No BS...Has anyone in the US hooked a Manual Trans to the 1FZ-FE in an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Obligatory "My transmission died so how about a 5 speed swap" time.

So anyway, I believe SOR has the transmission...I would assume the bellhousing since it looks like the 1FZ and 1HD-T use the same bell housing...or I could have read wrong. Could probably source the pedal buckets there but I see people have adapted 60 pedals.

I know this is going to be spendy if possible. I can lay out the cash, but I dont have the ability to blaze the trail mechanically. So my question is, other than the dude who put the Taco 6 speed in his 80 (awesome, but well beyond my ability) has anyone gotten a manual in a 93+ 1FZ truck with parts one can actually get here in the US?

the 1FZ-FE Engine ECU works in conjunction with the tranny ECU to make some of it's decissions and I've read that it won't run well if divorced.

Now I have a H55F/toybox/split case slated for a 91/92 with a 3FE which should work OK.

What about the 93-94? Don't they have separate trans controllers?

Another roadblock it would seem. Just about to give up on the whole damn truck.

Another roadblock it would seem. Just about to give up on the whole damn truck.

where do you live? car-part.com indicates that you can get another A442F for as little as $200.

Its funny, I have a really clean H55 just sitting in my garage collecting dust too :hmm:

It is a 93 so it has the seperate TCU. I am just at my witts end with it. It is a daily driver. I've replaced the engine with a new 1FZ, done the axle service, brakes, rebuilt the front diff (was run low on oil), and done a million other things. I would like to get my weekends back. However I could get motivated to do the 5 speed bit. As to just replacing the auto I'd probably rather just park it, dumb as it sounds.

the 1FZ-FE Engine ECU works in conjunction with the tranny ECU to make some of it's decissions and I've read that it won't run well if divorced.

Now I have a H55F/toybox/split case slated for a 91/92 with a 3FE which should work OK.

Could you set up a stand alone engine management system to run the engine and skip the factory ecu? I have a Megasquirt setup on my 87 BMW and I've simplified the engine management quite a bit. No more MAF (vane airflow meter), soon to go distributorless etc.

Despite lots of talk, including a little of mine (the 80 is the first vehicle I've ever owned with an auto tranny, except for that half-interest in my brother's 73 Vega 2-speed:p:rolleyes: ), let's just say that swapping in a manual tranny is non-trivial.

Yep...Thats what I figured. I'll fix it but I am afraid it is time to get some little penalty box of a car for the commute and retire this as a daily driver.

For the record, before you put your 80 out to pasture, and climb into a rolling silver box of purgatory, I hope there is some good input on this thread as well. It's not that my old trans is shot, I would just like to get back to the feel of driving as opposed to letting the slushbox do the job. I know they may be better for a lot of off-roading, I just like the control of manual, especially with the 3FE's "raw and humbling" powerband. ;)

For the record, before you put your 80 out to pasture, and climb into a rolling silver box of purgatory, I hope there is some good input on this thread as well. It's not that my old trans is shot, I would just like to get back to the feel of driving as opposed to letting the slushbox do the job. I know they may be better for a lot of off-roading, I just like the control of manual, especially with the 3FE's "raw and humbling" powerband. ;)

If you have a 3fe it is not all that hard, h42 and h55 will bolt right up. If you add the toybox it is almost a bolt in deal lengthwise.

Its funny, I have a really clean H55 just sitting in my garage collecting dust too :hmm:

Joey, Mud classifieds. I sold my new crate H55F in a couple days...

Of course, I have bins of stuff to offload that I just sit on, plus my 60, so what I am saying?

I run a Tacoma 6 speed manual (not a bolt in) behind my mildly built 1FZ, it's very nice.

Ah, you are the guy. Yes, I read that whole thread longingly but I just don't have the skills. I have no problem bolting in stuff and change my own motors, etc, but I have zero skill in the fabrication department. That swap is awesome though and the flywheel was a work of art.

Also if I did find this magic bellhousing I am assuming my best bet for the H55 would be to attach a 60 splitcase to it? I don't know. I may look at it. It is summer and I am a mile from work so I could park it for a while. Just wonder if the stuff can be sourced in North America at any cost. I dont necesarily mind running down parts, even from Canada...but I don't speak Japanese and Im not really willing to ship big stuff from Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom