both satisfying and horribly frustrating at times! All in all I am stoked. Here is a before and after... Notice I corrected the bezel!:flipoff2:
508.jpg
006.jpg

bad ass!

:cheers::beer::cheers::beer:I did mine in a couple weekends with harbour freight gear, a sears compressor, and paint from ACE.

:) good onya for goin for it! it looks great!

Good job, I just basically did the same thing, but had to acquire a few more tools......mig welder for patch panels and sand blaster to clean up hinges.

I opted for the Dupont coatings using Nason Full Thane Urethane and Nason primer sealer after 4 coats of lacquer primer.

For those thinking of doing the same.....remember those respirator cartridges are good for 6 hours once their opened.

Really nice work man! Your rig looks great.

I have one of those harbor freight guns too. It's the only HVLP gun I've used to date but it got decent marks in the reviews I read. I've found that so long as I kept it super, super clean it was pretty reliable.

Again, great job on the paint!

-Ed

Thanks guys! I got real lucky on this tub it had some dings and scratches but was virtually rust free. I took all the small parts down to sandblast, then sanded the hell out of my tub as you can see by the pictures above... I am stoked to know that I have a rust free solid 1969 Cruiser!:beer: Here are some of the sandblast pics. I had Oregon powder-coating inc do the sandblasting. They charged around a hundred bucks for it all... They charge by the hour so you can get a good deal. I shopped around and another local guy wanted like $400:eek:... Pretty easy decision!:cheers:
107.jpg
114.jpg
113.jpg

VERY nice paintwork man. I take my stuff to AKIES here in Salem, but I may take a look at your guy next time around. Looks like a clean blast. AKIES is a way fair price too tho.

That HLVP gun from harbor is actualy real nice. I have used it in the past.

How did you like the UPOL filler. I used the same on my current build and thought it was great.
What bedliner did you use?

This was my first time painting a rig... I did a ton of research, however price was my main factor in choosing products. A friend pointed me in the direction of Painters supply in Salem. Tracy up there was a HUGE help. I really liked all the stuff I used, however I don't know any different!:meh: My interior appears to be bed-lined, it is not... I was too chicken for a Do it yourself bed-liner. I heard they are terrible to get off if you screw them up. I used a rust-control spray enamel in flat black. It is a cheap rattle can that will buy me time until the budget allows for a professional bed-liner!! Here is a before and after.:cheers:
133.jpg
144.jpg

The rustoleum bed liner is more like a paint. We used the rustoleum and thought it just looked like thick paint and then went over it with Herculiner and it looks great. Its really pretty easy...don't be afraid to try it. My only suggestion would be to buy the tape with the wire in it for a cleaner edge.

The rustoleum bed liner is more like a paint. We used the rustoleum and thought it just looked like thick paint and then went over it with Herculiner and it looks great. Its really pretty easy...don't be afraid to try it. My only suggestion would be to buy the tape with the wire in it for a cleaner edge.
Do you have any pics?

Here's two.....the one of the bedliner......that's Rustoleum on the rear doors...and the bed is Herculiner over Rustoleum.

And a picture of our garage job.
heruclined.jpg
IMG00052-20100525-1953.jpg

Looks great! I am so pumped to drive my 40 around! I will be on cloud nine when I go wheelin!!:beer:

Yours looks great too and you should be prod to drive it around......ours was the end of 3 years of work. When my son and I started he was 15......that's when he learned about spring pins and bushings....at 16....about carburetors and tuning.....at 17 to rebuild an engine and mig weld....and at 18...about paint and body work.

The good part.......now he goes off to college and I get to keep the Land Cruiser while he studies and goes through ROTC! I'm afraid to send it off to a large campus now that its done.

Yours looks great too and you should be prod to drive it around......ours was the end of 3 years of work. When my son and I started he was 15......that's when he learned about spring pins and bushings....at 16....about carburetors and tuning.....at 17 to rebuild an engine and mig weld....and at 18...about paint and body work.

The good part.......now he goes off to college and I get to keep the Land Cruiser while he studies and goes through ROTC! I'm afraid to send it off to a large campus now that its done.
My son is 12... he has helped a little on this Cruiser and I hope to get a basket case to help him rebuild. Should go much smoother the second time around!!;)

My son is 12... he has helped a little on this Cruiser and I hope to get a basket case to help him rebuild. Should go much smoother the second time around!!;)

Too bad your so far away.......I ventured out in the country last Saturday........and visited a guy with 21 of them....probably 19 basket cases!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom