Interior Tire Mount 91-97 FJ/FZJ80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtbcoach

Threads
Currently Not Available

Due to a new connection with a local laser cutter, I've decided to re-enter the market with this design.

I was asked by a fellow Olde North State Cruiser member to help come up with a way to mount his spare tire, other than building a swing out tire carrier. He had a 4X4 Labs rear bumper that is fully capable and ready for a swing out spare mount, he just didn't want to go that route.

So, after some thought and a couple Smuttynose IPA's, I came up with this. It uses the OEM mounting holes for the 3rd row seat rail on the driver's side. I also incorporated the 3rd row seat belt bolt which adds another level of security and stability.

The best part, it takes minutes to install, no holes to drill and is very stout. It also has over 3" of adjustability, allowing tires from 31-37" to be mounted inside the rear cabin. This adjustability allows the tire to sit on the floor and not rattle at all. The mount also allows one to slide the tire out without significant adjustment/removal of rear cargo, just tilt the tire/wheel away from the mount and it will roll right off the tailgate.

I'll offer them in two formats, Square and Round.

The Square...made from 1.5 X 1.5 X 0.120" square tubing and 7 gauge plate, exceptionally over-built (19 lbs shipping weight).

The Round...made from 1.5 X 0.120" round tube and 7 gauge plate, no compromise other than shape

$195 raw

Both will be available in the raw, for the end user to paint/finish as they see fit. Or, available powder coated in Satin or Gloss Black (other finishes available on request).

Now, to the good stuff, the pics...
file-130.jpg

file-135.jpg

file-136.jpg

file-39.jpg

file-38.jpg

file-37.jpg

Features of both...adjustability...This picture shows the Interior Tire Mount with a brand new, BFG KM2 315/75/16 tire on a stock OEM alloy wheel. You can see that it will adjust up another 1" and down 2" (3" total travel) to accommodate tire/wheel from 31-37"...
file-111.jpg

It has clearance to the 2nd row seats over 1.5" and 4" to the rear tailgate...
file-115.jpg

file-118.jpg

What comes in the box...one Interior Tire Mount, one wheel mount, one 2 X 1/2"X 13 tpi bolt, one 1/2" X 13 tpi square nut...
file-17.jpg

Bottom line...How much?

Your pick, round or square - $195 raw, + powder coating + shipping

PM me here if you are interested.

Last edited:
Installation of the Interior Tire Mount.

Easy as one could imagine. No drilling or modification of the rig, 6 bolts to remove, 5 bolts to install. Here is all you need for the install...
file-126.jpg

Some pics to help, just in case. Here is the driver's side seat rail to be removed...
file-119.jpg

Remove these bolts...
file-120.jpg

file-121.jpg

file-122.jpg

file-123.jpg

file-124.jpg

file-125.jpg

Save your hardware, install the Interior Tire Mount to the two front, two middle and rear seat belt bolt. Roll the tire/wheel into place, use the 1/2 bolt, inside the wheel mounting plate, align it with the square nut in the channel and tighten. You are done.

Here is a quick video of how it looks in real time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3mpUKDZwtQ&sns=em

Torque specs for 12mm bolts = 14-22 ft/lbs, 14mm bolt = 25-40 ft/lbs

Pics of the final install with a BFG KM2, 315/75/16 installed on the Interior Tire Mount...
file-127.jpg

file-128.jpg

file-129.jpg

file-11.jpg

file-15.jpg

PM me if you have any questions...

Last edited:
Awesome work Jerry! :beer:

As an owner of a heavyweight version I have nothing but great things to say about it. No regrets whatsoever from me. I love my tire carrier.

Awesome work Jerry! :beer:

As an owner of a heavyweight version I have nothing but great things to say about it. No regrets whatsoever from me. I love my tire carrier.

Thanks guys, glad you enjoy your's and thanks to Joe for the inspiration to make this monster...

Nice new product with a video of an idiot proof installation guide.

Someone will ask what should the bolts be torqued at?

Thanks, I'll add the standard torque specs for 10mm/1.25 and 12mm/1.25 bolts...

Had no idea this even existed. Was this in the 80s forum? I have an IPOR rear bumper and tore carrier so its not for me BUT I know a few people that could use this.

I need to start a new thread to give it more exposure. It got a bit muddled in a "concept/prototype" thread.

I agree, not for everyone. It wasn't on my "radar screen" until a fellow club member asked to see what I could come up with. I have a 4X4 Lab bumper built from one of Luke's kits and love it, yet, I have encountered many who don't want to go through the expense of going that route.

Glad I could find a way to make those 80 owners happy...

I've been asked how a Powertank would be mounted to the Interior Tire Mount, so drilled and tapped 3 holes in the mount, cut a piece of plate, used a "big" QuikFist and here it is...
file-20.jpg

file-17.jpg

file-15.jpg

file-4.jpg

file-8.jpg

Its tight for sure but more than an inch between the Powertank handle and the window...
file-11.jpg

Best access is through the rear driver side window, hook up the air line and air up tires or run your pneumatic tools...
file-14.jpg

Love the solid simple design of this nothing beats a bolt on solution at a fair price. Now if you could just figure out how to make a simple solution for mounting a swing out on the factory rear bumper!

Love the solid simple design of this nothing beats a bolt on solution at a fair price. Now if you could just figure out how to make a simple solution for mounting a swing out on the factory rear bumper!

Its been done I believe.

I built a "swing down" tire carrier w/ladder for a club member on his stock bumper although, he did remove the plastic to do it...

fj80swingdown3-05.jpg

fj80swingdown3-03.jpg

fj80swingdown3-06.jpg

In the other thread you had mentioned possibly making a passenger side version. Any news on that?

Sorry I didn't follow up sooner...

I've been getting my system down for this first version. I should have some time later this week/weekend to get some templates made from the passenger side wheel wells...

I would also be interested in a passenger side mount with the powertank attachment. Powder coated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Sorry I didn't follow up sooner...

I've been getting my system down for this first version. I should have some time later this week/weekend to get some templates made from the passenger side wheel wells...

Jerry

Some thoughts on the design. After watching the install vid I thought about what would happen in a reasonably hard front collision? Would that single bolt mounted to the rim be strong enough to withstand the inertia of that heavy 35" tire? From my job background everything is over engineered. See where I'm going with this? Did you look into possibly flipping the hub plate and mounting it from behind the rim and welding on three studs at least and use OE lugs to mount it to the rim? I know using 6 would be ideal but it makes it that much harder to remove it from the mount. Would this design be possible to incorporate into the rest of your design without too much changes while allowing the height adjustability?

Oh yeah and the reason I'm concerned about it tossing about in the cabin in the event of an accident is not to protect me but to prevent it from landing on my 1yr old son.

That is a valid point above. I was going to order one of these and still would.

Jerry, if you do modify the design to use 3 lug studs to mount the tire count me in.

Nice job so far. All things need tweaked every now and then. Keep up the good work.

That is a valid point above. I was going to order one of these and still would.

Jerry, if you do modify the design to use 3 lug studs to mount the tire count me in.

Nice job so far. All things need tweaked every now and then. Keep up the good work.

Not the issue, not the reason for my decision...

To reply to PM's and other comments...

The choice in using a single 1/2" bolt in lieu of using 3 or more wheel studs was to make the collective community's desire for adjustability, not to compromise strength.

Yet, I'm no mechanical engineer. I do research as much as one can, using on-line resources, consult with personal friends who ARE mechanical engineers and its MY OPINION, that it is ample in strength for its intended use. Will it survive ALL catastrophic events, in all probability, no. Will it survive the life of the vehicle it is installed in, yes.

Would it be stronger to use 3 wheel studs, yes. Would it be stronger to add a piece of tubing up to the grab handle, yes. Would it be stronger to add a 2'x3' piece of 1/4" plate, bolted to the floor, yes. This could go on and on with speculation, guess work and doubting the workmanship, materials and design.

I don't have a "Mythbusters" set with a vehicle sled that I could create an analog of the rear fender well and mass of the FJ/FZJ80, install the mount, install a 37", BFG Krawler mounted on a steel, double beadlock wheel (worst case scenario) and crash it into a wall to observe the results. As fun as that sounds, not practical for someone like myself or even a big dog company like ARB, AllPro, Slee, Iron Pig or other professional companies and fabricators.

It is what it is. If you think its not safe enough for your personal use, sorry. If you want some customization that will make you feel better? Send me a PM and ask if I would modify it to fit your needs. Being a one man, part time, home fabricator, its certainly possible that I would comply.

Yet, none of this means anything if I can't find a way to protect myself and my family against an overly zealous attorney who wants to speculate that this tire mount was under-engineered, as was posted on this public forum, notifying me that there is concern over the design. Signing waivers, putting disclaimers such as "for off-road use only", "not for use at speeds greater than 15mph" or other similar statements don't protect individuals in today's legal environment.

At least, that is what I've been told thus far. Once I find a way to protect myself, I'll consider making more of these. Of course, that goes with saying I have the pieces for 6 of these sitting on my shelf, 2 others completed that will sit dormant until that day happens.

Sorry, thats my story and I'm sticking to it...

With this in mind, pretty much ANY mod being sold would fall under the same liability issue. Sorry to hear about your decision but totally understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom