Builds V8 Swap Project Begins! Again with LS2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

This will be the new thread to follow for the LS2 swap. To Recap quickly from the other swap thread. My reasoning to swap again is for several reasons.
1. I am fascinated with the LS2 and must have one.
2. I feel I have hit the limits with the A442F. I want to see how the GM trannies perform.
3. I want to drive this vehicle longer distances and back and forth to work once and awhile. The extra 100hp over the LT1 will be fun.

So I chose the 400hp LS2 engine from a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS because of the Aluminum block, Manifold designed for more low end power, and ideal front accessory layout. The matching transmission is a 4L70E and I am using that mated to the factory HF2A tcase via a Marks conversion adapter.

The project will move fast and then at a snail crawl from time to time. I own a manufacturing business (really it owns me) so often I will disappear for awhile bc the biz workload dictates I focus 100% on it and not my toys. So hang on, I will try to post up as many pics as I can and as much detail as possible with the time I have to share it with fellow mud members.

Kirk
Resize of 2010-07-13 21.06.27.jpg
ShortBus and V8 80
Resize of 2010-07-13 21.06.13.jpg
Resize of 2010-07-13 21.06.04.jpg
Resize of 2010-07-13 21.06.27.jpg
Resize of 2010-07-13 21.06.13.jpg
Resize of 2010-07-13 21.06.04.jpg

Race

Sounds like we'll be doing this at the same time.

I'm awaiting my adapter from AA, and my engine hasn't shown up yet. Can I tag along? When my parts show up, it'll be non stop for me.

I'm working on the two electrical connectors under the dash. I'm making my GM harness "plug" into the Toyota harness. It looks pretty painless for me at this point. I'm going to make another harness for the 4wd stuff plug into the GM harness. I'm on the last system diagram right now, the A/C.

I'm not sure if I'm going to go Strictly GM or Toyota, or integrate the two. :hmm: (regarding A/C)

What did you do with your old set up? (regarding A/C)

Hey guys,

Having recently converted to an LQ9 engine, I have had SOME cooling issues running a stock radiator. While I know most people will just say...go buy a Ron Davis setup.

I am currently working with RnD Fabrication (featured on GearzTV) to prototype an aluminum radiator that is meant to replace the stocker, be slightly thicker, and come with a shroud/fan combo (if desired).

Let me know if you guys have any interest. If so, I am guessing the guys at RnD will speed up production if there are multiple folks interested.

PS - post conversion, these rigs really haul for a 6K pound truck. Super happy I decided to go through with it, although I am not happy with the transmission I used (early 4L60E that is a non-pulse width modulated unit).

PS - post conversion, these rigs really haul for a 6K pound truck. Super happy I decided to go through with it, although I am not happy with the transmission I used (early 4L60E that is a non-pulse width modulated unit).

can't hold the V8 powa and cruiser height .. ?

which it's the average cost of the marks adapter . ?

Hey guys,

Having recently converted to an LQ9 engine, I have had SOME cooling issues running a stock radiator. While I know most people will just say...go buy a Ron Davis setup.

I am currently working with RnD Fabrication (featured on GearzTV) to prototype an aluminum radiator that is meant to replace the stocker, be slightly thicker, and come with a shroud/fan combo (if desired).

Let me know if you guys have any interest. If so, I am guessing the guys at RnD will speed up production if there are multiple folks interested.

I own a Ron Davis. It is the answer as far as I am concerned for any 80 series cooling issue. It bolts right in just fine. It solved the problem immeadiately. Buy it and be done with the problem forever. Also I am not a fan of electric fans. They are great for sports cars but thats it. Mechanical only for me. Look at any vehicle that is a severe duty idling vehicle and it has a mechanical fan.

FANS

Yeah, I'm going to run electric fans and stock radiator for now, but I'm building a custom proper fan shroud with proper ducting. I'm not going to be pushing mine hard like you guys, more of a street / camping / daily. We'll see. If not , I'll make an adapter and go mechanical.

I own a Ron Davis. It is the answer as far as I am concerned for any 80 series cooling issue. It bolts right in just fine. It solved the problem immeadiately. Buy it and be done with the problem forever. Also I am not a fan of electric fans. They are great for sports cars but thats it. Mechanical only for me. Look at any vehicle that is a severe duty idling vehicle and it has a mechanical fan.

For what it's worth, the following thread has details of my very poor experience with Ron Davis, and one other on this thread also has had cracking issues. The cracking may be 62 specific, but the poor engineering and customer service that Ron Davis gave me certainly is not:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/399028-best-60-series-radiator-available.html

For what it's worth, the following thread has details of my very poor experience with Ron Davis, and one other on this thread also has had cracking issues. The cracking may be 62 specific, but the poor engineering and customer service that Ron Davis gave me certainly is not:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/399028-best-60-series-radiator-available.html

Wow! Just looked at your thread... I own a Ron Davis and am really surprised! I have been really happy with my radiator and the company. The radiator bolted right up and fit perfect! Sorry you had a bad experience! I bought mine because I am planing a turbo in my future and I wanted more reserve than a stock radiator would offer. So, I agree with kirk even on the hottest days, or running hard through the desert, I have peace on mind.

Awesome! I have been kicking this idea around after I finish my L33 swapped BMW M3.

Can't wait to see the progress!

Subscribed!

Where are y'all getting your engines from? I'm having a hard time finding full assemblies.

Thanks,

Subscribed.

Couple of questions as I am really interested in swapping in a LQ4/4L80E/ ? xfer case (maybe an NP203) into my 94.

What is your reasoning for a LS2 vs the LQ4/LQ9? It is my understanding the LQ motors are better suited for heavy trucks and have better low end torque.

How do you test for clearances and fit? Do you actually get the drivetrain first, then start lining things up? Or is there a good source for dimensional drawings?

How do you sort out the wiring? Get the EWDs for all the components and start cross-referencing? Is there a company that makes custom harnesses for these swaps?

Are you making harness adapters that will be plug and play, or are you cutting the factory harness and splicing wires?

Where do you get your parts from? I have seen a couple wrecked trucks with most of the drivetrain I want. Is this how it typically works?

If you do make custom brackets, wiring connectors, etc, are you considering marketing these so other can follow in your conversion footsteps?

Thanks! :cheers:

Subscribed!

Where are y'all getting your engines from? I'm having a hard time finding full assemblies.

Thanks,

Search Car-Part.com you can find lots of engines there.

Jones auto in Orleans Indiana is where I bought my setup this time. I found it on car-part.com

Subscribed.

Couple of questions as I am really interested in swapping in a LQ4/4L80E/ ? xfer case (maybe an NP203) into my 94.

What is your reasoning for a LS2 vs the LQ4/LQ9? It is my understanding the LQ motors are better suited for heavy trucks and have better low end torque.

THE TBSS LS2 ENGINE I PICKED HAS THE TRUCK MANIFOLD AND THE
VETTE ALUM BLOCK. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

How do you test for clearances and fit? Do you actually get the drivetrain first, then start lining things up? Or is there a good source for dimensional drawings?
SWAPS ARE LEAPS OF FAITH AND ARE NOT FOR THE WEARY. THERE ARE LOTS OF CHALLENGES TO OVERCOME AS THE PROJECT PROGRESSES. THIS IS THE FUN PART OF THE PROJECT FOR ME. I ENJOY SOLVING THE RIDDLES.

How do you sort out the wiring? Get the EWDs for all the components and start cross-referencing? Is there a company that makes custom harnesses for these swaps?

WIRING IS THE MOST TIME CONSUMING TASK. LOOK AT MY LT1 THREAD TO SEE ALL THE CRAP THAT GETS CUT OUT. IT IS A HUGE PILE. I HAD THE FACTORY DIAGRAMS ENLARGED AND SOUGHT OUT ALL THE 1FZ RELATED ITEMS AND CUT THEM OUT. THERE IS NO MAGIC HARNESS. THE END RESULT IS A THINNER OEM HARNESS AND A GM HARNESS BLENDED INTO THE OEM.

Are you making harness adapters that will be plug and play, or are you cutting the factory harness and splicing wires? CUT AND SPLICE IS ABOUT THE ONLY WAY

Where do you get your parts from? I have seen a couple wrecked trucks with most of the drivetrain I want. Is this how it typically works? CAR-PART.COM IS THE LOCATOR I USE TO FIND THE LS ENGINES AND TRANNIES.

If you do make custom brackets, wiring connectors, etc, are you considering marketing these so other can follow in your conversion footsteps? THE TIME IT WOULD TAKE TO MAKE A KIT AND MOST OF ALL SUPPORT BUYERS TO PERFORM CONVERSIONS WOULD JUST BE NOT FEASIBLE PRICEWISE. I WISH I COULD HELP EVERYONE OUT BUT THIS IS MY HOBBY. UNFORTUNATELY WHAT IT COSTS TO REALLY DO THIS RIGHT IS FLAT OUT MORE THAN A 80 OWNER WOULD SPEND.

Kirk,

After exploring all my options, Ron Howard may be the right way to go (despite the poor experience of the feller who posted in this thread above). Is the one you are running a stock replacement, or did you go with one of their universal-ish off-road radiators?

Kirk,

After exploring all my options, Ron Howard may be the right way to go (despite the poor experience of the feller who posted in this thread above). Is the one you are running a stock replacement, or did you go with one of their universal-ish off-road radiators?

It is the man-a-fre stock replacement version.

Ron Howard from Happy Days? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom