Baja Adventure 2013 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
It's official. Mike and I are going. We both have vacation requests approved for Friday, Mar 8, through Friday, March 22nd. As usual I'm going to open this up to the group.

Pictures from 2011 are up at: Baja Adventure 2011

Note that if you are looking for a cantana tour of Baja, this is not your trip. We will be camping remote, very remote (ask Mike). The more people that come, the more remote I'm likely to make this. My plans are to stay north of the Baja state line. Traditionally I stop in Bahia de los Angeles half way through the trip for food, water, Internet, and a real bed.

If you are interested, or unsure, talk to Mike or myself. Mike can give you his perspective as a first time visitor.

Are either of you willing to take a passenger if I'm not comfortable with my junk's reliability? I definitely want to go.

What? You're driving an 80, of course it's going to be reliable and if it ain't, its on YOU :flipoff2:

Are either of you willing to take a passenger if I'm not comfortable with my junk's reliability? I definitely want to go.

Don't you have, like, 7 months to sort any mechanical issues?

I've seen David on an expo trip. Like me he got a little loose on the way home, we started running everything open diffed just to prove we could in the snow. At one point he wheelied the 80 up a wall.

If you want him to come back from Mexico...give him a passenger seat.

Jon is hoping we will have a 3rd or 4th vehicle so we can get to even more remote locations. Plan A is to get everyone and their vehicles safely back to New Mexico. David will have a passenger seat with me if he chooses that option.

-Mike-

Mike doesn't lie.

There is a beach called Los Corrales on the Baja state line that is super remote. The beach is 30-40 miles from anything (El Barril), and El Barril is nothing and it's another 80 miles to pavement at Bahia de los Angeles. In a pinch we can get to Hwy 1 south of the state line in 70 miles, that brings on other issues. Once on the beach I think there is a road you can follow south to some estuaries in a couple of miles. I also remember seeing in Google Earth the road going south to a stone corral.

I remember camping on the beach at Los Corrales and the sting rays were stacked up like shingles along the shore edge.

Given that Mike likes to "camp" in motel rooms, I just don't see how he is going to handle real camping - if last week was any indication.

McDonalds.

I'm hoping to drive my junk, but we'll see. After last week, it looks like I'll need a new ps pump in the next 7 months. Who knows what else will go wrong, I don't think it was well maintained in the first 200k of it's life.

I'm hoping to drive my junk, but we'll see. After last week, it looks like I'll need a new ps pump in the next 7 months. Who knows what else will go wrong, I don't think it was well maintained in the first 200k of it's life.

Well, you may be able to get away with just rebuilding it before plunking down for a new one. I helped Onur rebuild his;it's a POC (piece of cake). You spend more time taking the stupid thing in/out than actually replacing parts!

Negative. I've never rebuilt a pump with you. I've just replaced with new OEM.

Which means you might have a core you would rather not have to haul to UT that David could rebuild.

Jon, I will try to get contact info for a guy I met at the wedding reception in Ouray. he is German with a G-Wagon and has gone to Baja 4 times this year alone. they go and do similar remote areas too (along with some town stuff). he had some cool pics.

Thanks Shawn. Sounds like he could show us some new places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom